Keto vs. Intermittent Fasting--which is better

(bulkbiker) #2

I found a combo of the two the most powerful…

(576ba53667202687abe2) #3

That crab is actually a very sweet crab to eat.

As for the intermittent fasting with keto it kinda falls into doing some Johnson’s up day down day diet. I’m keeping that as a thought if a stall kicks in.

(charlie3) #4

My mantra is feasting, fasting, and fitness. It’s what I eat, when I eat, and how I burn it. I believe all three need to be there, working together, to get good results.

(Running from stupidity) #5

Yeah, it’s a ludicrous false dichotomy.

Still, gotta create content in order to share it to places to get views!

(Robert C) #6

If I had to pick one, I’d say IF is better for weight loss.
You can always turn up the volume (skip more meals, less hours fed) to move things along.
If you had to lose 20 pounds soon, for some event, IF can be tuned to get you there.

Keto (implemented as suggested here) can have you gain, plateau or drop depending how far you have gone into fat adaptation, the diet you had previously and where your hormones / insulin resistance is.
For the same example (having to lose 20 pounds soon) I wouldn’t depend on just Keto. Keto will get you to the event with (probably) the most improved blood numbers but - maybe not without the 20 pounds.

(hottie turned hag) #7

Cannot deny this triad is optimal! :+1:

But what I adore about keto is even I, who view exercise as akin to being flogged or waterboarded, can and did lose much weight and reap many health benefits while breaking nary a sweat! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bob M) #8

If “fitness” changed to “increased activity”, I think that would be good. I personally like exercise, and have never stopped exercising even while gaining about 90 pounds or so. Low carb (mainly keto, but some paleo, then keto again), then IF or longer fasting has helped me lose about 60 pounds of that. But over this time, my exercise has decreased.

Right now, I split my body into two sections and lift weights one day on one section and do some HIIT, then lift weights on the other section + HIIT, then a third day of jogging. It works out to be about 2.5 hours of exercise per week. Does this make me “fit”? That depends on your definition of “fit”.

(David Cooke) #9

The joke is that intermittent fasting is much easier if you’re in ketosis, at least in my case. I’m not sure that the question can easily be answered. I went low carb (30 gm a day, which is likely as not still keto) and do a 24 hour fast once a month. Not the same for every one.

(charlie3) #10

So define fitness as the capacity for activity. It can mean different things. I wallk 3-4 miles every day to maintain fitness for walking. I do 60 minutes of cardio for a lot of different benefits. Finally I do 3 30 minutes resistance training sessions per week. My exercise goal is to be as fit as possible with no health compromises.

A question that interests me is what percent of daily calories should be burned by activity for optimal health. I have yet to find any writing on that. In the preceding 7 days I’ve averaged 1050 calories from walking, cardio, and lifting which represent low, medium, and high intensity work. Is that optimal? I have no idea but I suspect the matabolism as a whole benefits in many ways from burning calories with activity above maintenance.

(Susan) #11

I am doing full on Keto with IF that I do 18 (fasting) 6 (eating) and some days limit that to 20-4 and one day a week I do a 24 hour fast from 6pm-6pm (ususally Sunday night to Monday night). So, I think that a blend of the two together is working best for me.

(Davey B ) #12

No choice needed, keto is the way to go, and it naturally promotes an amazingly beneficial thing: Intermittent Fasting.

1+1=3… Enjoy it all, you deserve it all!

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #13

I love this!

So true!!

(charlie3) #14

The slogan occured to me months ago and had a good ring to it. I waited months to let it out of the bag because I wanted to think it through and be sure I had it right. I think it will catch on and contribute to the low carb movement and health.