Keto & then back to old habits

(Mark Heard) #1

So I’ve been ketosing from maybe 4-6 weeks - have lost 9kg’s. I’ve had a few slip-ups ie. binge on carbs a few times. But I’m trying to think through the psychology of why I do it. Case in point last night when we had friends over (family with kids) we’d had a roast with all the veggies & if stuck to that point with a plate of spinach, meat, added butter, pumpkin & broccoli. So doing well. Then later dessert is bought out - a very rich, heavily frosted chocolate cake, ice cream, chocolate, chips the works - I was holding strong than BANG I let myself go & indulged in everything. And it wasn’t in moderation. I guess what is the psychology here, why did I do it given I’ve been happy/successful last 6 weeks & lost approaching 10kg’s??? And then that old thinking, “It’s Ok, start again in the morning” but that thinking is what got me to 40kgs overweight in the first place. Aaaarrrggghhhh - eating issues!!! Any other tips? I know you may say do t have it in the house but that’s not practical when you have visitors imho.

(Naomi Brewster) #2

The eyes start tricking us. Don’t think of it as failure - just an experiment that didn’t work! Your eyes told you that it looked good and once you had the sugar (fatty sugar is the worst) then old addictions kicked in. You now know for next time. I actually saw this talk a couple of days ago which I found interest talking about how cravings work…

Back on the horse today and better choices next time. We’re coming up for a bad time of year (as you’re talking in kilos I assume you’re in Southern Hemisphere) of barbecues, family and friends get together, Christmas, new year and annual holidays - plan your strategies for these gatherings - are you going to have something special plan what it will be - I saw Megan Ramos talking about this - starting at 35:51 (-25:37)

(Bunny) #3

SELF-EXPERIMENT:

I ate a whole unopened carton of about 15 very large chocolate covered Graham cracker cookies (highest sugary thing I could find) two days ago, didn’t even put a dent (blood ketones remained stable after testing every 6 hours till today) in my Ketosis at all, in the least bit (almost completely keto adapted) and at the same time, I lost 4 more pounds while doing it!

That is incredible & astounding (to me)!

Being Native American we tend to pack the pounds on with a quickness!

Note: I have not gained any weight back nor plateaued since going keto! And on that note I have no desire to eat sugar because I keep my glucose level stabilized so I do not fall into the sugar addiction cycle!

(Madge Boldt) #4

That sure is a tough one. I have been keto for 6-7 weeks myself, so I am also new. I have found that when I am surrounded by sweet carbs, which was always my downfall, it is a bit of a battle. The battle is easier on keto, but it is still a fight against old habits and old comforts. This last week, there were leftover cupcakes in the break room at work. In that past, there never would have been leftovers because I would have already eaten them! I noticed that on those three days of looking at cupcakes every time I went in there (it’s where the bathroom and coffee and microwave are), that I was jonesing for Diet Coke and sugar free mints. So I did stop on my way home and pick up some Diet Coke and I totally enjoyed it. Healthy? No, but better than cupcakes.

I also try to think about the delicious things I will make instead when I get home. In your case, you were already home. Maybe next time you can prepare and make yourself a keto treat to eat with the group. There are many recipes for delicious treats made with sweeteners such as xylitol. I’ve been known to melt some coconut oil, add xylitol and cocoa powder, some crushed walnuts, some coconut flakes. Drop it onto wax paper. Chocolate candy! Google some keto treat recipes. I’m sure there is such a thing as keto brownies.

Also, I haven’t really seen anyone else talking about this, but Breyers makes a Carb Smart ice cream that is only 4g net carb for half cup. It is hard to only have a half cup because it is really good. But it’s possible! You could eat that with your guests.

I’m no expert, just a new keto-er like you. But when I have an urge for sweets, I don’t deny it. I just keto it. Others might be able to deny it, but I know myself. I would end up having a carb binge consisting of cookies! I hope others have better advice. For me, it’s just a long term habit that I will always fight.

(Ken) #5

You’re fine. After six or eight weeks of lipolysis, eating those carbs were, if anything, beneficial. Just don’t revert back to a true pattern of eating them often. Having carbs occasionally is fine, as long as its the exception, not the rule. Your fat loss did temporarily halt when you ate’em, but resumed after the insulin spike. No need for self flagellation about it.

You’re at the point where you could even eat some on the weekends if you really want to.

(Dan Morrison) #6

Why serve cake, no one is going to shoot you if you don’t

(Mark Heard) #7

Thanks Naomi. Really appreciate those links - I’ll watch them today.

(Mark Heard) #8

And yes I’m in Australia.

(Mark Heard) #9

You still lost 4lbs after that - that is amazing.

(Mark Heard) #10

Thanks Madge. Yes lesson learnt to be a little more prepared.

(Mark Heard) #11

No they won’t. But I live in a household of metabolically healthy, thin family. I dont want to restrict what they like to eat - I just need to be better prepared ie. have some berries & cream ready to go.

(Bunny) #12

You know what, I feel sooo gooooood to and if what I am experiencing is some kind of a self-induced psychosomatic placebo effect (who cares?), I want more lol…

…I know it’s not though!

(Doug) #13

Mark, there may be a slippery slope out there, somewhere, but we’re also humans and not robots. Certainly nothing to beat yourself up for. You’ve already made good progress, and regardless of whether you’re 100% on the straight and narrow, so to speak, you will be in a much better place than doing nothing.

For many of us, “more” as far as more keto and less carbohydrates, is best, but personally I can’t face “never eating carbs again.” Going to definitely pick my spots, though. Not saying this is an advisable approach, either - things are always being weighed in the balance.

(Mark Heard) #14

Thanks Doug. I think I’m just trying to learn from any bumps in the road. I imagine the concern for any of us who have battled weight issues (for me most of my life) & tried many diets is you go on & but eventually go off a diet. I need to see this as a long term WOE but I need to learn from the bumps & as many have said, it’s just a bump, get back on & off you go again.

(Dan Morrison) #15

Hang in there eventually you won’t crave it when you see it

(Allie) #16

There are many recipes for keto cakes like that l which you could try, or if you don’t want to do that, just excuse yourself before the cake / whatever is brought out and rejoin your family when it’s cleared away.

(Donna Numbers) #17

I also went off track and my Bing lasted a week. It took me 2 months to get back into ketosis so that experience now keeps me on track . Also even though I’ve been on this journey since March and I’ve reached my goal weight, in an instant I could be right back where I started so I keep fighting the longing for sweets during this holiday season. But I must say I get so tired of saying no over and over while everyone around me is indulging and denying themselves nothing. But being light and no longer over weight, as well as feeling great is my reward and it’s a great one.

(VLC.MD) #18

Bing is terrible, use Google :clown_face:

2 months ! wow. How low were your carbs for the two months ? 2 months is harsh.

(Karen Parrott) #19

I found it took 1-2 years for life long (6-46) binge urges and thoughts to finally go away.

I only have one or two pop up now in times of stress or when exposed to a binge food (grains, nuts, emulsifiers, most sugars).

Abstaining from binge foods in combo with behavior modification really helped me. Riding through the binge urges- those false fix signals is tough, morbid obesity and compulsive over eating was worse.

Here’s to rewiring your brain. It takes time. It took me some counseling. It may take some medication, but a good doc can help you decide.

(Donna Numbers) #20

I was very strict usually under 10 grams of carbs with IF. BUT I’m 55 post menopausal so it’s very difficult for me to get into ketosis. Also yoyoing on Adkins for years probably hurt me as well.