Keto Taco Pie/nachos

I often make a simple keto taco pie (sauté chopped onions in butter, brown 1-1.5 lbs. ground beef, add 3-4 T taco seasonings, chopped garlic, some pepper/salt, add back in the onions, pour it all into a pie pan, mix 1/2 c heavy cream, 3-5 eggs and pour over the top. cover the whole mess with 1.5 cups grated cheese and bake 25 minutes or so at 350). I serve a slice with salsa and sour cream, occasionally guac if i have it, I have been known to eat it in a low carb tortilla

lately I have been taking the leftovers and microwaving some up to warm and distribute it over a bunch of pork rinds, add some chopped sauteed jalapenos, some more cheese and pop the whole thing in the toaster oven (I have a tray and a layer of foil under neath the rinds) and broil till the cheese melts and the pork rinds just start to get a few brown edges. Man that is good stuff,

After enough carnivore days it sounds horribly complicated to me :smiley: But I guess it’s different when one is there cooking, I do have my moments, I always liked to cook even if I got lazier with all my wonderful 1-2 ingredient dishes… I do have more complicated ones if I am in the mood and fancy something different.

This recipe reminds me of my old omelets when I had fun making it in 30 mins (including running to the garden for this and that) and eating up in 2 :smiley: It was pure joy, both making and consuming it.

I was just thinking how EASY it was to cook compared to my 16 hour briskets!

(Bob M) #4

Seems like a good idea to me. Though I went looking in the local store for pork rinds…and couldn’t find them. Maybe they moved them?

Usually with the chips

(Laurie) #6

Yes, it looks like a pretty easy recipe. Basically a ground beef crustless quiche, with tasty seasonings.

Pork rinds can be elusive. One store has them, another doesn’t, then something changes. A supermarket employee told me to try a convenience store. In the Walmart where I used to shop, they weren’t with the chips; they were near the self-checkout.

Complicated by the fact that I prefer one brand.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

They are often in the Mexican section (Goya sells them), but can also be found in with the potato chips. The supermarkets in my town sell the Utz brand. My local supermarket used to have a different variety in the meat refrigerator (along with pork jowls and stuff like that), a quite different taste and denser texture. Unfortunately, they disappeared during the latter part of the lockdown and have never reappeared, alas!

I stopped shopping at the local Stop ‘n’ Shop, because the manager refused even to special-order pork rinds. (He may have been a vegetarian or vegan.) I think they carry them now, however, but I still don’t shop there.

(Bob M) #8

I was looking in Caraluzzi’s (a small chain near me), and I used to know where they were (in the chips isle), but they were gone.

@PaulL Yeah, Stop & Shop has gone downhill where we are. We never buy meat there, for instance. Either Caraluzzi’s or Big Y.

I may have to ask a manager where they are, although I did order “pork dust” from Amazon. It’s easier to buy it than make it, but you can’t use pork dust in a recipe like this. But I would prefer to buy stuff locally, except (like pork dust) when I have to shop online.

(Valinda Beasley) #9

I tried this recipe AND LOVE IT. My husband asks for it weekly. Thanks for the share!

(Valinda Beasley) #10

Would love your recipe.

as in original post