Keto = Starvation. Tissue is going to burn off

(Joey) #1

Beyond appalling.

Jeffrey Mechanick, medical director at Mount Sinai Heart’s Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Center for Clinical Cardiovascular Health wins the prize for biggest bonehead…

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2024/01/01/new-year-diets-pros-cons/72059444007/

Keto

The low-carb keto diet is one of the most popular in recent years.

On a basic level, a ketogenic or “keto” diet centers around a low intake of carbohydrates coupled with a high intake of fat and protein. Generally, people following this diet get 70% to 80% of their daily calories from fat, about 20% from protein and about 5% from carbs.

The lack of carbs forces the body into the state of ketosis, during which fat becomes the main provider of fuel for the body and theoretically is burned to be used as energy.

While keto has been linked to weight loss, professionals have warned against the diet for those looking to improve their overall health. For starters, limiting your intake of carbs so severely leads the body to break down not only fat but muscle and tissue.

The strictness of keto can also easily lead to a diet lacking in other important sources of nutrition, like whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

"I wouldn’t recommend the keto diet to anybody," Jeffrey Mechanick, medical director at Mount Sinai Heart’s Marie-Josée and Henry R. Kravis Center for Clinical Cardiovascular Health, previously told USA TODAY.

"In theory, the keto diet basically mimics starvation," Mechanick said. "If you don’t eat carbohydrates but you eat an excessive amount of fat and protein, you’re still going to waste tissue. Tissue is still going to burn off."

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Aw, shucks! It was going so well up till then. I doubt the author would disagree with Valter Longo’s idea of the protein-sparing modified fast. As Benjamin Bikman points out, fasting and ketosis are essentially the same metabolic state, the difference being that the latter involves food, whereas the former does not. (Of course, Valter Longo’s protein-sparing modified fast does allow 800 calories.)

There, all fixed!

(Geoffrey) #3

Agenda driven ignorance.

(Joey) #4

Indeed. Remarkable how many pixels were squandered on this dribble.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Well, there is this: every wasted pixel brings the heat death of the universe that much closer, and that will put an end to the argument. :smile:

Why?
It makes zero sense, the body doesn’t break down muscle without any reason… It’s not very hard to make statements but proving them is a different thing - and it’s needed, it’s bad form just to say things out of the blue, expecting people to believe it.

IDK what keto mimics but keto isn’t starvation. Starvation is not getting our nutrients. I get my nutrients on keto, thank you very much. They don’t even talk about people who feel full starving on keto as there was mention of excessive amount of fat and protein.
Anyway, most ketoers don’t eat excessive amounts of either… Maybe fat if one looks from a very low-fat viewpoint? But protein? We need protein… People not on keto allegedly eat too little protein (how they do it? I can’t bring it dow to 2k/kg for LBM if I do my absolute best!) so eating more sounds good, right? And what about all the crap impossible on it? Sure, it’s easy to eat a very unhealthy keto too but it’s harder than when one just eats whenever especially without some good instincts and taste (I always loved my good fatty protein sources… the carbs didn’t help but at least they couldn’t take away the good stuff as only the latter could satiate and satisfy me).

Oh well. It never will end. People will say such things.

(Why people call eating a lot of nutritious food starvation? I dislike this tendency. OMAD isn’t starvation either. It can be as keto could be if we just barely eat… But normally, it isn’t.)

(KM) #7

I’ll just add, what a Weird (ignorant) picture to use to turn people toward the pov that keto is bad. Other than maybe the orange (and what is the thing with the fork in it?) everything in that glorious bounty can be part of a keto diet in moderation.