Keto spanish tapas: tortilla espanola

(Rachel Taylor) #1

I tried to see if I could make the king of Spanish tapas, Tortilla Espanola, with keto rules. If you haven’t seen one of those made before, This video shows the steps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvlkYYdIBV0).

Tortilla Espanola, keto-style
1/2 cup (118 mL) olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
one medium onion, sliced very thin (mine was about 140 grams)
approx 1 lb (450 grams) of cauliflower florets that have been sliced about 1/4" thick (about 6 mm)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
7 eggs
1/4 cup (60 mL) heavy whipping cream

Put the oil in the pan and heat it on low heat and throw the garlic slices in it. Turn off the heat and ignore the pan for a while so that the garlic can flavor the oil. After a half hour or so, fish out the garlic and saute the onions in that oil on medium low heat until the onions caramelize slightly. This helps to give the tortilla some of its characteristic flavor. Remove the caramelized onions from the oil and reserve. (Normally, if you were making this dish with potatoes, you would throw in the potatoes in the oil. Since cauliflower is more fragile, I opted for the microwave in order to keep the tiles of cauliflower from breaking into small bits.) Rinse the cauliflower so it is slightly wet and microwave for 3 minutes. Test it and microwave for additional minutes if needed. Whisk the eggs, salt, and cream together and then add in the onions and cauliflower tiles. Heat the oil to high, pour in the egg mixture and spread it so that the top is even. Using a spatula, pull the edges of the tortilla towards the center so that any liquid egg can run out the sides. After a couple of minutes when the edges are starting to brown and the tortilla is starting to set up, put a plate on top of the skillet and flip it over so that the raw side is touching the plate (see video above if you want to watch this). Then, slide it back into the pan so the raw side is on the bottom and will cook. Once it has fully solidified, slide it out of the pan on to a plate and cut into 6 wedges (like a pie). You could also serve it tapas-style by cutting it into little squares.

Nutrition:
As written, the recipe has 309 calories, 28 grams of fat, 7 grams of carbs, two grams of fiber (so 5 net carbs) and 9 grams of protein per serving (based on 6 servings).