KETO rash

(Marshelle) #1

So, I posted in the fb page that I had keto rash which started the first week after beginning this WOE (way of eating).
Someone suggested Tea Tree Soap from Trader Joe’s and it worked!!! In one day of bathing with the soap (bath gel; 16oz and approx $3.35) the bumps dried up and the itching which was minimal was resolved.

Keto Rash Scalp
Three months in, New Here, The Good and The Puzzling
Keto rash on head
(Richard Morris) #2

Tee Tree is awesome for fungal infections.

You know, it’s Australian. The Melaleuca tree. I had one in my front yard down the coast.

I love tea tree. I always have a bottle of essential oil in the house. Great for me and the dogs, cleaning, all sorts.

I read years ago that Australian hospitals use tea tree to clean and have shown that it is more effective than your typical man-made disinfectants. Is that true @richard ?

(bren.mannin) #4

Thank you for posting that! Going to get me some of that. We are a tea tree believing household!!! :heart:

(Richard Morris) #5

I don’t know about that. I don’t think it’s specifically antibacterial, so they probably use it in with a bleach.

Just found these links. Also… oregano oil is pretty amazing. I treat my dog with it now for her ear mites when she gets them - way more effective than the meds from the vet.

http://roberttisserand.com/2011/08/question-answer-tea-tree-oil-hospital-bacteria/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/

(De Anna) #7

I’ve read somewhere that about 13% of people who eat LCHF get Keto Rash, and most people get it on their torsos. I’ve had 3 bouts of Keto Rash, that I never experienced before this WOE. Mine has only ever appeared on my face, and one spot on my arm. It starts in the same spot, and spreads across my skin in the same pattern each time. Its red with tiny bumps, feels hot, and very itchy. I’ve heard you could take an antibiotic for I’m saving those as a last resort.

I’ve treated mine very effectively with multiple 10-minute sittings per day under an infrared light. A friend suggested it and I thought he was wacky, but Keto Rash is miserable and I was desperate. And after the first 10-minute session, the rash has stopped spreading and within 2 days it was completely gone. I bought my Infrared light bulb on Amazon for about $10 USD and put it in one of those cheapy clip-on lamps so I can set it up anywhere. Here’s some really unflattering pictures of my face in full reaction before I started using the infrared light. I will add tea tree oil to my regime next time. Thanks for the suggestion.

(Lisa) #8

I’ve had two bouts of the keto rash. The marks of the first round haven’t gone away yet, but I have a second round, although it is less intense this time.It’s very typical for me - symmetric, on front, back, and neck.

I saw the recommendation to use the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Soap, which I did, but since the rash came back, I have to say it didn’t really work for me.

Some of the external links suggested the only sure cure is to increase your carb intake, which I’ve done a little bit, but as I said, the rash is back.

Have other folks successfully tried other treatments?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

You lucky dog! What did it smell like?

Man, that rash thing looks like it sucks, big time. Do they know what causes it? Is it like a detox thing?

(De Anna) #10

Im at the tail end of this third rash as its started to go away from the infrared light bulb treatments. Today i switched to a high quality tea tree oil mixed in with Aloe Vera as a carrier. I havent seen any improvement today. Im going back to the infrared light treatment.

BTW, someone told me you can buy infrared bulbs at Home Depot.

(Marshelle) #11

It returned in my case also but less severe and the soap dried it up again. I was too afraid to increase the carbs so I stayed the course.

(Mike Glasbrener) #12

I also had/have Leto rash. It’s been about 6 weeks for me. It started in the small of my back and was really annoying. It progressed around the side of my abdomin and continued to the inside of my thighs where it is currently. It’s not nearly as itchy as it was in the beginning… it never reinfected cleared up areas. It’s kind of like a ring worm infection I got as a kid. So the proposition that is may be fungal makes sense. Thus I’ll try the tea tree soap and see if it helps. It’s no where near as bad as when it started.

(Marshelle) #13

I hope it works for you. I have fallen in love with the soap and just replenished my supply. I use it on the days that I am super sweaty.

(David Karlsson) #14

I got a rash on my chest/back about a week into ketosis which got worse over the following week. I got recommended hydrocortisone salve which has significantly reduced the rash over the following 5 days using it (on day 6 when typing this). Should mention I also used active coconut charcoal and chlorella supplements during the same time so I cannot be sure if the salve is the only thing that helped. I did not change anything else in the diet (like adding extra carbs)

I do not know if hydrocortisone is safe to use for everyone (not very educated on subject) so I would recommend looking that up first.

If this is just a outwards cure I cannot be sure of but once it fully gone I will stop using the salve and see if the rash reappear and get back here for the results!

When I read about the keto rash, there seemed to be very varying results for different medications, but I hope this can help someone out there.

(Mike Glasbrener) #15

I’ve had Keto rash for months now. It progressed from the small of my back around to my abdomin and upper thighs. I also have been dealing with a knee/quad injury. Anyhow, I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee a week ago and noticed a few days ago my Keto rash is almost gone! They gave me IV antibiotics during the surgery which I suspect is the cause of my Keto rash going away. I’ll find out what IV antibiotics I was given and share here. Of course my n=1 sample size is by no means statistical nor is it easy to ascertain cause affect. It’s just one more data point.

(David Karlsson) #16

Hi, I wrote a while ago about getting my rash away. Not too long after I wrote, the improvements from hydrocortisol was not longer working and the rash came back (this time with itching).

Not too long after, I came across the book Deep nutrition (very inspiring book) and I started adding more healthy vegetables to the food and lowering protein and at that point the rashes slowly started to fade and today (2 weeks later) they are barely visible. I had great readings on ketostix the whole time (I know these can be inaccurate)

If the carbs in the vegetables was the thing helping the rash go away or if I had other deficiencies from basicly only fat/protein without any nutrients I don’t know. What I do know, is that the dishes now are alot more delicious!
(Steamed broccoli with salt and melted butter is heaven :slight_smile: )

I should add that I’m 25 years old with what I consider a healthy metabolism so getting into ketotis has never been an issue for me so I know that this most likely will be different from how it will affect you.

I know how annoying the rashes can be and I sincerely hope you find something that works for you

I have had a “rash” in skin folds which I seem to get when eating SAD so it is not new. I do not get it when eating moderate carbs without any wheat or other white flours (I do eat beans without a problem).

Have been doing Keto since April and started getting the regular rash in the usual skinfolds. A product I got at CVS seems to help called Yeast Gard (made for female specific rash but I do not use if for that although I am female) plus anti fungal foot powder.

I will try the tea tree soap. One caution, preteenage boys should not use tea tree oil or should use it with caution

(Kitty) #18

I have Keto Rash and was going to try tea tree oil on it. Do you know how diluted I need to make it? I’ve heard not to use the pure oil but to dilute it. Do you have any idea on dilution ratios?

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #19

I love tea tree oil soap! I use Dr. Bronners. I think as long as it has the actual oil in it you are good.

(Stephanie Boland) #20

Good morning :slight_smile: My rash tends to move around to the same places, my eyes nose ears, top of my right hand, same spots on my legs and back of my neck. My Dr prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP0.1% I believe it is a steroid cream, but it takes the itch away immediately and clears it up within 2 days. Just takes a tiny bit.