Keto or low carb which is good for me?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

I checked the label on the cream carton in my fridge before posting, and it said 0. Could be variations from brand to brand, or the serving size on the label I checked must have been ridiculously small—which is much more likely, come to think of it. I envy people in civilised countries, where they put amounts per 100 g on their labels.

(Allie) #22

Like here? :joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

Precisely. And a U.S. tablespoon (15 mL) of my brand of heavy cream has little enough sugar that they can legally say 0 g. Be glad you live in a civilised country.

(Allie) #24

15ml teaspoon? :flushed:
They’re 5ml here… :thinking:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Fixed. Thanks.

(Colacat ) #26

We always have a choice. If your choice is to stray from your normal way of eating, then so be it. Myself, I find that it’s usually possible to stick to keto options, or simply to fast if there are none
In many cases, when there were only non-keto food available, friends would push me to eat some , I would limit myself to eat 1 slice of pizza, will have some wine/beer together, normally just one meal. I would go back to my normal diet

It all comes down to what else are you eating in the day. You noted vegetables, but which ones specifically and in what quantities. This will determine if you can “fit” in the milk and still remain low carb or keto even.
The vegetables I eat normally are just leafy green, celery, cucumber, onion, radishes, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, cabbage, ect ,some carrot , not much in starchy veggies. For protein, I eat eggs, bacon, cheeses, all kind of meat (fatty pork, steaks , chicken … ect). Before workout, I will have a cup of protein drink with MCT oil, I just recently start using MCT oil, because I find myself losing weight . I used to be 110lb, in 6 month low carb, I’ve lost 5-6 lbs. I just hopping to get back to 110lb.

Just some milk in a latte isn’t going to matter, way more about your diet got your A1C up than that.
I wish I can get into ketosis to help lowering down my blood sugar level , but hopping to keep the glass of milk without being kick out of ketosis . My understanding is some people can have certain amount of carb, it could be more than 20g. How do you know what your limit is without doing ketone blood test ?

(Colacat ) #27

I just checked the cream I am using is also 0 in carbohydrates per serving 15ml . I will try to dilute 10 times water in it to make it 3.5% of whole milk , see if I can steam it and get the same texture for my latte :joy:

I moved from a very beloved morning latte to a single-shot espresso with heavy cream. It’s not a big volume of a drink but I couldn’t care less as it’s absolutely delicious. Personally I don’t so love the foamy top of a latte that I miss it: most of it would end up sitting at the bottom of the mug only to get rinsed out into the sink, or I’d have to scoop it out with my finger. That being said, I could always steam the cream if it struck me as worth the hassle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

It’s more important to check, if you can, the amount per 100 mL.

I just went on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s food composition database, and the brand in my refrigerator, which shows 0 g of carbohydrate per 15 mL serving, also shows 0 g per 100 mL, as do a number of other brands of heavy cream, which I checked at random.`

I did find one entry for generic heavy cream that shows 2.92 g of lactose per 100 g, but no other sugar or carbohydrate.

I conclude that that carb content of heavy cream is negligible, though people should still check out the brand they use, just to be sure.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #30

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

Everything in life is probability - except death (but even for death, the potential causes are subject to probability). To your OP question: the probability of a healthy and long life increases in direct proportion to how many carbs you don’t consume during your life. The older you get, the stronger this probability becomes. My guess is that reducing PUFAs also helps. So, you have choices. But no guarantees other than cutting carbs increases your odds more than anything else. Best wishes.

(Allie) #32

I used to mix cream with water to take into work and use as milk in my coffee there, back when I still had dairy, and coffee… :rofl:

It works well.

(BuckRimfire) #33

Did it work? I would expect the foaming of milk to be largely dependent on the protein in it, so my guess would be that diluted cream wouldn’t behave the same as milk.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

I always thought milk foamed for the same reason cream whips, i.e., because air gets trapped among the fat molecules. Is it possible to foam skim milk? If so, then it’s obviously not because of its fat content, lol!

But you’re definitely right about the texture issue. If whipped cream worked, there’d be no reason to consider diluting it as a workaround.

(BuckRimfire) #35

Protein solutions form bubbles very well. When I do protein purifications, I can tell which fractions have the protein in them by simply bubbling a little air through the solution with a Pasteur pipet. The more protein, the more persistent the bubbles. If it’s less than 0.05 mg/mL protein, the bubbles pop quickly, but a good fraction with 0.5 mg/mL protein or more will form bubbles that stay in the open-topped tube for hours.

Proteins also don’t “like” the air-water interface. Foaming a solution of enzyme is bad for it. I don’t understand the physics well, but the “water activity” at the air-water interface is higher and can denature the protein.

I think the effect is similar to why proteins usually “like” to be in a moderately salty solution. The salt ions attract the water molecules and calm them down, keeping them from hammering on the protein as much. Water is actually kinda dangerous stuff at the molecular level!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Wow! I love these forums because I’m always learning something from you folks! :+1: :bacon::bacon::bacon:

This, I am sure, has some relevance for cardiovascular disease. Will have to remember this point.

Hence the salt level of the blood, perhaps?

(BuckRimfire) #37

But I’m not actually sure if milk steams and cream whips by a similar mechanism, or not…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

I have no idea, either. But the cookbooks all refer to the action of whipping cream as incorporating air into bubbles surrounded by fat molecules. Might that be the same for proteins, as well, do you think?

alot of good info on this thread but IF you did what you said you did, did ya get any results?

your little milk in your coffee doesn’t mean anything truly. It is your daily food intake. Simple as that.

You are focused on this milk and this is not the focus truly.

oh but are you sure in that every veg, every single thing that goes into your body has carbs to some level so are ya tracking at all? Do you actually know your daily carb intake? 6 mos is a long time to know where you might be on carb intake.

alot of info left out on your journey to say do this or that :slight_smile: read up on general low carb and read up on what a ‘Keto Plan’ diet is all about. More info you got going in means alot more power you got.

you aren’t really on a true lifestyle change just yet…but with more time you can cement in commitment and longer term stability to change your AC and blood sugar to stable but from the posts, I don’t think you are
‘there just yet’ on what you feel you should do…but whatever you do has to be every day, longer term, stability and constant and commitment to hold any change to blood sugar we get and that is just a choice on your way forward.

wishing you the best way forward and read tons more on what a true ‘low carb menu’ entails and what a true Ketogenic menu is all about. Forward motion and knowledge learned to change is all we can do :slight_smile:

(BuckRimfire) #40

Just a little full-frontal nerdiry

I don’t know about that. If you have ANY bubbles in your body, other than intestinal gas, which is not really “in” your body in a topological sense, you’re in big trouble!

That’s the situation in SCUBA problems, both decompression sickness aka “the bends” and full-on air embolisms (which are two separate phenomena but both bad!)

Well, among other things. Salts in and out of your cells have a whole host of roles in your physiology.

Your proteins certainly require salt around to be “happy,” but not to the level of precision of other processes. The protein I work on most is happy from 100 mM KCl, maybe as low as 75 mM KCl, up to at least 300 mM KCl.

In contrast, if the concentration of any of the salts in your body changed by two-fold, I’m pretty sure you’d be dead or well on your way there.