Keto not working for me

(Kathy Meyer) #161

When I’m working I fast from Monday night to Friday morning. I do this about 3 times a month. I spend the weekends cooking for my husband so he has keto treats and dinner during the time I’m fasting. It’s working for now.

(Richard Morris) #162

Wow Kathy well done finding out what works for you :slight_smile:

I’ve gone through a similar calculus and come up with the same result.

(Richard Morris) #163

With all due respect to @ted.naiman he probably couldn’t do a 3 day fast without supplementing. He doesn’t appear to have the necessary body fat reserves. As soon as his circulating lipids were exhausted his body fat would not be able to completely fuel his daily energy requirements, his metabolic rate would plummet and his body would go looking for substrates … and it’d be into the protein :slight_smile:

For anyone with less than about 50 lbs of body fat (ie: 1575 kCal/day), if you want to fast longer than 18-24 hours to reach maximum autophagy you would need to supplement with fat.

(Jacquelyn Graham) #164

I’ve had difficulty sleeping always, even when I was a kiddo I’d stay up for days reading because I couldn’t get to sleep. Since I cut out cow dairy (found out I was allergic to all things cow, who knew?) and have been Keto though, I find I can get to sleep and stay asleep for the first time ever. I’m more rested when I wake, as well. I know some of it was the inflammation (snored like a stevedore before all this, apparently, and that’s gone, too) but it might be something to do with no longer having fluctuating glucose levels. I also no longer need coffee in the mornings to be coherent; something my family is amazed by as I was accustomed to drinking quite large amounts before keto. Keep on tweaking until you find what works for you. It is worth it, definitely.

(joievawter) #166

Good points. However, I am one of those people that do find it easy and enjoyable to maintain nutritional ketosis.

(joievawter) #167

Fantastic work, your results are fabulous!

(joievawter) #168

@richard I am so thankful you taught me this. It has been a key to my success for sure. I now share this with all my fasting pals.

(Loraine Hansen) #169

I appreciate this advice. I’ve been what I THINK is strict Keto for almost 4 weeks. I know things are changing in my body but it’s discouraging when I’m still not losing weight, inches, experiencing energy, or motivation. The benefits I’m seeing are not feeling hungry, feeling satiated, loving the food I eat, not eating very often, but feeling good. Hope that I will reap the rewards I’m looking for. I’m still waiting for Unlimited Energy, strength, stamina, pain free, enthusiasm, reducing meds.

I’m going to start counting carbs religiously tomorrow and see what I’m really eating. I stopped crazy exercising for a bit until I “feel” like it. But it seems to be taking longer than I like.

I’ll keep doing this as I’m used to eating primal and it’s not a challenge for me at all. I’m not tempted by the carbs that I suppose a lot of people are reporting “cheating” with. I’m just anxious to see results. For myself as well as to show others that this WOE is working. And the best way to live. I’m reading through some of the threads to help me. I hope I will see some major results soon.

I come from four years of living the primal blueprint. I have about 20 more lbs to lose. (I’ve lost 40 in the past 8 months, not on Keto). I’ve lowered a bunch of meds and hormones during that time too. But I know I can improve even more. Just waiting …

(Jo Lo) #170

Richard, that’s probably true, but he doesn’t recommend that his clients go over 24 hrs either. He is concerned about lean mass loss and lack of nutrients, as I understand from his tweets.

(Loraine Hansen) #171

FYI: re Wahls protocol/Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). I was diagnosed with lupus about 10 years ago. I had a very hard time of it for several years. I finally opted to take Plaquenil and it has made all the difference in my life. I don’t know which AI’s you have, but I will tell you my experience with Wahl’s/AIP. I tried it for over three months at the end of 2016. I was very strict (as I am with anything I do), and spent a lot of money on their types of “foods”. I joined an AIP support Facebook group and participated every day to get support. During my weeks on AIP, not only was I ALWAYS hungry, but I HATED my meals. They were awful.

When I requested information from anyone with lupus on the Facebook group, to see if AIP was working for them, I either got ZERO answers/responses, OR the few that had lupus, always said they were on Plaqueil and never thought they would get off it. Since this was one of the main reasons I was trying AIP, after a while I got so disgusted, that I finally realized that AIP would never work for me. Particularly long term. It seemed like AIP worked well for people who had RA, Hashimotos, and others I can’t think of right now, but they had nothing to do with Lupus.

Soon after, I found the Keto podcasts and was so excited that I started immediately. That was January 14, 2017. I haven’t seen many changes yet, (in weight, inches, energy, strength, stamina, endurance), but I’m hoping. And since I LOVE the food and EVERY meal, and since I’m not hungry EVER, and since I see/read so many amazing successes, I will continue eating this way until: A) changes occur (and then, of COURSE, I will STILL eat this way), B) I die (then I’ll be eating manna in heaven which, I’m sure, is perfect food), or C) we have a zombie apocalypse and there’s nothing to eat, EXCEPT grains, and, well . . . zombies).

Good luck. KCKO!!

I have Hashimoto’s and microscopic colitis, both considered autoimmune…my daughter has celiac, so this kind of stuff runs in our family. i have not lost any weight on Keto, and have actually gained about 5 lbs back since I stopped extended fasting. But I also have chronic insomnia, have a high stress life right now, and seasonal depression, so I think those factors weigh heavily on cortisol/insulin. So I am all for kcko…im practicing patience :slight_smile:

(Loraine Hansen) #173

I’ve been reading a lot on this forum. And I’m hoping to get some encouragement. A lot of the posts are very specific to one person’s problems, which don’t help me. Especially when people throw out so MANY numbers, specific tests and such. I love the “science”, but not to that degree of specificity. I like things simpler.

I don’t really want to do a lot of testing, (any testing). I’m not interested in buying testers, machines, or the like. I’m more the type of person who likes to see and feel results for myself. In how I look, feel, energy levels, endurance, strength. I don’t even really care what the scales say. Never really have. That being said, I’m still waiting to see/feel any of those things in any kind of way.

I’m still really tired all day, no motivation, no increased strength or endurance. Not to mention no lost weight or inches. I started Keto on January 14, 2017. I’ve been eating Primal since January 2013. There is so MUCH advice on what to do to kick start everything. But I’m not sure that I should be doing anything differently yet, being only three weeks in. It’s just so hard to wait . . . and HOPE that I’m doing everything right. Any advice or encouragement?

@richard says he knows of a woman who gained for 6 months before she started to finally lose. That’s the only thing that’s keeping me going right now. I wish I had wisdom but I’m only 3.5 months into this myself. Before Keto I lost about a lb a month. I really think the insomnia is my biggest speed bump, so thats what I’m reading up on right now. And I’m trying to lessen my stressors, but they’re family that live with me, so I can’t control that yet. So that’s why I KCKO :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m where you are as far as not wanting to do all the ketone testing. I too am following all the proper macros…I tried eating more, that didn’t work, I tried less protein, that didn’t work. Women have a harder time losing weight it seems…you’ll see it throughout the forum. @richard and @carl are great resources

(Loraine Hansen) #176

Thanks for responding. I’m hoping that maybe someone with more experience will respond too. But I do appreciate your support. I suppose i need to be more patient. I’m only in for three weeks so far. They’ll probably tell me the same things you did anyway. Lol.

What I’ve learned from this wonderful group is that we’re all different…individual snowflakes if you want to call us that…and that what works for one of us doesn’t work for all…and that through trial and error we find our sweet spot. Then we share it with everyone just in case someone can learn from our journey. I’m still searching for my sweet spot. :blush:

(Loraine Hansen) #178

Me too … thanks.

(Loraine Hansen) #179

A friend of mine referred me to this website for help with getting to sleep and staying asleep. I’m trying the combo he suggests and have found it to help me get more quality sleep. Here it is: https://www.grc.com/health/sleep/healthy_sleep_formula.htm

Hope you can figure it out. Being tired is the worst.

Thanks, I’ll check it out :blush:

(Kel Ta) #181

Posted this in Keto for Women…
A few things I’ve observed with women and keto

1. dairy and nuts can create impediments to weight loss- drop these to move through a stall
  2. a shorter eating window will facilitate fat burning (e.g. extend time in morning before eat first meal)
  3. eat the bulk of carbs (e.g. veggies etc.) in the last meal of the day
  4. eat when hungry only- assess whether snacking is hunger or boredom related
  5. eat fatty meats not excessive fat
  6. assess weight with some skepticism 1 week prior menstrual cycle