Keto not working for me

Personal trainer here: Exercise can help, especially if you are not very active. But you can’t out exercise a bad diet. Diet is primary.

Focus on strength training to build muscle, that’s how you increase your metabolism.

You have two options for cardio: low intensity steady state (extended time walking, cycling, elliptical machine. Aim for heart rate 50-75% of heart rate max) or high intensity interval training (short bouts of high heart rate alternated with shorter bouts of recovery, look at Tabata). If you want to do cardio, do HIIT AFTER strength training or LISS on alternate days. If you’re feeling fatigued, listen to your body. Dog walking is a good form of LISS which is good for stress relief and lowering cortisol levels.

Heart rate max: 220-your age.

Tabata: 20 seconds of working as hard as absolutely possible alternating with 10 seconds of recovery for 8 rounds, do as many sets of 8 rounds as your fitness level allows, start with one set and work up. Rest 1 min between sets.
Exercises to do Tabata: kettle bell swings (look at you tube for videos by Pave Tsatsouline for instruction on proper form); medicine ball slams; mountain climbers (modify for your fitness level); battle ropes (you tube videos for instruction); high knees, jump rope, side steps, anything that gets your heart rate up quickly.

Good luck!

(Leslie) #183

Boom. Money shot.

Week 8 here so I preface: my infinite Keto wisdom is, well, finite.

However I noticed, I had a weight loss woosh at first, followed by a long multi week plateau followed by a slight weight dip, followed by plateau.

However I started noticing body composition changes: clothes fit better, I don’t get winded going up multiple flights of stairs, noticing more jutted contours and muscle definition… so I’ve arrived at the conclusion my bod is catching up with itself, it knows what it’s doing, so I’ll trust the process and KCKO. I’m doing what you guys told me: track macs, don’t overdo the workouts, eat! (When hungry) and fast! (When not).

Simple. Not easy…but simple.

(Kathy L) #184

You must be my neighbor!!:wink:

(Guardian of the bacon) #185

I doubt it Kathy…We don’t have any…:smiling_imp:

(Kathy L) #186

@jfricke
LOL-just kidding- & feeling sorry for myself. Was good to see someone in " sort of" the same boat… We’re 25 minutes away from everything including Walmart-no large grocery stores nearby either. I have so much difficulty finding brands & food items mentioned in this forum.

(eat more) #187

amazon :blush:
i have too many stores (that don’t have what i’m looking for) so i get a lot of stuff on amazon

(Kathy L) #188

That is my “go to” supplier for a lot of things too! Much less work than traipsing thru stores, looking for specific items. :slight_smile:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #189

This is tough for an athlete whose instinct is “Just one more mile oughta crack it.”

(Candace) #190

I keep hitting my ‘like limit’ too :frowning:

(Kathy L) #191

There really IS a like limit? Thought you all were talking BS!!

(Candace) #192

LOL nope - there is a limit, and I hit it all of the time

(Kathy L) #193

Ok then …a new challenge-gotta try & hit the limit ( to see what happens)! LOL!

EDIT: reached the limit !!! You speak the truth!!

The raising the calories, lowering the protein, not weighing myself and cutting down on dairy caused me to gain 5 lbs. Backfire!!!
So I’m back to eating around 1200 calories, kept the heavy cream, but I started eating between 9am and 2pm, with nothing but coffee after that, and I’m down 2 lbs. and I’m walking at least an hour a day…so even though CICO isn’t legit, the early dinner and extra walking are what I think is helping to get me going back down in weight…OR
the planets are aligned just right :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Deb) #195

Sounds like finding a new PCP is a great idea. I don’t know where you are from, but if you don’t know about it already you could check out this site…

None here in western mass…still looking :blush:

(Kathy Meyer) #197

Extended fasting of over 48 hours may be the only thing that gets a post-menopausal woman to lose weight – often we have dieted our entire lives and the insulin resistance is so stubborn that tis is all we have left to us. It’s actually not overrated – it’s a life-extender.

(Kathryn) #198

Fiorella,
I have noticed with my hashi’s and food testing that eggs are an issue along with gluten and dairy. I have to limit eggs and really only eat them in a baked Keto option (mug cake etc)
I am wondering about insulin resistance with this. I have been Keto and lost about 5 lbs but have about 10 more to go. Have others found this journey esp trying? I loose 5 and gain back three. :neutral_face:
I know when I eat an item I am intolerant to because I will jump 2 pounds overnight.
Anyone have those issues?
Doing Keto since August and feeling better just like to loose the last ten.
Kathryn

(Kathy L) #199

Hmm maybe this is my problem… currently waiting for food sensitivities test results to come in.

(Tom) #200

I can understand not wanting to do testing and just go by feel, but the human mind has a wonderful knack for blind spots. I’m not saying that to push for testing devices, I’m saying that to advocate for tracking metrics. In my own experience, I don’t own a glucometer or or ketometer, but I’ve still managed to drop some 70 lbs, sail through hell weeks of exams without going off the rails, kill cravings, and just generally not go back to old ways. I credit a lot of this to keeping track of my weight and measurements (I personally do Waist, abdomen, and neck), and taking progress pics. It takes me about 10 minutes a week to do all that, and it’s a wonderful motivator when times get hard. You can track literally anything you like including energy levels, acne, or even bowel movements, if that’s your bag, but if we don’t track it, we won’t be able to identify problems and tweak things to get rolling again.
The crappy part is starting, because we may not want to face the number on the tape or the scale. I sure didn’t, but I’m glad I did!

PS, when just starting, I think it’s a great thing to log and to weigh and measure your foods. It’s seriously amazing how far off our eyeballed estimates are from the real deal, and of there are errors, that may be the difference between maintaining and losing.

(Kathryn) #201

I think I may need to measure. Sure is fun to eat and I know some of my veggies have carbs. So thank you for that reminder. Going back to basics is helpful.