Keto not working for me

I’ve been doing a keto diet for about two months. My macros are 5 % carbs, 25 % protein, and 70 % fat… which I stay within quite nicely. I eat 18/6 most days, but do 3 24 hour fasts weekly. The only time I lose weight is doing an extended fast of 7 days (I’ve done 3 extended fasts before I went Keto. But I have lost no weight since going Keto…in fact I have more belly fat than I had before. The only exercise I am doing is dog walking about 30 minutes a day.

So I need to tweak something. I’m going to start Nautilus 3x weekly and keep the dog walking (they insist!). Has anyone had this problem and had any successful tweaks?

(suzanna) #2

My macros look the same and I’m not losing either. I’m not fasting and was planning to try so very interested in your post. I’m sure you’ll get some great advice from folks on the forum. I’ll be listening too!

(Jodi) #3

Have your measurements changed? My scale stays within the same 5lbs for mos, but my measurements have decreased.

How many grams is 5% carbs?

Have you tested for ketones yet?

What is your % of body fat.

Are you male or female? The latter seems to start more slowly. Although, as a male I wish I had some of the results I’ve seen other guys talk about around these parts.

Sorry you’re experiencing this also. I read cut protein, add protein, cut fat, cut dairy. I’m just plain confused and disheartened right now :upside_down_face:

I feel your pain. Some people like to over analyze and also generalize.

My advice is keep it simple, eat REAL food (not packaged stuff) that has ingredients you can read, avoid artificial sweeteners, and keep the carbs under 20g. Also, be patient. We are all different.

(suzanna) #7

I understand. It’s frustrating. I think I’m seeing positive changes and I’m not hungry and therefore more patient. I’m always under 20g of carbs. I do eat dairy and am willing to give that up along with alcohol to see if that moves the scale. It’s all belly fat I’m trying to shift and fasting is supposed to help with that. My ketone strips show positive everyday usually moderate amount.

I’m a 60 year old female. 5’1", 155 lbs. I stay under 20 net carbs, under 93g
Of fat and 75g of protein. I have never tested for ketones…but I still long for all the benefits. I am mostly wanting to reverse insulin resistance and t2d (I’m not on any meds), but really really really was hoping for weight loss. Before going lchf I used to lose a pound a month…I’m not even getting that anymore

No change in measurements or clothing size

(G. Andrew Duthie) #10

Exercise is good, but you should not exercise in the hope that it will help you lose weight. It won’t. It is just a matter of numbers. Most people simply cannot add enough activity to move the needle in terms of energy expenditure. Exercise will help you be healthier, though I would recommend barbell exercises or body weight exercises over Nautilus, for the simple reason that machines do not engage stabilizing muscles.

Have you been to a doctor who understands keto? Might be worth finding one, and having some blood tests done to see if anything hormonal is out of whack.

Do you test ketones (as Pilotbob asked) and/or glucose levels?

I’m just going to keep on keto-ing on and see if anything changes. I eat no processed food (except for the occasional dark chocolate :slight_smile: )

(G. Andrew Duthie) #12

At that height/weight, I’m thinking that 75g of protein may be too much.

EDIT: A rough estimate using an online calculator suggests your lean body mass is in the area of 45kg. General recommendation is 1 to 1.5g of protein per kg of lean body mass, which would be 45-67.5g.

Doesn’t mean that protein is the problem for certain, but it might be worth dialing that back to the low end (maybe around 50g) and see if that helps.

I would still consider testing glucose and ketones, as both are relatively cheap to test, and can provide you with some data to help you understand what’s going on in your body.

(Genevieve Biggs) #13

Some people gain/stall for up to six months before losing anything. @tdseest is one example. Your body needs time to heal. I’m sure you get tired of being told to take it slow, but it is true. The damage took years to accumulate. The healing is not instant or quick.

I can do free weights or machines…I’ll have to check that out. My doctor told me to face using insulin in the future, even though I’ve gone from 7.2 to 6.7 a1c. So I’m on the hunt for a new PCP, too.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #15

Was this drop as a result of keto? Or something else? That a1c is definitely moving in the right direction.

Finding a new provider sounds like a good idea.

I’ve been using the macros on MFP, so they could be way out of whack. Most days I don’t come close to the protein though…
My estimated amount for the food U planned today us 50.7gms. But maybe I’ll try staying lower every day and see if that helps. Thanks

(Karen Parrott) #17

Good luck in your experimenting. I had un explained weight gain after losing 70 lbs ( also 5’1") after keeping those pounds off for three years

Turns out I needed to lower my fat slightly, stay in ketosis and watch my total intake of food. I also added in intermittent fasting and a time restricted eating window to 17 hours not eating and seven hours open window eating

Doing all those things together was the key and I was able to drop the extra 5-8 pounds that I had gained unintentionally in late 2015 and half of 2016

Keep going and hang in there. Everyone’s genetics is a little different I’ve been in menopause for three solid years now and I’m 50 years old . These things all factor into my continued weight maintenance.

A1c dropped just going low carb.

(Guardian of the bacon) #19

It sounds like at least your A1C is moving in the right direction. Sometimes it just takes time for the body to heal enough that it fells “safe” in letting go of the excess. If you are T2D and insulin resistant I think reducing your protein a bit may be beneficial. Narrowing your feeding window down to 4-6 hrs / day may be beneficial as well. If your insulin levels remain in an elevated state foe too much of the day they will lock your fat cells from releasing energy.

(Guardian of the bacon) #20

Keep in mind that if you start a weight lifting routine while on keto that it will not be unusual for your weight to maintain or even go up. Muscle tissue is much denser than fat tissue. So while your fat tissue may be shrinking your muscle tissue will likely be growing, preventing the scales from making much of a move.

The scales really are poor indicators of progress. Measurements with a tape measure and or calipers is much better indicator of fat loss.