Keto not working for me

Thanks

(Jo Lo) #142

Jelly!!!

ha ha, please explain?

(Jo Lo) #143

Yeah, I did really well for a while, then starting pushing too much fat in the diet. Fat bombs, a ton of olive oil on my salads, lots of cream and MCT oil in coffee, you get the picture. Fat like there was no tomorrow, about 20% protein, and scant carbs.

Then my DXA scan showed that I gained a few pounds of fat during this period when I was keto most of the time. So dietary fat can flow right to our fat cells rather than going to ketones. Keep that in mind, folks.

(I like to post memes!) #144

Jealous that @ted.naiman is your doc! Lucky you!

(Meri) #145

Iā€™m on a stress management blend of adaptogenics containing these two and they helped immensely! I do have to be careful when I take them though- any later than 2 in the afternoon and itā€™s too much. I do first thing in the morning and then after lunch- works great!

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been doingā€¦by 8a and 1p. Havenā€™t noticed any changes yet but usually these things take awhile. Its good to know they help. Thanks :grimacing:

(Meri) #147

I didnā€™t realize how much they helped until I ran out for a couple days! My husband noticed a huge difference in my mood and ability( or lack thereof) to bounce out of bed :joy:.

(PJ) #148

Hi Martha, I am doing the 16/8 as well and staying well under 20 carbs a day. I do feel better doing this.

(Kathy Meyer) #149

I donā€™t lose weight in ketosis, and can even gain weight. If you are insulin resistant, the goal is to lower insulin in order to give your body access to fat storage ā€“ insulin is the regulator of that. For many people, ketosis is enough to lower insulin, but for some of us with constantly higher basal insulin levels, it is not. And lowering calories wonā€™t lower insulin either ā€“ just your resting metabolic rate, which is counterproductive.

This is why I remained morbidly obese for over 40 years even though I tried every diet on the planet and was eating very little food. Until I combined ketosis with intermittent fasting ā€“ thatā€™s when the magic occurs because thatā€™s when you lower insulin. Ketosis makes it possible to stop eating for a period of time because youā€™re not hungry or craving carbs. I, eventually, realized that for me, I have to go a minimum of 36 hours before the process of lowering insulin and losing weight occurs. Others can do much shorter periods, and others need longer.

I have lost 75 pounds with this method in 10 months. Itā€™s not necessarily easy for me, but the results are highly motivating. I feel like Iā€™ll get to goal weight (and a 125 pound weight loss), and will maintain it for the rest of my life with this combination.

@xandtrek
Thatā€™s wonderful! Keto with IF isnā€™t working for me ā€¦at least 18/6 and 24 hr fasting. I might have to entend fast x amt times per month, I donā€™t know. But thatā€™s a good thing to look at. Might be just what I need. I do lose on a 5 or 7 day fast, so I should try 3 day fasts and see if they work. Thanksā˜ŗļø

(Newimprovedme ) #151

@xandtrek
Itā€™s great that you found what works for you.
Congrats on your progress.
Iā€™m also trying out 36 hour fasts, eating every other day, in conjunction with keto to get my weight loss going. So far it is working.

@xandtrek
So what do you do? Fast all day Monday and then Tuesday is a normal day? And then fast all day Wednesday and Thursday is a normal day? Then fast all day Friday and Saturday is a normal day?

@xandtrek
Iā€™ve avoided the shorter 36-48 hours fasts cuz those seem to be hours when youā€™re still adapting and burning off glycogen and have the nasty hunger pains. Does it get better? I know Iā€™m fat adapted now so do you not get the hungry horrors?

I just looked up 36 and 42 hours fasting in Dr.Fungsā€™s book, and I think the 42 hr 3 times a week could work for me(cuz I donā€™t eat breakfast). Do you add cream in your coffee or use bone broth?

I suggest you check out https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Fasting-Intermittent-Alternate-Day-ebook/dp/B01MF8SC2X/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1484253361&sr=8-1

It has schedules for various IF fasting schedules, and a bunch of other great info too.

@Pilotbob
I did. Iā€™ve read the book twice now and kinda skipped over that and went for the hardcore extended fastingā€¦but I realize that might have been a mistake. It was part of my trying to do the toughest Keto and fasting as possibleā€¦and that was just so wrongā€¦and I probably messed up my already messed up metabolism even more than it already is. New tact is slow and steady and try try try until you succeed :blush:

(Jo Lo) #157

Yes, slow and steady.

Personally I think fasting is overrated by Fung and Moore and others.

Listen to what Steve Phinney has to say about itā€¦ And Ted Naiman doesnā€™t recommend fasts longer than 16-24 hrs (he does favor skipping breakfast).
Our bodies need nutrition or things can go badly for us. Nutrition Density does it.

(Scott Shillady) #158

Fung has the science to back his claims, and I have seen it work in me.

(Keto Troll) #159

Eggs have a good fat/ protein ratio. Bacon is about half fat half protein. I also like skin on chicken thighs and chicken wings. The fattest hamburger you can find. And of course fatty ribeye steak. Avocados and olives are good sources of nutrients that go along with their high fat content. Hope this helps

(bulkbiker) #160

Iā€™ll second thatā€¦ get my best blood sugars when fasting for extended periods and they stay lower for longer