Keto not working for me

(Jen Andrew) #121

@Rookie, Do you sleep well when fasting? I am so afraid of staying up all night…

@Jen_Andrew, here’s a strategy that works for me with inducing deep sleep. Right before bed, I soak in a hot tub with Epsom salts. The Epsom salts adds magnesium to my body (increasing calmness) and the hot bath reduces my blood pressure (makes me drowsy and sleepy). But, I have to admit, I’m a good sleeper…I do this really to improve magnesium more than the sleep factor. I’m also aware that fasting increases cortisol levels…so I want to induce calmness in case cortisol starts becoming an issue. My two cents…

(Jacquie) #123

@Jen_Andrew Not sure what ‘normal aging’ is but if it’s eating SAD and doing lots of things that a lot of folks do that isn’t considered healthy by us keto folks then no way are we going to age normally and I’m proud of it. I’m at the head of a huge boomer cohort and most of us are not passive types. We’re proactive with regard to our health and won’t put up with a lot of crap from so called ‘experts.’ :wink:

I would part way with alcohol ASAP…highly detrimental to fat loss. Even low to no carb alcohol options stymie progress because of how alcohol is metabolized.

I never sleep well. I wake up about 1auntil around 4a every night. My pcp said that’s okay…just sleep later. I just picked up a book on behavior modification, so I’m going to seriously work on this

(Jen Andrew) #126

@Rookie, so you sleep the same bad even when you don’t fast? meaning, does your sleep change when you are fasting? How many g of fat do you eat when fasting? Do you feel hungry? I looked at fat fast calculator, and I don’t understand how 'friend" needs 79g of fat to fast, but I placed my numbers and I need only 20g of fat?

@Jen_Andrew:
Probably 18-24 grams of fat…which is 3-4T of heavy cream. (Enough for 16 oz coffee in am and 16 oz decaf in pm.

I have had sleep maintenance insomnia (can’t stay asleep), for the last 5 years, since menopause. Fasting has no effect on my sleep or lack thereof. I am not hungry.

@Jen_Andrew:
Probably 18-24 grams of fat…which is 3-4T of heavy cream. (Enough for 16 oz coffee in am and 16 oz decaf in pm.

I have had sleep maintenance insomnia (can’t stay asleep), for the last 5 years, since menopause. Fasting has no effect on my sleep or lack thereof. I am not hungry.

Sorry, somehow this sent twice. Probably the fool behind the tool (me :blush:)

(Jen Andrew) #130

@Rookie, have you heard of dr. Parsley’s Sleep Cocktail?

I have not tried that particular mixture, but I have tried so many things and nothing happens. I have thrown away so much $$$ worth of “sleep aids”. Benadryl makes my skin crawl, 5htp, tryptophan, chamomile, melatonin, valerian, lemon balm, I can’t even remember there were so many. I’m now reading on cognitive behavior therapy for insomnia (cbt-I) and have had some small improvement. So I’m hopeful. :heart:

Today I started taking rhodiola and ashwaghanda to treat the cortisol my insomnia and the stress it wreaks on me. I’ll let you know if they’re effective☺️

Just a quick follow up. Thanks for your sage advice. I have finally begun to lose - 3lbs so far. I also have lots of energy and rarely feel hungry, however I’m still following my macros. KCKO!

Hey @richard and @carl

Thanks so much for the great suggestions on today’s podcast. You nailed my m.o. I want to do keto perfectly. I want all the benefits right away. When my weight loss didn’t happen, I did IF. When 18/6 didn’t work, I added 3 days of 24 hr fasting (just one meal). And I did extended fasts before keto (before being fat adapted), and even though I lost some weight I was miserable, hungry, waiting for the burst of energy that never happened. Sooooooo, you both are right. I need to have some patience. I’ll keep the 18/6 IF because I’m not hungry until 11-12 noon. I’m going to drop the 24 hour IF and even the extended fasting until my metabolism is restored.

And I want to thank our community also. You folks are so wonderful and have given me so many tips to incorporate into my daily life. I’ll keep you all posted on my progress.:heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation::heavy_heart_exclamation:

(I like to post memes!) #135

@trekkin1 jelly!!!

(Rawd Xii Anna) #136

Don’t get disheartened
I had to do a lot of tweaking for these past 3 years

A LOT
It’s a constant experiment for me until I found my sweet spot
You’ll find your way
Just hang in there
:slight_smile:

And no, I ditched the scale and only measure my weight loss with clothings

Thanks…good to know you can find your sweet spot :blush:

(Kel Ta) #138

Lots of good ideas-3 years keto for gut problem- plateau busters have included cutting dairy and nuts, no snacks and minimal cream in coffee, but things go better when on no dairy including cream (butter is ok) and only do high fat meats with animal fats- Also following Ted Naimans advice of once fat adapted then cutting fat a little for a while to force your body to burn your own reserves is helpful. Magnesium pottassium aspartate does wonders for sleep if taken right before bedtime.

Great plateau busters…so far, I’ve cut down carbs and protein to see if that may help. If no movement, dairy will be next on the list. I’ll let you know. I take 250mg magnesium malate and 300mcg melatonin a couple hours before bed…it hasn’t helped. I just started rhodiola and ashwaghanda morning and afternoon to try to lower cortisol, which should keep insulin in check and allow me to burn fat…,in theory. Annnnnnd, I’m doing cognitive behavior therapy (cbt-I) by trying to stay up until 12 or 1am hoping that I can get at least 5 consecutive hours of sleep.
Thanks for the tips, if what I’m doing doesn’t work I’ll try them. :blush:

(Kel Ta) #140

good luck-I’m sure you’ll find the right mix for you! :slight_smile: