Keto not working for me

(Jen Andrew) #101

I live in Mass too, no luck finding even low carb Doctor :frowning: I also have problem losing weight. I have been keto for 10 month, in ketosis al the time. I check my blood ketones few times a week 0.5-1.2 I only need to lose 10-15 lb but its not possible unless I donā€™t eat or restrict calories. So I had 500-800 calories few times over 10 mo and thatā€™s how I los 5 lb. otherwise I go up and down few lb. I eat around 1600 cal a day. I am 5ā€™2" was 125lb lost 5 lb so far. Gained weight on x-mas so now I am 127lb. I am thinking of maybe stop eating all carbs and see what happensā€¦Seems like the less you have to lose the more difficult it isā€¦?

@Jen_Andrew, have you considered trying intermittent fasting with keto regimen?

From what Iā€™ve read, you can be in ketosis and gain weight. @Trekkin1 sees dr ted naiman in Seattle and he suggests, to cut body fat you need to take in less fat, and Iā€™ve seen his tweets to that effect also. So if you are already under 20gm carbs daily, maybe cutting some extra butter/cream may be the way to go, while maintaining eating fattier cuts of meat. Maybe @Trekkin1 can give you more insight into his successful Keto tips. Iā€™m cutting down on protein and some fats to see if it will jumpstart my weight loss. My body might just be readjusting and wants to setpoint at 155 for awhile. But I feel good so every day is a gift, ya know?

(ketohealthclub) #104

Effort on keto is different from effort on the old Calories in/calories out model when I was on Weight Watchers I definitely put in effort. I exercised like crazy to burn calories, and ate at 1200 or so calories. I suffered, but that equated effort back then. On keto, effort is nothing close to the stress and agony Iā€™ve always associated with weight loss. I donā€™t have to exercise to exhaustion- or at all, for weight loss. I keep my carbs at 20g or less- very easy. I watch my protein and eat to satiety. I fast every other day and. Ring fat-adapted makes that easy. If Iā€™m truly hungry, I eat without remorse. I put in :100: and I see the results in my lowered weight, heart rate, blood pressure and fasting blood glucose. No more quick-weight-loss old-school thinking for me. 40lbs since October 2, 2016 without weekly agony and hunger? Iā€™m sticking with keto- for life. I do hope youā€™ll stick this out.

(Jacquie) #105

@Jen_Andrew. I live in NS and thereā€™s no such thing as a low carb Dr. here either. I get all my information/research/ support on line and I think this forum will be the best all around resource for us. :slight_smile: Iā€™m also 5ā€™2", was 110lbs (I rarely weight myself these days and when I did it was once a month with measurementsā€¦though this morning I was 107.5lbs.).Bodyfat had been around 20% but now about 17.5% - not complaining (Iā€™m small boned). Iā€™ve never been more than 10-15 lbs. overweight and those last few (relatively speaking) lbs are hard to shed. Thatā€™s where you may need some tweaking. Everyone is different. I have never under eaten in my life, so when I first started tracking I got a huge shock. lol I donā€™t track now, only when thereā€™s an issue. My cals for maintenance are some where between 1200-1350 but I do eat over that often. Iā€™m active - lift weights, HIIT, lots of walks with the dog, and functional work outdoors like lifting rocks (not in the winter).
FYI, I rarely test ketones but I test FBG daily as I was surprised to learned I was pre-diabetic when I went from Whole30 to keto (starchy carbs and too much protein) even though I was thin and working out. When I first started keto, 2.5 years ago, I didnā€™t fast at all. I ate three meals, no snacks and nothing after 6pm and lost weight. Iā€™ll fast now anywhere from 14-18 hours and that works for me. Iā€™d be interested in your tweaks and progress. Onward! :grinning:

So, Iā€™m happy to report things ā€œstartedā€ moving this week. I hope it doesnā€™t come back, because that seems to be the pattern Iā€™m on. Keto on, Iā€™m doing, but keeping calm is easier said than done.

(Cindy) #107

Have you tried the list on this site? Looks like there may be some low carb friendly doctors in your general area.

Thereā€™s only one nurse practitioner on that list in western Massachusetts. Iā€™ve searched the doctors that are covered by my insurance and have only found conventional old school medical doctors. But I will continue to do whatā€™s best for me with the doctor I have until I find the right one. Thanks for helping me searchšŸ’—

(Genevieve Biggs) #109

I cannot give this post enough likes. As long as there is a like-limit, can we please give multiple on one post? :laughing:

(Guardian of the bacon) #110

Iā€™d like this for you Bob but sadly Iā€™m all out of my allotment. :rage:

(Jenn W) #111

Thanks @Genevieve

Many times people expect a quick fix. Modern life has put humans on a fast track. We have instant everything. Our expectations are a quick fix and a quick return.
The problem is that fixing the damage done by a life of unhealthy habits is not going to be fixed quickly! It takes time. More than that, it takes effort!
The Ketogenic diet (I hate the word diet letā€™s change it to life or something better) takes fine tuning and tweaking. This is why I LOVE this forum.
There is no definite one way to get success. You have to find what works for you and do it! When you have success share it here because someone else may be able to use it too!

(Jen Andrew) #112

Fiorella, yes I have, I eat only once 5-8pm. I drink 3L of water/day, I eat everything organic, green vegies, grass fed beef, little cheese (1-2 oz), ā€¦ 20 net carbs,40-60g protein, the rest is butter, coconut oil, avocados. But if I donā€™t eat less than 1200 cal I donā€™t lose any weight, and I feel hungry even if I eat 1500 cal. When I start eating I get hungry. And no fat bombs for me, because I can eat too manyā€¦I guess I need to start new topic, ā€œhow not to get hungry while eatingā€ā€¦lol

@Jen_Andrew, very interesting!!

Your story almost identical to mine! I went from IF to extended fasting. Iā€™m currently on day 2 of 7. It does an incredible job on my hunger. It lowers it so much that the days after I break the extended fast, Iā€™m not hungry. Iā€™ve also skipped eating anything naturally like 48 hours after extended fasts.

I hope you discover what works for youā€¦hang in there and test test testā€¦you will discover what your body wants and needs.

(Jen Andrew) #114

Do you do 24h fasting (water only)? How often you fast?

(Jen Andrew) #115

@Fiorella, I did fat fast (500cal), 2 times and did not sleep at all both nights, the next day I was angry and hungry and when you tired you are even more hungryā€¦Do you sleep well when you fast? do you take anything to help with hunger when you fats?

@Jen_Andrew, when I fast I have coffee, tea, water and thatā€™s itā€¦no cream, sweeteners, nothing. Only once when I did a very long extended fast (33 days) I added bone broth once per week and multivitamin twice per week. A few times I caved in and added cream to my coffeeā€¦but very rare, like once per week or two weeks, and only a tablespoon worthā€¦and I did this because I would be at a coffee shop with a friend, and I canā€™t stand most of the American style coffees (like Starbucksā€¦ahemā€¦ā€œcharbucksā€ā€¦ So a little cream helps take out the burnt taste).

The problem I discovered with my body is that with introducing small amount of food (500 calories) when fasting is that you may start the ā€œstarvationā€ mode, as opposed to autophagy. I feel like crap when I do that. I think what is happening is that my body to spends energy on my digestive system (which by the way is calorie intensiveā€¦lots of organs need to ā€œworkā€). So, to overcome this, I want my body to spend as much energy doing autophagy instead. However, in the past, when I tinkered with 500 calorie type fasting regimensā€¦I felt like crap, very weak and hunger went through the roof. I essentially put myself in starvation modeā€¦my body was doing two things at once I thinkā€¦digesting food and autophagy at the same timeā€¦this take more calories to maintain and wreaks havoc on my hormones and metabolism.

@richard created a fat consumption calculator, which you may want to play around with if you are not comfortable going whole hog no calories during fasting. You plug in your weight, metabolic rate and it suggests what level of fat you can consume during a fast. But, be carefulā€¦this means fat onlyā€¦like eating coconut oil, of clarified butter or something like that. If instead you eat something like bacon, or bone broth, you introduce protein, and all bets are off, because of the introduction of other variablesā€¦protein & carbs.

I discovered that I cannot add fat during my fastsā€¦I am fixing my very stubborn IR and resetting my metabolism. I tested different protocolsā€¦little by little, until I found what works. naturally, as I lose even more weight, and lower my IR issues, maybe I can re introduce fats in my fastsā€¦I am in testing mode, perpetually, sequential n=1 experimentation and slowly winning as I learn what works for me during the journey of better health.

Here is Richardā€™s fat during fasting calculator in case you are interested to experiment:

Hope this helps and I hope you discover what works for you.

When I 24 hour fast I have coffee with heavy cream, bone broth, and waterā€¦so itā€™s not a ā€œrealā€ fast. But I found that the couple hundred calories from broth and cream satisfy me and help me avoid many more calories. But I probably kill any autophagy that might have happened. I am going to do a 5 day (hopefully) starting tomorrow evening because I havenā€™t done one for awhile.

I was having a piece of dark chocolate in the evenings, but I stopped that because it just made me want sweet things. Even xylitol gum and mints make me want something sweet. So I think Iā€™m better off without them. Iā€™m still learningā€¦Iā€™m only 9 weeks inā€¦I might not be losing but Iā€™m not gainingā€¦so Iā€™m okay with experimenting a little bitšŸ˜›

Maybe I need to stop fasting for awhile. Iā€™m terrified to gain weight because at this time in my life it seems impossible to lose weight. And I think I need to alleviate the stress and the insomnia first, before I try too many tweaks. So many options :upside_down_face:

(Jen Andrew) #120

@Jacquie, You are lucky to be naturally thin :slight_smile: Before going keto, I have not been more than 25lb over, but I would have to starve to lose weight for the summer 15-20lb, then gain again in the winterā€¦yoyo kind of thingā€¦Since starting Keto I was able to stay at 120lb for longer than ever before and feel better in every way. But I like the best, when I am at 110lb, I would really like to find some ā€œformulaā€ for how to lose last 15lb and stay at my favorite weight for life :smiley:
I know some people say that; when you get older (40s and up), but you still want to look like you did in your 20sā€¦you are crazy,ā€¦ so stop dreaming, and get used to ā€œnormal agingā€ which comes with pains and achesā€¦I just sooo refuse to get old and I ā€œkeep dreamingā€ that one day we will get to the bottom of this :smirk:ā€¦