Keto not working for me

(Alexandria) #202

Thank you for the reply, although I’m not the OP. I also. Refer to hear this yo an extent

(Robin Weitzman) #203

Sometimes women need to actually increase a bit of Cals to increase weight loss, due to hormones kicking it and essentially saying " we are starving. Hang on to those fat stores for baby making! We are in starvation. Mode, damnit!"

Or maybe a nice fat fast would do the trick.

How’s the sal intake?

Maybe 125 is a good weight for your body?

(Robin Weitzman) #204

Oh! And maybe try adding probiotics, like a good kimchi or saurkraut.

I have a feeling that post-menopausal women have to be a lot more careful. I fasted for 4 days twice and didn’t get into ketosis. I went for several long walks, drank lots of water, checked with ketonix breath analyzer and got nothing. Thought it wasn’t working correctly but when I held a cotton ball with acetone on it it changed colors immediately. I felt fine and tolerated fasting well. Because we are a small group the data is pretty sparse. I have lost 35 lbs on keto and am doing well otherwise. Listen to every keto podcast to find information and look for reasons why ketosis is hard to obtain.

(Lisandra Mathews) #207

Thank you. I just got mine. Looking forward to testing my ketones and glucose myself for 1st time.

Just listened to a great podcast on Keto for Women, episode 7 that provided a lot of helpful information. check it out.

(Jackson ) #209

Any change with ashwaghanda supplement ?

(Brian) #210

I don’t drink but the way people talk here, alcohol can put a damper on weight loss. Something about the liver having to process the alcohol before it can deal with anything else, maybe? I don’t know how much is significant.

Didn’t seem To help. Actually had cortisol tested last May and it was fine…so it must be a different demon plaguing me :wink:

(Camille Yeager) #212

So, I have thyroid issues, and spent almost a year on keto with little or no results, (my A1C dropped from 6 to 5.5, which was enough to keep me going) so in january, I finally saw a keto friendly doctor, and we checked various things, it wasn’t my cortisol, but it looked like i did have Hashimoto’s, so I decided to try AIP. as I started that my mom (type II, lupus etc) reminded me that a 3 day fast can really help reset the immune system. I’d not managed anything longer than 24-30 hours fasting. I was also listening to some podcasts featuring Dr. Annette Bozworth, and she talks about the blood glucose:ketone ratio. I realized my fasting glucose was usually around 100, and my ketones about .5 or .6. which means that I was in ketosis, but my insulin was still high enough to keep me from getting the results I wanted. Turns out I had to do a 3 day fast before my ratio dropped below 40. So now I’m slogging through AIP, knowing that I’m going to need to do frequent extended fasts. It took me a year to find this possibility, but now I have made some progress and I’m hoping that it will all fall in line as I work out my food sensitivities and keep my ratios where the need to be. DON’T GIVE UP!

(Sharon ) #213

Keep going! I’m almost 63 and have been to so many Drs to see why I cannot loose weight. I eat clean , cook every day, NEVER eat at fast food places…( originally from England where generally the food is fresher and not full of pesticides :wink:) do everything but find it impossible to loose! So disappointing. So I feel your pain. 2016 went low carb,took 3 LONG months then I noticed slight weight loss. Inches came off!! Fell off the wagon , meaning I had a slice of toast and occasional pasta. Never over ate. Second time doing low carb NOTHING! Now I’m just going to do it and hope I will feel the health benefits and reduce my waistline as I’m pre diabetic. I have never ever had a weight problem until late 40’s . I’m reading everything there is to read out there and what I’m learning is that sadly some people take for ever to loose weight. Now Iv come to terms with it, I’m
just plodding on and realize I no longer can get away with eating carbs, apart from healthy carbs, that is. I even tried low calorie 2 months ago to prove a point to my Doctor…logged every bite…stayed about 1200 …weight loss NOTHING! Hated calorie counting so back on Keto and I almost collapsed this morning as I have lost 2 LBS over 2 weeks!!! No rhyme nor reason . Funny thing is years ago when I was skinny and ate everything in sight I used to think people were lying when they said they dieted and couldn’t loose weight.Now I’m paying :joy:

(bulkbiker) #214

What are these mythical beasts?