Keto not really working

(Olivia Bilocca) #1

Hi All, I’ve been on Keto for roughly 12 weeks now. My story is that I lost my baby weight via clean eating (I’ve basically done clean eating all my life). However since May 2017 clean eating wasn’t doing it anymore for me. I felt always hungry and food was getting boring and in social situations basically you’re left out cause there is NOTHING you can eat. I gained 4lbs and when I discovered Keto I decided to give it a go.

Thing is that I love the keto food but in terms of weight loss nothing has really happened :frowning: It is getting discouraging now but with the new year and holiday food behind I’d like to give it another shot. I do feel better so I would love to stick to it.

I will start tracking via MFP as I tend to over do the protein. Keeping carbs in check is not a problem for me. I’ve also noticed that my belly is always bloated which is very uncomfortable.

Suggestions PLEASE! I’m feeling very lost and discouraged about it.

TIA
Olivia

(Allie) #2

We could do with some more info really, such as what you’re actually eating and what macros etc?

(Dan Dan) #3

This tends to happen if you eat lean protein :thinking:

Best advice is to eat fatty protein :grinning:

“May the Force (fat adaption) be with you”

IF/EF Keto WOE is Self-Discovery :wink:

Good luck and much success in your journey in IF/EF Keto WOE :grin:

(Olivia Bilocca) #4

Sure, I’m 39 years old and only do Yoga once a week.
I’m eating 20g net carbs (at times even less), protein target 61g and fat target 104 daily.

I tend to skip breakfast. My go to side dish is broccoli and cauli with cream and grated cheese. I generally have chicken/pork with it for lunch. Evenings depends on where I am with my macros.

Lately I’ve eaten a lot of cheese, parma ham and salami. Not sure how bad/not it is.

Another go to meal is zero carb pasta with Basil pesto (store bought pesto)

Let me know if you need more information.

Olivia

(Olivia Bilocca) #5

Could you suggest fatty protein options? Google searches tend to get overwhleming with contrasting information.

what does this mean?

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback

(Dan Dan) #6

Always cook with butter/fat even veggies

No skin No Chicken

When buying beef or pork if you don’t see lots of fat don’t buy

No deli meats too lean

When in doubt just add butter/fat

Its the fat that keeps you from feeling hungry and craving food :grinning:

IF Intermittent Fasting
EF Extended Fasting

WOE Way of Eating

(Olivia Bilocca) #7

Thanks for the broken down info! It’s hard to figure things out on your own. On my side of the pond there are no nutritionists available for Keto…most people think I’m just crazy.

(Dan Dan) #8

Your Calories are low from most experiences I have read here and my own you will get better results with more calories :thinking:

You can try IF/EF Many find it Jump starts Ketosis and fat loss :grinning:

(Dan Dan) #9

We are… Crazy like a Fox :grin:

(Olivia Bilocca) #10

I sort of do IF nearly daily. Usually my last meal is not later than 8pm and then have lunch the next day around 12/1pm. That’s good no?

(Dan Dan) #11

That’s a good start but to see good results a 20/4 works best (4 hour eating window 20 hour fasting window)

I practice IF/OMAD(One Meal A Day) 2500 kcals and EF(48 hours) and get amazing results even with all the Indulgence days over the holidays and still lost body fat and inches :grin:

(Olivia Bilocca) #12

That’s great. I suppose I need to transition myself into longer fasting hours? Is it healthy?

(Dan Dan) #13

Yes its healthy as long as you eat enough :grin:

(Karen) #14

You also seem to have a lot of cheese. Some people hold weight with dairy. I’m fairly new but these guys and gals are generally right. Yesterday I ate way more than my calorie expectation. Kept it keto AND TA DA , HAD A LOSS.

(Jessica) #15

How tall are you? How much weight do you have to lose? You mentioned having a baby, are you breastfeeding?

(Dan Dan) #16

You don’t have to IF every day to see benefits a couple times a week is good :grin:

You can also do IF without Keto :grin:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

Check your dress size periodically. For women, often the scale doesn’t move, but the body can still shrink. Apparently, women who have restricted their caloric intake for a long time often find that their bodies put on lean muscle mass when they start eating keto, and thus their weight doesn’t go down, even though they are losing fat nicely. Also there’s that monthly cycle thing going on, so the hormonal situation is complicated. If you are feeling well and your clothes are getting looser, then don’t pay any attention to what the scale is telling you.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Try cutting out or at least down on the dairy. Dairy tends to cause bloating in lots of people.

I also second the suggestion to try extended the fasting window and shortening the eating window.

Or you could try a 36 hr. fast. making sure you get all your electrolytes in daily. However if your baby less than 12 months old disregard fasting suggestions. There are some podcasts where Megan Ramos advises nursing mothers with babes less than a year old to not fast and just focus on being keto for best results for mom and the baby. Sorry, I don’t have to exact episodes for you, but I have heard her mention this twice, not sure on which ones however.

(Olivia Bilocca) #19

Thanks everyone for your input.

I’m 159cm tall and my ‘baby’ turns 3 years tomorrow :grinning: I had kept all the weight off but since May 2017 5lbs crept up on me. I’ve always been a ‘clean eating’ follower but that doesn’t seem to work any more for me.

Dairy: I will watch out.

Breakfast: what do you suggest? Especially for weekdays on the go

IF/EF: in the eating window for example if it’s 4 hours, I can eat any number of times I want during those 4 hours? (As long as I fit my macros).

Electrolytes: How do I know I’m doing well there?

Do you suggest ketostix or blood monitor to measure ketones?

Question for the ladies: my tummy is bloated and I have a nagging pain like when you’re on. Except that I’m not and I’m on the pill (mid pack). Anyone of you experienced this?

@Olivia_Bilocca you may have some microbiome imbalances - such as excess fermentation or Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth - it’s very common and getting the right kind of prebiotic fiber into the body may help a lot… There are big differences between soluble and insoluble fiber, and different good bacteria feeds on different things.

Also, a degree of randomness can really help keep the body on its toes - esp for females as we have a stronger buffer, more difficulty, in transforming the last 10-20 pounds of fat - or during midlife - due to the body being very protective of our fertility and energy! The body will adapt to our habits, and so, IF for 4-5 days on, and then keto feasting for 2-3 days can help keep the metabolism actively responding.