Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

(KCKO, KCFO) #41

This is why I think I have found my WOE for the rest of my life. Hunger is a thing of the past. And I find myself doing IF for the whole week often, I am only aiming to do it 4-5 days a week, but really sometimes I just don’t feel like eating anything. A statement that never crossed my mind before this WOE.

Didn’t you read my post above? I said that most hot dogs AREN’T offal…

:joy: :grin:

Just kidding…I couldn’t resist! I see what you’re saying now. I usually consider offal to be the visceral/innard parts of the definition you cited (letter © in the definition). I’ve never heard/used the term “offal” to mean trimmings, especially those used in hot dogs. That was the source of my confusion in your reference.

(Ross) #43

Here’s why you can eat all you want when you cut out the carbs: (forgive me if you already know this)

Protein tends to be self-limiting. Once you eat enough, you’ll stop for the most part.

Non-starchy vegetables tend to be self limiting and not a problem. Never seen anyone really gorge on broccoli with butter. Even if they did, people don’t get fat from such things. The bulk and all the fiber tends to turn off hunger.

Fat is very self-limiting. Eating fat has the effect of turning off the hunger reflex.

Insulin production is triggered mainly from eating carbs (sugar & starches). It can also be triggered to a lesser degree from over-eating meat / protein via gluconeogenesis. (liver converts extra amino acids to glucose).

Insulin functions as an ON/OFF switch for the body for FAT STORAGE / FAT BURNING.

When insulin is produced and sent into the blood, it TURNS OFF FAT BURNING and TURNS ON FAT STORAGE.

When insulin is not produced / present this TURNS ON FAT BURNING and TURNS OFF FAT STORAGE.

Our bodes are not designed to simultaneously both BURN and STORE fat. This makes logical sense. Also, glucose over a very minimal amount in the blood stream (~2 teaspoons?) is TOXIC. That’s why sugar makes such a great preservative in jams and certain cured dried meats for instance. A large carbohydrate meal causes our bodies to go into panic mode to clear out the sugar toxin. Two options, burn it off or turn it to fat. We can only burn so much at a limited rate…so we produce fat.

So…the take away here is if you eat high fat, moderate protein and also eat your non-starchy veggies but keep your carb intake very very low… then there really isn’t much of a mechanism to produce more fat. FAT BURNING ON / FAT STORAGE OFF.

A few caveats. Some people may have more of an insulin response than others to things like dairy products, etc… You’ll need to figure that out on your own. Over-eating meat can produce an insulin response, but nothing like eating sugar. Non-caloric sweeteners also can produce and insulin response via our sense of taste. It’s a cue to the brain that carbs are on the way and it better be ready to prevent cell death from too much toxic sugar! Fire up that insulin response ASAP!!!

Carbs in starchy fibrous veggies are less of a concern because the rate of release is so slowed that the insulin response is lessened… It’s very different than say eating the same amount of carbs from a a piece of cake…

Hope that helps!

(Khara) #44

Ya, the hot dog mention I think was really just to get a visual of size and quantity. The original poster… wow, I just figured out what OP means, finally… the OP on previous occasions had also asked the same question of chicken, eggs, and pork chops I think. I think she’s just really trying to get a visual to have in mind for daily quantities. As many people have said here, it’s going to be different for everyone as we mostly all just eat when hungry and stop when satiated but I can totally understand this concept feeling foreign after a life time of CICO thinking. She seemed desperate to know what really us eating to satiety looked like and so that’s why I at least offered how much I would personally eat of those items. Hopefully it’ll help her to start to realize and find her own point of satiation.
And for me, I tend to keep a pack of hot dogs in the fridge almost always. I buy the healthiest ones I can find… no nitrates, msg, antibiotics, hormones, minimally processed. This is essentially my emergency food (along with always having eggs on hand). If I’m exhausted and completely uninspired to cook, a hot dog or eggs now replace what would’ve been a bowl of cereal in previous years! So, yes, I eat hot dogs to be healthy! :+1:t3::hotdog:

(KCKO, KCFO) #45

I use this visual to keep portions under control, since going keto/lchf WOE. I don’t really worry about calories at all anymore, I use my eyes and my feelings of satiety to go by and I resigned my membership in “the no seconds” club.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #46

@Crippie yeah I feel weird eating that much fat and expecting to loose weight myself.
Now you’ve grabbed my attention to calories. I totally ditched it, from all the forums I read, I thought it wasn’t important. But now I think I’ll try to stick to the 1,200 calories of that will make the fat loss faster.
And yes Crippie I’m absolutely in heaven eating all the food I love; and still loose weight

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #47

@jeremystorie
Lol :laughing:
Waiters don’t really get it, especially when they see the fats on my plate, and the lean meet on my husband plate
They look at me as if I’m big mama lol :see_no_evil:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #48

@Jimbo so you mean I shouldn’t bother myself with quantities now?
I just eat until I’m full
This is heavenly looool

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #49

@Saphire yes so true, that’s why I always ask questions, to make sure I really get it right
Because it all seems wrong to me, like what you’ve said (it’s all what my mum said don’t eat)
Funny it is that I’m a true fat lover, and yes I do eat chicken with the skin on, that irritates my husband and he used to take them off my plate, to make sure I don’t eat them :joy: But now he is giving me all the skin in his plate. And with every time he does that he says “I hope that Keto really works”
:joy:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #50

@Jimbo I totally agree
I am Egyptian just for everyone to know my origins but I’m moving to the uk next month.
The thing is Egyptians live on fats FOR REAL, we don’t use oil in general, my family always used ghee to fry breaded chicken or beef.
I was told that My grandparents that I’ve never seen, lived on fatty food and they were very healthy. So I think we are back to that time now.
It’s so true what you said
I was going to a dentist 10 years ago, I was about 25 at that time. The elevator didn’t work, so I had to take the stairs to the 8th floor, I was young and slim; but I was so exhausted. When I arrived at the clinic, a very very old lady looked at me and said, “I don’t know what is wrong with you at that age?? All of you young people are out of energy, look at me I’m the age of your grand mother and I eat with ghee and plenty of eggs and I’m cholesterol free and much healthier than you. I just don’t eat carbs” :see_no_evil:
I guess that lady did Keto without even knowing looool

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #51

@siobhan the thing i just started and I was a bit confused
Like when I weigh 250g of salmon and log it to the app it says only 59g of Protien and 11g of fat!!!
So I was confused of how to weigh my food
I didn’t know what to follow, shall I follow my scale or the apps scale :slight_smile:
But of course I like what the app comes up with; because it means I can eat more
And sometime I eat without logging the food and I feel like I’ve messed up and ate more than I should, but then when I log on food, it looks ok or slightly the proteins are 5g more than I should

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #52

@KBG
I am following your guidance
With eat first and then log and I must admit, it made my life easier big time.
But that means I can still as many hot dogs as I want as long as I’m within my macros right?

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #53

@KBG lovely
I’m Egyptian and we use Tahini (Sesame paste) with all charcoal barbequed beef or lamb
So it’s perfect with charcoal grilled lamb chops, or lamb kebabs, it’s actually heavenly. I eat that as well with some Egyptian salad (slices of cucumbers and raw onions with a dressing made of oil, vinegar, lemon, salt and pepper); I usually add tomatoes to that salad; but not anymore after Keto)
As for the Tahini itself, it comes like a thick paste and it doesn’t taste that nice if you don’t season it. I’m famous in my family with my Tahini
I add finely chopped onions to it, some ground garlic, lots of cumin, lemon, white vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Yummy :tongue:
Actually this is one of my favourite meals and I’m glad it’s Keto friendly and I feel no guilt at all eating it now.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #54

@marklifestyle believe it or not
I decided to try fasting yesterday I had a couple of coffees with coconut oil and the first meal I actually ate was at 2:30 am :scream:
To be honest, I followed my body and I did not feel hungry at all , all morning. I ate when I felt like I can eat.
I’m absolutely ok with skipping meals looool but like anyone else I thought that I have to eat 5 times a day to boost my metabolism (that’s what all doctors say). But the Keto way is actually my best decision; it just suits me by all means. Where I’m not following a piece of paper or have to eat at certain times.
Surprisingly I’ve lost 1.6kg on my first week of Keto but lost another 1kg just in that day I fasted :slight_smile:
I love Keto so much and love that forum a lot

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #55

@Aqua_chonk That’s smart

Easy on the onions and garlic, relatively high sugar

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #57

@ggv so I shouldn’t limit myself with calories
That’s even more interesting
I’m not that hungry to be honest, I’ve been on Keto since the 8th of September so 9 days so far, and I’m not so hungry most of the times
Because I still feel like I’m messing up with my normal menu; and as you can see, I wasn’t so sure of what to eat? Or how to limit quantities?
But now I think I’m getting it all
I will eat until I’m fine so I won’t snack in between
I do snack on water with lemon :lemon:
That’s alright right?

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #58

@collaroygal @ggv @PaulL
Is it normal that in 9 days only, I’m fine with IF?
I don’t feel like eating and I’m surprised; how I’m not so hungry, like when I followed a high protein, low fat and moderate carb diet.
I honestly feel lighter, despite the actual weight loss; which is only 2.5kg on total
But I just feel lighter

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #59

@ggv that definitely helped
And I loved it more when you people explain in details, like I’m an idiot looool :joy:
No really it’s not bothering me at all; that’s the way I want you all to explain things to me, so I can fully get it all
Now about Non-caloric sweeteners also can produce and insulin response via our sense of taste, that’s what you @KBG were trying to tell me; when I asked you if I can add Crush Water Enhancer or any other brand to my water
Now I see the whole idea :bulb:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #60

@KBG yes Khara that is absolutely correct, I was trying to see how much you guys are eating to satiation. Cause I felt like I’m a monster.
I as well have hot dogs in my fridge, for emergencies, ever since I started Keto.
And your comments are very helpful for me :slight_smile: