Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #21

@collaroygal I check the Calculator you sent me, I have no idea which body fat i belong to, but i believe i am something like 30% or 35% not the 40%
shall i change that in Carb Manager, or leave it as it is?

(Crippie) #22

Totally! I didn’t believe it at first either, all the butter and cheese I could dream of, and bacon! and its encouraged to salt your food! It just seemed bonkers to me but it works!

In the first few weeks you could gain, or lose, or maintain. The scale is your enemy in the first month, your goal should be to become fat adapted which is much easier when you are full and happy on fat!

So ignore the scale for the first few weeks, and just eat fat until you are full. Once you get the carbs out of your system and are in ketosis and fat adapted you will find that you get full so much faster, and get hungry less often. That is where the weight really starts to come off. Your body is burning its stored fat which is why you have virtually no hunger!

It is a good idea to try and track all your food in a food tracker like My Fitness Pal or something similar, more to make sure you are not getting hidden carbs, and to make sure your protein numbers are not incredibly high. But it is also cool to go back and just see how your numbers do start to decline and eventually you are only eating 1200 calories a day and feeling full the entire time.

(Jeremy Storie) #23

Yeah, I get the strangest look from the waitress when I ask her to have the cook dig around and find me the fattiest ribeye he can find. Then I ask her if they have real butter that I can spread on top of it :grin:

(Jim Russell) #24

Here is how I like to do it: I keep my carbs under 20 grams net. That’s it. After that, I just eat fat and fatty meat and let things take care of themselves. Eat until you’re full, then stop. Try not to snack. Either eat a meal or don’t eat.

If you try that and it isn’t working for you, then maybe you will need to be stricter with your macros. This seems to be much more common for women than men.

Remember, you’re not on a diet. For keto to be really successful long-term, it needs to become a way of life. And after seeing how easy it is and the results, both on the scale and off, I can’t imagine going back.

Hot dogs as many as you want assuming nitrates do not bother you. They have about 5 grams of protein per serving so in theory if you ate nothing else, probably around 10. At your size about 50 grams of protein a day is good but a little more is ok. Cheese, some people limit to 4 ozs a day but not everyone does. Mayonaise contains canola oil in the US, many people thinkl seed oils are unhealthy. Lots of recipes for olive oil mayo which you can eat as much as you want. You will get full. Try to listen to your body, if you are mostly full, stop eating. Wait, see if you are still hungry. No snacking if you can as others have said.

I call this the diet of everything you were told not to eat by your mother and everyone else

Lettuce, a cup if you want.

(Jim Russell) #26

The funny thing is that it is way closer to the way my grandmother ate than my mom. She cooked everything in bacon grease. She even spread it on bread, which is counter productive, obviously. She was a big bacon and egg eater too. She lived to 98, so I guess she was doing something right.

(Siobhan) #27

Yes, keto is a very ad libitum way of eating when it comes to fat.
Protein is enough to maintain (or build) muscle - about 1-1.5g of protein per kg (2.2 lbs) of lean body mass.
<20g of carbs
The rest is fat. By “the rest” I mean until you’re full and not hungry between meals.
So cook up some chicken and dip it in melted (good quality) butter (like I just did for dinner haha), or very fatty cuts of meat, homemade mayo (seed oils I do not recommend but melted bacon grease works great for mayo!), bacon, etc… and of course some veggies to make things interesting :slight_smile:
Or some berries on occasion… heavy cream (whipped) + vanilla + a few berries = yummy
I tracked for about 2 days and have not tracked calories or fat since (1 year and change on keto now). I occasionally track protein.
For carbs I just memorized things or look them up if I need to.
But, you may find it easier to track, etc… depends on preference. I prefer not to.

So - I would say just look up foods you frequently eat (like hot dogs, cheese, eggs, etc) and calculate for the protein, then add fat to stay full, etc

(Carpe salata!) #28

But your grandmother or great-grandmother would have probably called it normal.

Edit:
I see @Jimbo already said that above me so I’ll add…
When I was in Alaska, the crab was always served with a pot of melted butter. I had never seen that before but it was so good.

(Khara) #29

If I was eating these foods in a day…
1st meal would be 2 jumbo eggs cooked in butter. I’d also have at least 2 slices of bacon with this and also 1/4 to 1/2 an avocado with olive oil and salt on top. (If bacon wasn’t available, a hot dog with the eggs would be good.)
2nd meal could easily be 2 hot dogs. I would prefer these with mustard and a tiny dollop of ketchup (ketchup is sugary :confused:). But if I had mayonnaise, I’d probably use 1-2 tablespoons. The cheese slices on the side… that’s hard to describe because “slices” are differing sizes. I could eat 1-2 ounces of cheese. These 2 hot dogs may or may not fill me up depending on the day. If I was still hungry I might have another 1 or 2 eggs. And there would probably be a cup or two of coffee with heavy cream.
I’m trying to just give you an idea of how much I would eat on a normal day with these foods. I really do just eat until I’m not hungry anymore. A lot of other people have said this too. I personally think you should do your day with these particular foods as a test. Eat whichever ones sound good and until you are satisfied. Log all you eat and then look at your macros. If protein ended up too high or fat too low then now you know and you can adjust the next time.
I hope that helps some…

(Khara) #30

Haidy, What types of dishes do you use Tahini on or for? I’d never heard of it before.

(Cheryl Meyers) #31

Yep! that is how I have always thought of keto–just getting back to the way people always used to eat before the dietary guidelines. Veggies from their own gardens. Meat from the local butchers.

Here’s my two cents:

1. You can absolutely have more than a “cup” of lettuce. Heck, you can have an entire giant bowl of lettuce. And, double heck, you probably should be having a large leafy green salad each day, drizzled with a good amount of olive or avocado oil.

2. All of these references to hot dogs sort of skeeve me out. There are vastly better protein/fat options. Hot dogs (nitrate free or not) are pretty nasty processed foods that should be eaten minimally by anyone, keto or not. They shouldn’t be a staple here.

Again, my two cents. Keep the change. :sunglasses:

(Mark Rhodes) #33

I did as well and used the experience of first facebook groups and then settled into this forum while reading Phinney and Volek “Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Diet” and other books and papers. I found that what seems to be working currently for me: Shoot for 20g total of carbs. This allows for flexibility. The 20 g number was developed by Dr. Atkins as Phinney first suggested about 50g. I have found that I can eat more carbs occasionally ( extra zoodles not cookies) as long as I do not do it daily and it will not knock me out of nutritional ketosis or have much effect on any measuring I do. I started with protein at 1.5g per pound of LBM but currently am about .8 most days ( with some days equaling my total weight). I then eat fat for the rest of my calories. MY CALORIES are determined by how hungry I am and not an arbitrary number generated by my macros. If I am hungry I eat. I do try to limit in between meals or snacking. This raises my insulin and prevents the need for my body to use those ketones to get rid of body fat.
To recap: 20g total CHO, Protein equal to kg of LBM or less, the rest is fat. Eat bigger meals to reduce snacking. Repeat tomorrow ( unless fasting but I expect you will be asking about that in about 3 months or so :wink:slight_smile: Glad you are here with us in this way of life!!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

I have only one word in defense of hot dogs, offal. Offal is not common in this country, heck you no longer get the liver and gizzards with your “whole” chicken anymore. And lamb kidneys, forget it. I don’t even know of a indepent butcher who has those for sale. If I decide I must have pork liver, I have to just give that idea up too. I grew up when you could still get those things at the local town grocery store. LCHF, just proving everything old is new again.

I also don’t think the poster meant to imply it should be a staple. Just giving the OP an idea of what to do with even a challenging food product.

Hi, @collaroygal, are you saying that hot dogs are a good choice because offal is relatively hard to find? Hot dogs are not typically made up of offal, but regular beef/pork parts.

http://www.hot-dog.org/resources/Hot-Dog-Ingredients-Guide

But, I might be missing your larger point. :sunglasses:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #36

My technique: Eat within my macros for five minutes, then wait. Still hungry? Eat more.

Whatever portion size that turns out to be was the correct portion size that day. (burp!)

(Ross) #37

Yes eat as much as you want. Caloric restriction is counter productive and results in longer term weight gain.

Only your hypothalamus knows how much you need to eat an it will tell you via hunger given a little time to adjust. High carb diets confuse the hypothalamus so in the midterm (during your 4 week keto adaptation phase) your hunger may be a little wonky…but that’s just fine. Eating high fat will allow your hypothalamus to recalibrate back to normal.

Eat as much as you want. I don’t measure a damn thing. I just eat off of the color coded banting lists until I’m not hungry any more. I started with three or four meals a day…now i’m down to one or two…not because I’m trying to restrict just because I’m not hungry.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

For me, that is the weirdest sensation. On carbs, I was always hungry, even when full. But now, take today, for example: it’s almost lunchtime, and I’m still trying to decide whether I even want breakfast.

(Ross) #39

SAME HERE!

I was always hungry!!! I would eat every couple hours…lots of granola and sweet yogurt as between-meal-meals.
Breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, second lunch, dinner, late night snack…jez…6 meals a day?

Some days now I have two meals, some just one, others I just decide not to eat at all… Shocking how much time that’s freed up in my life for other things.

(KCKO, KCFO) #40

It is very difficult to get any offal. I have bison hot dogs from time to time. I am very picky about my hot dogs, most are just awful, but a few free range groups offer them and I will eat those. I would not eat them all in one day, in fact a package of them can last me about 6 months, thanks to the freezer.

I made the other comments about offal availability, because when I was growing up, they were readily available, not so any more. You have to travel outside the USA/Canada these days if you really want to indulge in offal eating.