Keto meal portions! Kindly answer fast as I'm hungry LOL

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #94

There are two types of fat cells: white and brown. White fat cells are for storage only; they accept free fatty acids from the bloodstream and bind them into triglycerides, and take triglycerides apart and put the fatty acids back into the bloodstream. This process is highly regulated by the presence or absence of insulin.

Brown fat cells not only store fatty acids, but also metabolize them, producing heat in the process. Hibernating animals have a lot of brown fat, which metabolizes their fat store during estivation. The presence of carbohydrate in their diet, especially glucose (as in ripe berries in autumn), stimulates the growth of brown fat; by springtime, their brown fat stores are depleted, and their metabolism returns to normal.

Human babies are born with deposits of brown fat in certain locations; it provides enough warmth that they don’t need to shiver to stay warm. As they grow, these brown fat deposits turn into white fat, which is why children do shiver.

The key point is that under the proper stimulus, fat cells can change from white to brown, or vice versa. It has been shown in certain studies that under the right circumstances, the human body will change some white fat into brown fat, and the brown fat will metabolize fat simply to use it up, simply wasting the heat produced. That’s what Ross didn’t know. And what I didn’t know was the bit he posted about brown fat’s being activated (or white fat being turned into brown) by exposure to cold.

Why are the two types called “white” and “brown”? It’s simply that the former looks noticeably whiter, and the latter, noticeably browner than the other.

(Ernest) #95

Why limit yourself to one a week?
Keto is easy. Folks tend to make things complicated with calculators, tracking, scales, chasing high ketone readings, constantly needing snacks etc.
Eat when hungry. Eat fatty cuts of meat and fat.
Enjoy your rack of lamb with the fat. I love them.

(Mark Rhodes) #96

I do not recommend anything other than share what I have done. There is not a right way to do this but many wrong ones.
I use a glucose meter and a ketone meter for testing blood. I use my Ketonix for testing breath. What are the differences?

The Ketone meter is expensive and even using a Keto Mojo at .99 cents per test could add up in the beginning to $7-10 a week or more using a different style. The Ketonix is a one time cost. There are some issues with using one over the other. The engineer who developed the Ketonix did so to save his own life and you can find his story here: https://www.ketonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=156:history-about-ketonix&catid=13:artiklar&Itemid=524&lang=en
So currently when I have doubts regarding a particular meal I will use my ketonix to known with assurance that I am still close to my average. I pay little heed to any actual “score” as I am not aware of any evidence to show that higher readings create any more significant fat loss. When my ketonix readings are far lower than actual I do a blood test. What this has allowed me to do is to test different foods & beverages and see if any reduction of those values is a result.

Consider this. I make keto treats using xylitol. If I have one on any given day, no change. If I eat them daily I get a drop from my average. Therefore keto treats are just that, TREATS, to be enjoyed occasionally.
Yesterday I made a very large stir fry from the garden with paneer cheese and bacon bits. That was 10 hours ago. I drink HWC with my morning coffee. My morning My ketonix reading was 32.4 PPM. kinda mid range for me so I then tested my BS was 90 mmol & ketones were .4. I do tend to be lower here anywhere from .4-1.0 even when I am fasted for three days, which currently I am not. So I can conclude that my stir fry likely did raise my insulin levels a tad more than than I am comfortable with but well within range. It also allows me to look forward to today’s meals. I can continue with HWC, have a gyro platter midday and some lamb for dinner which likely will knock my numbers up a bit tomorrow. If so, no foul, no harm. If NOT and it continues for a couple more days as low I will take the required actions.

One last note, as I go in this way of life I do not test as obsessively. Tomorrow is another day. I am still learning what works today as my metabolic damage is repaired I might be able to re-visit what I cannot do today. However I can only know with apodictic certainty by testing and not relying on a “feeling”. But then again I am an engineer and data drives my decisions.

I hoe this lengthy response helps you to understand what I do and how it helps me. You will need to find your own path based on the experiences shared here. Good Luck!!!

(Ross) #97

Here’s the Scientific American article from the link above. I found it very helpful and supports what Paul just said!

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #98

@PaulL and @ggv
I didn’t know anything about it, but that was very informative to me as well
So in colder climates, there is a better possibility that white fats turn to brown fats; and make weight loss faster?
I’m glad I’m moving to London from Egypt LOL from hot to cold, I believe I can easily tell you all, if that made a difference with me or not, when I get there.

@Ernest the reason I wrote once a week, because I wasn’t so sure if it would kick me out of ketosis or not. So I was trying to limit myself.
I’m not loosing any weight at the moment, just 2.5kg in 10 days. And I have no idea if I’m in ketosis or not, but I’m following all your recommendations.

@Saphire as for my mum despite she feels better, and we are both monitoring her sugar level and blood pressure but yet she was a bit discouraged this morning, when she weighed herself and told me that she actually gained like 1kg :scream: I told her that’s just water that replaced the fats she lost and she should ditch the scale and try using her clothes to monitor.

@marklifestyle that was as well very informative, problem is I haven’t moved to the uk yet and in Egypt there are no Ketosix or anything else for me to know if I’m in ketosis or not, I guess I will just stick to the Carb manager and macros until I go next month. I just wanted to know if I’m in ketosis or not, but looks like there is no way for me to find, which meal is best for me at the moment. I’m still a bit lost with how to find out if I’m in ketosis or not. But no other options :worried:
So now my question is?
Do I really need to purchase anything to know if I’m in ketosis? Cause I can’t do that before a month from now.

(Mark Rhodes) #99

In that case, using pee sticks the first couple of weeks will show you that you are producing ketones but then it will also likely fade away. During this time you will be in ketosis. You also might feel sick during the initial phase as your body starts to switch over. Use plenty of salt, if you can take magnesium & potassium to help you through this period if you can avoiding supplements with fillers i.e. carbs.
The goal is to become fat adapted but as of yet there is no large test of this. There is a post going on right now dealing with this very subject How to Tell if You're "Adapted"

(Khara) #100

My first time Keto, I did not buy any kind of ketone tester. I successfully lost 40 lbs in about 7-8 months. I have ordered one now, but mostly just out of curiosity as I go forward and play with fasting. It is certainly not necessary for weight loss success in my opinion.
I feel like I can tell that I’m in ketosis by the length of time I can intermittent fast before getting hungry and wanting to eat. I can easily go the better part of a day or even a full day sometimes without being hungry. There is no way I could’ve done this on carbs and so this is my own feel for being in ketosis and fat adapted.

The ketostix are nice in the beginning because you get the purple color showing you are doing it right way.

You should be able to get it in your country. It is designed for diabetics to avoid keto acidosis. They have been around for many years. Ask the pharmacist.

Whether you need it absolutely, probably not

(Ross) #102

@Haidy_Makram_Ebeid, just to be clear, the colder climate stuff is just speculation on my part. The difference in obesity levels of Minnesota and Colorado VS surrounding states has bugged me for some time because it was attributed to year-long exercise (at least in MN)… I’m speculating that it’s not the calories burned from exercise so much as a greater amount of activity performed outdoors in colder temps.

The testing looked to be done for shorter exposures at moderate temps, so take from it what you will…

More speculation on my part, I do wonder what part conductivity plays? I would imagine that it’s not just raw temperature that plays a part but rather rate of cooling (related to the k in Newton’s law of cooling). Extended exposure to 60 F temps in air would probably seem about the same to a human body as swimming or just wading in 80 F pool water as far as heat loss is concerned. Perhaps similar results could be experience simply by bobbing around a pool for a while a couple times a week?

I would probably eat two of those plate-fulls, and I would replace the sauce with butter. However, I eat only 1 or 2 times a day.

(Todd Allen) #104

I take a morning bath using only the cold tap, which currently is about 65F. It used to be awful, but now it is only unpleasant for a moment and then I rapidly warm up. And when I get out I feel great. My tolerance for fasting is now greatly improved despite have dropped from about 45% bodyfat to 15% bodyfat.

(Sondra Rose) #105

There is plenty of offal available in the US. You just have to know where to look!

We have lived in Port Townsend, WA, Santa Fe, NM, Boise, ID and Tucson, AZ.

We have found offal readily available in all of these places. Farmers Markets and Food Coops are the best bet, but we have also found offal at Whole Foods, Asian and Mexican Grocery stores and ordinary supermarkets.

This include liver, kidneys, and heart. And of course, sausages are great options, if you can find ones without carby fillers.

Other offal is available online. US Wellness Meats have a great liverwurst, for example. Also, www.eatwild.com is a great resource for farmers and ranchers who sell direct.

(KCKO, KCFO) #106

I was thinking more about going to a restaurant and being able to order many dishes of offal.

There are ethnic grocers who do carry it around here, but my normal grocery no longer stocks pork or beef liver.But it does carry all beef hot dogs and Costco carries the ones I like made from Bison.

I’m in Denver area so the Latin/Asian markets would have some offal. I can go to a specialty cheese shop in the next county over and good goose, duck and pork mousses made with liver. It also carries some nice salami that is much better than Hormel stuff.

The Localvore movement has made some offal more obtainable by creating a market for it. But many places in the US would not carry much of any offal products. You have to look hard and be willing to cook it all yourself in most locales.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #107

Time was (not all that long ago, either) you could get tripe, kidneys, heart, liver, oxtail, and pigs’ knuckles at any supermarket. I’m going to suggest to my local Stop ‘n’ Shop and Big Y that they might want to start thinking about catering for the LCHF market, as it is going to be the next big thing.

(Sondra Rose) #108

Gotcha! Well fortunately offal is IN now and many of the newer restaurants are offering it. It can be pricy, though.

Here’s a conversation on Yelp that may be helpful, even though it dates back to 2013:

https://www.yelp.com/topic/denver-best-offal-restaurants

Denver should be easy, with so many restaurants. The challenge being to make the meal Keto-friendly, of course! Ethnic restaurants will be the cheapest option.

Polish: sausages
Vietnamese: Pho
Mexica: Menudo, Tripas

(KCKO, KCFO) #109

Where I grew up the local grocery store had big jars of pickled pig’s feet. I also had chicken feet readily available as my Aunty did a chicken every Sunday and all the offal and feet were used in something. She was doing nose to tail before it was a thing obviously. And I always loved heart, chicken and beef. She even served me eggs scrambled with pig brains once. It was the only dish I never asked for again, something about the texture just did not appeal to me. I am pretty famous for eating just about anything that doesn’t bite me first. :wink:

@brownfat Wait. Let me get this straight. You take cold baths and it helps you fast longer? If that’s true, I may give it a shot.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #111

@marklifestyle I will have a look on that link and educate myself, meanwhile I can’t really get that pee stick as well over here, I would need to wait until I’m in the UK next month to start monitoring. Problem is I’m so discouraged at the moment as I’ve gained weight and I’m quite stalled. I’m not really sure if I’m in ketosis or not, but I felt sick in my first week but it’s gone now.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #112

@KBG well I would need to listen to by body now, since I can’t purchase anything from where I am anyways. I like that idea of knowing I’m in ketosis by how far I can go for intermittent fasting. I actually don’t feel hungry almost all day; today I didn’t eat for 8 hours no breakfast and just had coffee with unsweetened cream in the morning. Not sure if that’s ok with keto or not. But I’m a bit discouraged Khara I stopped loosing weight, so did my mum, I’m afraid will gain not loose.

@Saphire I think I will most probably go for ketosis, but I searched everywhere for it here, and the reaction of the pharmacists was priceless (as if I’m an alien) LOL :joy: so I will just wait until I’m in the uk and life will be easier

@ggv I actually believe that your speculation makes sense to me. I will keep trying different things, but I need to start dropping weight fast, because that’s not happening at the moment

@MelTar I have eaten double the amount in the photo anyway lol :joy: I ate the same lamb chops today as well and when I logged in on th app it said I’ve had 87g of Protien and that is above my macros, not sure if that is right or wrong

@brownfat well your name itself agrees with the cold trick everyone is talking about, I’m not sure if I can do that cold shower but I will try it. That’s great results you have reached with your body fat. I hope I can reach there anytime soon :pray:

@SondraRose you eat offals???
I’m surprised to be honest I thought only middle eastern eat that :see_no_evil: I do eat that stuff of course and was wondering if any non middle eastern saw me eating it, will probably get disgusted :joy:
So nice you eat that stuff, do you know the proper name used for the intestines (the one used to make sausages) but from a cow ??

@collaroygal since you can eat pork mousses, do you think duck fois gras is allowed with keto?
I love eating it with hard toast, but I can do without the carbs
As for the brain you are talking about, we eat brains here as well but cow not pork, I haven’t tried the pork yet. But we eat it breaded and fried like nuggets, it’s absolutely yummy.

(KCKO, KCFO) #113

I eat fois gras every chance I get, which is pretty often. I like it on romaine lettuce leaves. I also use a Wasa cracker that is 1 carb per serve to it on. So worth it and if you have a carb it is best to have it with lots of fat, so fois gras fits the bill.

Oh and I would not eat cow brains either, source of mad cow disease. Not sure if that problem got resolved or not, so not going to take the chance of getting it if it is still around. There are other parts of beef that interest me, Rocky Mountain Oysters are beef testicles, they are deep fried and are delicious too, I’d take those over brain any time.