KETO may work

But, I am a failure.

(traci simpson) #2

First of all, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE! WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY THAT? what’s happening with you? We need more details. Either way, you are not a failure. YOU ARE BEAUTIFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE.

(Failed) #3

From one carb addict to another: you are not a failure. I am nearly 70 and have a lot of experience with carb addiction and trying to successfully kick it. What I’ve learned is that carb cravings (for me, I’m not speaking for anyone else) are the result of every single cell in my body crying out for food. Carb cravings (again, speaking only for myself) cannot be ignored any more than you can hold your breath for 30 mins just because you have decided to. It feels like it’s a matter of life or death. You should not feel like a failure for responding to that.

This time my journey to keto started accidentally. After being an uncontrolled T2 diabetic for over 40 years and having carbed myself into retinopathy and neuropathy and with glucse readings in the 400s, I was looking for SOMETHING to help me. The medical community is not an option for me for many varied and horrific experiences, but that’s a whole other story.

While researching, I stumbled across an article about inositol helping with insulin sensitivity and it seemed to be fairly innocuous even at large doses. I also read that choline bitartrate at a 40:1 inositol:choline ratio was a good choice to pair it with. So I ordered them both in powder form from Amazon. After a few days of at least 3 doses a day, I noticed I was eating fewer and fewer carbs, because I simply didn’t want them and the strawberry cheesecake Jelly Bellies I’d been snacking on many times a day just didn’t taste good any more.

In under a week, I was low carb, but hadn’t yet read about LCHF. In another serendipitous chance, I learned about Dr Fung on a post on a knitting community forum I belong to, ravelry.com I read both his diabetes book and his fasting book. I then decided to try a 36 hour fast that turned into a 7 day (minus 4 hours) fast. With inositol and choline several times throughout the day, it was totally easy. I had mild carb cravings (cells calling for help) a few times, but a dose of inositol and choline took care of them within minutes.

I’m not saying everyone should try inositol and choline, just offering my years of experience of feeling like a failure when I know now it’s not and never was a personal failure, any more than not being able to hold my breath for 30 mins is.

Love yourself, warts and all, because you are the only you there is and you are priceless!:heart:

(Jeanne Wagner) #4

You’re only a failure if you give up. Keep trying, do what you can do. Strive for progress, no matter how little. Success is failing and trying again, and again and again… I too struggle and fail, but I keep trying. These forums are great support, and there’s a number of books and podcasts which can help. I know I feel strong in mind and will when I arm myself with information and knowledge, and that’s where the books and podcasts come in. 2 Keto Dudes of course is awesome, and another one I really like is Low Carb MD podcast. Two functional/keto doctors run that podcast and once in a while Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos come on to talk. It’s really great. There are so many others too, but currently these two are my favorites. :smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Maybe so maybe not. I think we need just a bit more info to determine which. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #6

@Just_Todd

Your information on you says you have lost 68 pounds and that you started Keto July 2017, so you obviously were doing it right then, and have fallen off the wagon since, and just need to get back on!!

You did it before, and you can do it again. You know that it worked and you lost 68 pounds doing it, so you just need to get back on track.

You are not a failure, you are a Human that needs to get yourself back in gear, have NO sugar, 20 grams or less of carbs a day, adequate proteins and healthy fats, lots of water and electrolytes, and get back on the Keto train to success! You can do this!!