Keto kids

(mykittashi) #1

Has anyone “converted” their kids who are old enough to have deep attachment to carbs? My 9 year old is interested so long as he doesn’t have to give up bread! My 7 year old couldn’t be less interested. How can I talk about the health benefits in a way that won’t be scary? (First time creating a thread on the Forum, hope it works!!)

(dawn.hakala) #2

This is just my asshole attitude here, but if you don’t buy it… Guess they won’t have it :grin: Make homemade bread… The Keto LC way… Soul bread is good… There are several out there… The min muffins are the bomb…

(mykittashi) #3

True! Been trying to get my husband to stop buying that junk, but no success. Also, they don’t live in a bubble and will get the carby stuff at school or when out in the community. Maybe I just have to let them get there on their own, I just don’t want them to develop IR.

(dawn.hakala) #4

Ohh… so you’re on this journey alone in the house… Gotcha… Yeah… That’s that much harder… :frowning: Worry about you and try to guide them all with the proof… You are their proof…

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #5

I can’t give any advice as we only have one child, and she’s 18 months old so she doesn’t get a say right now. We keep her very low carb, with only occasional sugar via unsweetened apple sauce, berries, and the occasional snack. No juices, no cereals, no candies.

My hope is that she never develops that overly stimulated palate, let alone the insulin resistance and obesity both her dad and grandmother suffered from starting early in life.

(matt ) #6

Soul bread is good but not good for you if you are T2D or IR. The recipe has whey protein which can spike insulin. That can also stall weight loss so keep that in mind even if you are not T2D or IR.

Just in case you are not aware. I was not until I was told this on the 2KD FB site.

(mykittashi) #7

I wish you the best on keeping her low carb. My kids went off the rails with processed junk once they went to daycare (had nannies til the youngest was 1, but then it got too expensive).

I am trying to plan on attending Keto Fest, possibly with my kids, so maybe that will help. @carl could you add a speaker, if not already planned, to talk about making low carb cool for school age kids?

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #8

@mykittashi you’re so right about daycare. Most just load up those kids with carbage. I’m wildly blessed that my wife can, and wanted to, be a stay-at-home mother. Makes keeping the kids LC a lot easier.

(AnnaLeeThal) #9

I am trying to just lead by example, and work towards educating my 10 year old daughter. We talk a lot about food and why I eat the way I do. She told me yesterday “I want to do Keto, but only when I’m at your house”. I know that she knows sugar is addicting and doesn’t make her feel good, as she has told me different observations about effects she has felt. She also tells me about how eggs and bacon fill her up and help her have energy. Having lots of conversations really helps to plant those little seeds of information.

One thing I feel is very important is to raise her with a healthy attitude and relationship with food. She gets to choose what she eats and how much of it. I involve her in meal planning, and I try to get her to help me meal prep but that part has not been too successful.

I feel she has a healthy metabolism at this point, so she can tolerate carbs pretty well, but with her becoming more serious about gymnastics I want to help her find the best WOE for her needs.

(Lauren) #10

Our kids eat what we eat… Till they go to their mums place
They like bacon, so easy enough to get their veggies in & they don’t ask for bread anymore at home but might have something if we eat out - we were paleo for a few years before Keto though

(dawn.hakala) #11

I didn’t know that… My apologies… I haven’t made it in a long time… Been making minute muffins or flax muffins when I want “bread” stuff…

(thefeatherdustersllc) #12

Good for you!!

(mykittashi) #13

So, the funny thing is that my kids love cooking with me, but then a crap-shoot whether they will eat it. My older one will at least try a taste, but the younger one is super picky and seems to get put-off if the texture or smell isn’t familiar. But, it is clear nothing will change if there are people in the house enabling/encouraging the old ways of eating. [quote=“AnnaLeeMI, post:9, topic:1206, full:true”]
I am trying to just lead by example, and work towards educating my 10 year old daughter. We talk a lot about food and why I eat the way I do. She told me yesterday “I want to do Keto, but only when I’m at your house”. I know that she knows sugar is addicting and doesn’t make her feel good, as she has told me different observations about effects she has felt. She also tells me about how eggs and bacon fill her up and help her have energy. Having lots of conversations really helps to plant those little seeds of information.

One thing I feel is very important is to raise her with a healthy attitude and relationship with food. She gets to choose what she eats and how much of it. I involve her in meal planning, and I try to get her to help me meal prep but that part has not been too successful.

I feel she has a healthy metabolism at this point, so she can tolerate carbs pretty well, but with her becoming more serious about gymnastics I want to help her find the best WOE for her needs.
[/quote]

(Apryl Garcia) #14

I have two Keto Kids 10 and 11. They have been keto for almost 5 months now. They are doing very well, although my son (10) complains about not getting carbage sometimes. But he is a whiner by nature and always has to have something to complain about.

(anon) #15

This is my struggle. The kids eat my keto meals but I worry that they’re hurting their metabolisms from eating carbs. Plus I tried to have my son on a paleo diet a few years ago and he refused to follow it for the 2 weekend visits he had with him, despite the plethora of information I provided him.

(Emilie) #16

Way to go! I’m working on transitioning my family. What are you favorite kid friendly on the go keto snacks? We do a lot of nuts and bacon. Unfortunately my kids are big on cheese. Thanks for the tips!

(Apryl Garcia) #17

Nuts are big with us, too. Also string cheese, roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, and (gasp!) Vienna sausages. These are all easily transportable and not terribly messy.

(Sarah Barnbrook) #18

We are working on swapping all of our family meals over to Keto. We still have some things in the house that they are eating up (like baked beans, pasta, crackers, etc). I’m on the look out for great kids lunch ideas and we try to make treat recipes that are adapted (like we made keto lemon blueberry muffins which we also made into pancakes.) I’m trying to find things we can put easily in a lunch box.

I have three children 9, 7, nearly 5. Both 9 and 7 don’t eat much lunch at school, due to medication, but the 5 year old eats heaps. Lucky for me, the 5 year old loves veggies (cucumbers, broccoli, celery, carrots). She’ll be the easy one.

Bread is the biggest hurdle for my 9 year old son who LOVES vegemite, nearly as much as his dad. We are looking for options to make for him, that he’d actually eat. Some of the recipes are too eggy and he isn’t buying it lol

(Emilie) #19

Vienna Sausages, great idea. Thanks!!!

(Beth) #20

Any advice for the mother of two teenage boys who sometimes can be picky and in general one of them lives one rice?