Keto is a nightmare! ..unless

science
food

(Eric) #1

I would like to share my experience on the ketogenetic diet. After going through this I would not recommend this diet for most people but hopefully my experience will help you.

I began the diet on Jan 1st as a way to lose weight without having to track calories. I dramatically cut my carb intake. My diet consisted of tons of eggs, “keto” pancakes, peanut butter, lots of cheeses, deli meats, chicken / beef and almost daily dry wine (Pinot Noir)

After initially losing ~5 lbs I began to not only stop losing weight but started gaining it back and by the end of the first month I had only lost a net total of 2 lbs. During most of the process I felt like absolute garbage, I was literally having to force myself from falling asleep at my desk mid-day at work. The only reason I didn’t stop the diet is because I had purchased a blood ketones meter /w 50 strips. Below I graphed my readings every day along with my weight.

Starting on 2/7 I made significant changes to my diet and began eating much more of a ‘clean keto’. Wine was cut-out almost entirely during the week, Keto pancakes /w zero sugar maple syrup was cut-out, diary was cut down drastically, fatty meats were replaced with leaner cuts and vegetables were added including cruciferous.

The changes in my diet were significant so I cannot say definitively which change had the most impact. My suspicion is the wine had the largest impact as it was hindering my bodies ability to produce ketones because the liver prioritizes alcohol. (Drank late at night and ketones tested in the morning)

Once the diet was dialed in my weight loss picked back up at a much faster rate and my energy levels were phenomenal.

The chart below shows my Ketone levels (bar) and weight (line). My new diet started on ~2/7.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

So keto is not magic. Who knew? Whatever you did in January, you still lost some weight. It’s the trend over time that matters, not day to day ups/downs. Keto is a metabolic normalization process, not a miracle diet. Weight normalization is a byproduct. You’re doing better in February so far. Keep it up. Best wishes.

(Bunny) #3

(Sheri Knauer) #4

Glad you discovered what works better for you. Everyone is different so the key is to figure out what your body responds to best. It’s good that you figured out what you were doing at first was not the best for you, made some changes, then started seeing better results and feeling better.

I suspect it’s the dairy. It’s easy to overdo the dairy, it’s the one thing I have to limit. My guess is that you will progress for a while and then hit a stall that will only move with more fat consumption. Wine, cheese and peanuts together, when consumed regularly, would also not work for me. Just stick with what you are doing until you hit a long stall. You’ve only just begun and it will take some time to see all the benefits…

(Pete A) #6

Yes one ought to figure out what works best for them. Nice job! Glad to hear you cut out what (for me) is some of that crap! :slight_smile:

Many of us realize keto isn’t magic alone, we need to finetune… Or to do something more drastic, I replaced vegetables and nuts with meat at some point and I had the greatest changes ever, even high-carb -> low-carb or fat adaptation (or whatever happened after 7 weeks on keto) can’t compare and those were big too. But I needed my old keto first, not everyone can do drastic changes right away.

It’s good you found a better style of keto this soon, keep it up! :slight_smile:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

I am currently in such denial with this for myself right now lol. I am all about that cheese and light cream life. I may have to bite the bullet, just to change things up a bit. But boooooooooooo.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #9

I’m not going to say that dairy might not be causing some of you problems. In fact, my GF has been suspecting the same thing.
But as for myself, I eat a rediculous amount of dairy everyday… Butter, heavy cream, all kinds of cheeses, etc, and yet I easily lost 45 lbs in about 10 weeks. That was about 9 months ago, and my weight has never been so rock solid (with absolutely zero effort) in my life !
In fact, I just weighed myself this morning, and was down a couple lbs ! Not even trying / wanting to lose anymore weight. If I were to lose any more weight, I’d be wondering how to bump it back up a few lbs.
And this coming from a guy who has either been overweight, OR fighting it, his whole life !

For myself, Keto has been magic. Beyond easy. And I freaking love dairy ! And beef. And artificial sweeteners. And fake bread. And food in general :blush:

I eat all I want too, which is a LOT, and still I don’t gain weight ! Unbelievable. Why didn’t I start this 30 years ago !