Keto Horse Remount Plan

weightloss
exercise

OK, so lately i haven’t been adhering to the KETO lifestyle as strictly as i could.

First some context- how I got here. Male, 31 years of age and 215 lbs on March 1,2017. Went on keto for the third time and this time i stuck to it. Fast forward, April 29, 2017 and i lost ~15 lbs and my body weight is hovering at 200-202 lbs. I signed up for a couple 5 k runs in May spread out every 2 weeks and i basically ate more carbs the day before the runs and justified the extra carbs as a requirement for improved race performance.Anyways, after the races (had 2, have one left) i didn’t immediately go back to low carb, high fat, moderate protein. I ate more carbs, around 100 gms/day and the weight wasn’t changing all that much so i decided to continue doing what i was doing. It’s been almost 20 days, and I can feel the weight coming back on even though the scale still shows 202. I have started lifting weights; nothing serious, just 5x5 stronglifts with dumbellls and some bodyweight workout to supplement the running (details below). Feeling good, but i still have 15 lbs to lose. Made my first goal of 200, now on to Act 2 for next 10.

Here’s the plan:

Diet- 70%fat, 5%carb, 25%protein…might have a little more protein/carb right before resistance workouts. total of 1800 Net Calories per day. Tracking with MyFitnessPal

Foods allowed- Avocados, MCT oil, Grass fed butter, cheese, beef, chicken, salmon, sardines, spinach, mixed greens, onions and peppers (limited), and herbs/spices. Keto cheat meal every week- 1000 calories with 30 additional gms of carbs to keep metabolism revved up.

Exercise- Run 3 days a week with varying pace. (1 5k time trial, one slow walk/run, and one 1/2 mile interval repeats- distance for all runs is around 5k)

5x5 Stronglift training + Supplemental movements- 2 workouts alternating on non-run days

Workout A: Squats, bench press, back rows, pushups, triceps extensions, bicep curls
Workout B: Squats, shoulder press, deadlifts, shoulder press, pullups, lunges, calf raises

Ok, so what do you guys think? Any concerns/questions/suggestions. I’m open to advice.

Thanks and KCKO!

You want to lose weight by ketosis, by eating low calorie, non-ketogenic meals? I don’t get it. Please explain hypothesis.

(David) #3

One thing I would suggest is not to set weight loss goals.

You can control what you do, but not what you weigh, so maybe set goals only for what you are going to do.

Good luck. :smile:

Thanks Chance. That makes sense. Control what you can do and forget the rest. i guess that’s how i inadvertently reached my first goal of 10 lbs by just focusing on keto and then used the fact that i reached my ‘goal’ weight to get off track.

well it would be keto for most of the week with the exception of one day where i would up the carbs for from 20gms to 50gms. I think people call this CKD (Cyclical ketogenic diet)

(James storie) #6

The problem with cycling is this:
If you aren’t truly fat adapted the one cheat meal could set you back for most of the following week! There are studies, not sure where, but I’ve heard of them that state that it took 3-4 days to get back into a state of ketosis after a “cycle”. There is a proven way to keto, 20 grams carbs max a day, moderate protein, and fat to setiaty. In other words fill up on fat. Low calorie is not the way to go. I hope you have success, but I think you are grossly over thinking this.

Congrats on achieving your goal of <200!

Your plan looks awesome! You will be in beast mode!

I like the weekly higher energy day planned right into your schedule! I do that on an ad-hoc basis and it messes me up sometimes. I will steal your idea.

Phinney and Volek consider that 50g of carbs will have most anyone in ketosis, and perhaps athletes can have up to 150g per day. I, personally, have experimented and agree with that. The potential problem is that cravings may creep in over, say, 20g.

If the calf raises are light and are therapeutic stretches that is good, otherwise you may overtrain them with your runs.

Your protein is something to consider and monitor. You do not want it too high, either. Your diet looks sound for carbs.

I think you described my issue perfectly- i’ve noticed that when i have 50-60 gms of net carbs/day on heavy workout/run days, my cravings go up considerably. It definitely is a balancing act.

I have gone upwards of 120gms and haven’t been kicked out of keto. It’s okay if its once in a while but like you mentioned, the cravings can be quite strong. I consider these days with higher carbs ‘feast’ days and tend to want to fast or reduce my calorie intake and workout a little more the next day.

Thanks for the feedback

thanks for the feedback. Definitely should think about keeping it simple, and you may be right, low calorie may not be the way to go, but it has shown results for me.

What are your lifts currently at? The supplemental stuff shouldn’t be necessary if you’re hitting 5x5 hard enough. How long a gym session are you planning on?

I took a dip when i first got into keto but i’m currently at about 180bs for squats, 140lbs for bench, 240+ for deadlifts.

i cut out the calf raises and dips as they’re not necessary, but i did add in push ups and crunches just as a warm up. 3*10 for each.

If it were me I’d nix the lunges too. After hitting squats and deads on the same day, you’re not going to be able to go heavy enough on lunges to mean anything, and anything light will just cut in to recovery from the main lifts, especially with all the running you’re doing as well.