Keto Head-neck-shoulder-clavicle pains....ouchy. Help!

newbies

Greetings friends…5 months newbie. 79 yrs young. into keto 1 to 1.9, mostly mojo reports around 1.6. Diet: Eggatarian (veg + 6 eggs/ D). Doing IF (16 - 18). no interest in weight loss. Thin to start, and now lost subcutaneous fat, flabby skin. like the feeling and energy, may be losing muscle mass. Any other antiquketos out there? 79 too young to start? haha.
However,…the piercing pains from clavicle up neck to head pain is a real big drag on keto enjoyment. WTW? What the what causes this? Is it electrolytes? Just pink Himalayan salt? Have to buy special keto electrolytes? If so how much how often?
Not enough fats? Too much fat? Have to get MCT OIL?
Please help…i want to continue with keto, but these headaches are a bitch. Kindly help

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Center =) --79 is not too young/old to start at all —I feel that you will be prolonging your life and feel a lot healthier for switching to Keto =-). I think that you are correct when you were thinking that it might be electrolytes.

There is this recipe for Ketoaide that you can make yourself. I don’t personally like the taste of the salted water so I bought the Pink Himalayan Salt in the little rock form and swallow a palm full of them and I take Magesium Citrate tablets, some people also like to use some Low Salt with those things.

I would also make sure that you are drinking enough water --you don’t have to drink tons and tons but I try to get at least about 64 ounces a day (I have a cup that holds 32 ounces so I make sure to drink that filled at least twice a day, although personally I normally drink more because I love water).

Best wishes on your Keto journey and wellness =).

(Brandy) #3

Welcome to the forums. I experience the exact same pain when I’m not well hydrated. Like there’s a pinch somewhere- so painful. I try to prevent it by staying well hydrated but if I’m honest, it happens a lot. A pinch of sea salt on the tongue, followed by a couple of big glasses of water makes that pain magically disappear (In less than five minutes) and continued water throughout the rest of the day ensures proper hydration. I feel like I read somewhere, or maybe my chiropractor told me, that neck and shoulder pain occur with dehydration due to a build up of lactic acid. Give it a shot and see if it works.

Try doing some simple arm exercises. Just lift them up slowly in front of you, as far as you can, and lower them again. Then do them on your sides. If you just do a minute or two a few times a day, you will start to strengthen the muscles around your neck, shoulders and clavicle. After a few days of this, you should feel a difference. If it works for you, slowly progress to hand weights. It will strengthen that whole upper body and arm musculature. Sometimes years of bad posture will catch up with us old fogies, but it can be fixed very easily, at home, at our leisure. I also use an electrolyte concentrate, a few drops a day in water or coffee or whatever turns you on, it is one of the things I use daily. I source it at amazon, it seems expensive but that small bottle lasts a long time.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

What makes you suspect it has anything to do with keto? I’m 74 going on 75 too soon. I have several painful issues that are exacerbated by how I position myself while sleeping. One of them is neck and shoulder pain and stiffness upon awaking, which can last all day when severe enough. Another is lower back pain caused by a degenerated disc. Neither of these has anything to do with keto.

(Ron) #6

Consider upping your protein consumption. At our age it takes more to keep the muscle mass from reducing. I was in the same situation with pains until I adjusted my fat and protein intake. Pains diminished gradually and after a while I stopped noticing any.

Hello,
A slightly different version of keto aid helped me resolve my electrolyte imbalances, which led to my experiencing muscle aches, fatigue, & insomnia . It is also possible your clavicle / neck pain is due to misalignment, I always check in with my trusted chiropractor when I have an ongoing neck issue. Hopefully it is not a subluxation and a balancing of your electrolytes will help you feel better. Here’s what worked for me:
1/4 teaspoon no salt ( potassium)
1 teaspoon magnesium citrate ( found in laxative section pharmacy , looks like a mini soda bottle.)
I add this to a large glass of hibiscus herbal tea ( Tazo passion ice tea)
sweetened with stevia. I have a glass of this keto aid once or twice a day & it helps me feel better typically within 10 minutes.
Do not overdo the magnesium citrate, in larger doses , it will act as a laxative. Good luck with your journey!