Keto haters - what to say to them?

How about like 200,000 years?!

(Troy Anthony) #42

All great insights. Iā€™d also say to listen to whoever is hating on you. Try your best to not fall into some tribal trap where you feel the need to protect your WOE at all costs, which is most likely what you will see from them if you pay attention. If they are open minded you might have a great conversation and both be better off because of it. Unfortunately people tend to feel the need to self validate at all costs, including logic, and are more interested in conversion then rational conversation. This happens on all sides and I think we could all learn and take small pieces from otherā€™s experiences if we take ego out and argue from a place of rationality rather than a place of insecurity and self validation.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

Iā€™ll see your 200,000 years and raise you 2 million, lol!

(Alec) #44

It was definitely cheesemakers. And I am a cheesemaker. I just feel blessed!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Soā€”apart from the weight loss, the higher HDL, the lower triglycerides, the reversal of Type II diabetes, the improvement of arterial plaque, the removal of fatty liver disease, the lowering of glucose and improvement of insulin response, the reduction of blood pressure, and the reduction of inflammation and autoimmune issues, what has keto ever done for us? :smile: :grinning:

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #46

Itā€™s largely a non-issue for me. I canā€™t say Iā€™ve run into any haters thus far. My mom was saying some stuff about cholesterol and heart disease a while back, but I just told her ā€œHey, it turns out none of thatā€™s true!ā€ and left it at that. I could have gone deeper, but convincing her that thereā€™s no verified scientific link between high cholesterol and heart disease seemed a bridge too far.

(Kaiden) #47

It provides an alternative fuel for the brain.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

All right: so, apart from the alternative fuel for the brain, the weight loss, the higher HDL, . . . :grinning: :bacon:

(Linda) #49

Friends and random strangers unsolicited wrong headed advice are one thing. Having to do an end run around your doctors is even worse.

Hereā€™s a youtube vid from a doctor telling you how to avoid stepping on the delicate feelings of your physicians about keto. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCvKj-4MAvs

I donā€™t think he even realized how awful this sounds to lay people just trying to get healthier and feel better to hear a doctor telling them how to get around their personal doctors to do it.

Iā€™m down 50 pounds and have reversed my T2 diabetes.

Tell people youā€™ve never been one to argue with your own success. :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #50

Yep. I tell people I have cut refined sugar, refined flour, and vegetable oils, and opted for whole unprocessed foods, like meats, eggs, cheeses, nuts, berries, and greens.

No one has a problem with that.

(Alec) #51

This could be going for a fairly long time!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #52

ROTFLMAO! :grinning:

(Kirk) #53

I get some odd questions from some of my 250 plus pound firefighter collegues about not eating the crap they scarf down. I tell them ā€œIā€™m not half the man you are. No, literally, I weigh 168, Iā€™m not half the man you are.ā€

(Kirk) #54

Kaiden, love the Monty Python reference. Life Of Brian is one of my favorites. Iā€™ve had a couple minor head injuries over the years that have had some permanent affect, as well as taking 300 volts DC through the cheek once, which did me no good at all. The nurses I used to work with tell me Iā€™m ā€˜on the spectrumā€™. Frankly, I consider it a gift. Mild ADHD has given me complete focus and drive on things I choose to do.

(Cathy) #55

I donā€™t talk about it anymore. The way people eat is one of the most personal things there are and I prefer to be left alone with my choices and give others the same respect. If I am questioned about it, I change the subject.

(Ernest) #56

Why waste your time and energy responding to them?

(Sophie) #57

Seriously girl-crushing here, especially about the extraneous bullshit! :+1::smile:

(Ernest) #58

One thing you have to realize is that people are out there just looking for a fight.
Itā€™s probably not even about keto, they just found a chance to get into a fight.
Walk away from these folks.

I love it when people engage, whether curious or critical. And if unreasonable, I then have license to riff:

• Keto works better than tapeworms
  • Keto keeps my psychosis from flaring up
  • Thatā€™s the best part about it (standard response to whatever they say is bad about Keto)
  • David Duke eats Keto and heā€™s pretty lean
  • I eat Keto because Iā€™m into getting verbal abuse (then, when they respond, say) Ooooh, say that again.
  • My goal is not to get healthy, itā€™s to get as far away from being a vegan as possible
  • Keto increases global warming (then riff on why thats a good thing) etc.

Itā€™s funny how these kinds of responses break people out of their patterns, and put the dialog back on a more constructive path. Man I better not try to lecture this guy, heā€™s a lunatic.

(Ernest) #60

You have the time and patience, BRAVO!
I donā€™t have the patience.
That Vegan point, Iā€™ll steal that one HAHAHAHAHA!!!