Keto Flour Tortillas

This recipe was inspired by a recipe for grain-free & gluten-free tortillas from Paola at gnom-gnom.com. However, her recipe includes coconut flour, and I did not like the taste of coconut flour in tortillas; so a few changes were necessary.

Makes approximately 8 tortillas (6-inch diameter)

Ingredients

• 1 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 cup whey protein
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (plus a little more to oil the pan)
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 large egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
  • 1 Tablespoon water

Equipment
food processor, plastic cling wrap, parchment paper, rolling pin, non-stick pan/griddle, clean kitchen towel/tea towel (or an inverted plate)

Preparation

1. Combine almond flour, whey protein, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse-mix several seconds to blend.

2. Dissolve xanthan gum in vegetable oil in a small bowl or cup, mixing well. Pour the xanthan gum-oil mixture over the dry ingredients in the bowl of the food processor (try to distribute it evenly).

3. Have the vinegar, egg, and water all ready to go into the mixture in quick succession in the following 3 steps:

4. With the processor running, drizzle vinegar into the mixture.

5. Then add the egg. The dough may already be starting to seize up and pull away from the walls of the food processor bowl, so don’t hesitate between this step and the next one.

6. Then add the water.

7. Turn off the food processor as soon as the dough forms a ball.

8. Dough will be sticky. Wrap the dough ball in plastic cling wrap. Knead the dough in the cling wrap for 1 - 2 minutes or so.

9. Allow the dough to rest for 10 - 20 minutes.

10. Oil one side of each of two sheets of parchment paper. When the dough has rested, oil your fingers to make handling it easier, since it will be sticky. Divide the dough into 8 balls.

11. Heat pan on medium until water beads dance for several seconds before evaporating. (If they evaporate immediately, the pan is too hot.) I use a non-stick pan and also lightly oil the surface between each tortilla (apply a little oil to a folded-up paper towel then wipe the pan surface with it, being careful not to get burned!).

12. Roll out the first dough ball into a tortilla between the parchment sheets.

13. Cook the tortilla for approximately 15 - 30 seconds (the edges will start to look partly cooked). Flip and cook the other side for another 60 seconds or so. (Actual times will depend on how hot your pan is.) If necessary, flip back to cook the first side a little more (usually not necessary).

14. Cover the finished tortilla with a clean kitchen towel on a plate until all the tortillas are done. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.

I’m sure a tortilla press, if available, could also be used instead of a rolling pin.

One of the great things about this recipe is that the dough doesn’t tear while transferring it from the work surface to the pan and while flipping it in the pan, and the finished tortillas are nice and pliable.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Any nutrition information on this, carb count per tortilla, etc?

Based on data from Nutritionix.com
I wouldn’t necessarily use the selected brands of ingredients listed below in the future–this is just what I had on hand. (Several of them are too expensive, but since I am new to this, I just grabbed what I saw at the first store I went to.)

for 8 tortillas:
100 grams Nature’s Eats blanched almond flour
28 grams Tera’s Organic Grass-Fed whey protein
2 grams Argo baking powder
1 gram Morton’s iodized table salt
5 grams Bob’s Red Mill xanthan gum
6 grams apple cider vinegar
1 large egg Walmart Great Value
14 grams Publix peanut oil

single tortilla nutrition

calories 115
net carbs 1.3 grams

total fat 8.5 grams
protein 5.9 grams
sodium 85 milligams

total carbs 3.6 grams, dietary fiber 2.3 grams, saturated fat 1.0 grams

(Note: I forgot to include the instruction to add the xanthan gum-oil mixture into the dry ingredients in the original post. Edited to fix that lapse.)

The first keto tortilla recipe I had tried was a crepe-like recipe that consisted of lots of egg whites with some coconut flour and spices. It was hard to figure out just how hot the pan should be, how much of the batter should be poured for each, and when to flip them. And they would either get stuck in the pan and burn, or would tear as I was trying to remove them from the pan or to handle them afterward. I just gave up after a few tried because I wasn’t a big fan of the smell or the taste anyway (might have been more tolerable if I’d used almond flour instead of the coconut flour, though).

The recipe offered in this thread isn’t perfect (not as good as traditional corn tortillas or wheat flour tortillas, in my opinion), but as a keto-friendlier alternative, it works for me.

Looking forward to variations …

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #5

Thanks for sharing the info!