Keto disaster preparedness

(BuckRimfire) #1

I’ve gone from going to the grocery store every two days to every five days. Still not great.

My earthquake preparedness food stash is a bunch of dried beans and rice in a basement cupboard and a camping stove that can run on gasoline siphoned out of the car (still need to get a locking gas cap for that car!). That’s from a few years ago, pre-low-carb. Obviously, I’d eat that in an emergency, but…

Other than big metal cans of olive oil, what non-perishable low carb foods can you think of? My mind is a blank.

What about peanut butter, tuna, pickled eggs, jerky, sardines, nuts, ghee? Keep those on hand, eat from your stores goods and buy before you run out to assure freshness.

Christina

(Susan) #3

We have been discussing this topic already for a while on this thread, you might find it helpful =).

(BuckRimfire) #4

If When the corona virus gets going in my area…

Fixed that for you. I just listened to a podcast (The Drive with Peter Attia) he recorded a day or two ago with another MD. Guest pointed out that the “flu-like illness reporting system” that operates all the time in the US showed a spike in cases in late February in New York, when seasonal flu had already been declining for weeks. Undiagnosed cases of The Cov. It can be there and spreading before anyone is aware.

I’m not hopeful that people are going to be consistent enough about staying isolated to really contain this. I’ve been going to stores less, but not as little as would be ideal. Wearing a marginally effective mask and gloves, hand sanitizing before touching anything in my car, but far from perfect.

(BuckRimfire) #5

Tinned fish is a good idea, but my spousal critter doesn’t like it. I have a few cans of salmon and sardines for my indulgence. I always think of those as a treat, not a backup!

Dried Beef
Jerky - turkey, beef, etc.
Foil packets of tuna or salmon (small portions)
Beef/cheese sticks. Loaded with preservatives, but handy in a pinch.
Pickles
Olives
Peppers
PB
Canned vienna sausage
Spam (if you’re okay with mystery meat)
Anchovies
Sardines
Kippers
Canned chicken
Turkey or Beef bites (little mini dried sausages)
Shorty sausages
Canned broths/stocks
Nuts (for a limited time)
Butter powder (order online from Auguson Farms)
Just a few ideas…

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

In addition to the above, Meat keeps well frozen quite a long time.