Keto diet for 6 weeks

(Katie) #1

I have only lost 12lbs. Was hoping for more by now.
I have been IF for the last two weeks. This week I am only eating once a day, because I am just not hungry.

So, this brings me the my current dilemma, Eating just once a day has left me with a small stomach, and no real appetite. Looking at all the stuff recommended I eat each day…I just cannot do it. 2 eggs, bacon, salmon, large kale salad, small hand full of nuts, avocado, green shake, MCT oil, etc…etc. no way I can eat even 1/3 of that.

I tried to make Small portions, but I find I have food spoiling before I can finish it.

How are people managing this?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

First, 12lbs in 6 weeks isn’t bad.

What does a typical meal look like? Are you doing just the one meal and no snacks?

I’ve been keto for almost a year, and have been doing one meal for a long time. I don’t feel particularly hungry, but I do finish the meal. It’s a pretty generous meal too.

What led you to start IF two weeks ago? We’re you trying to make more progress on weight loss?

(Confused!) #3

I am the same.

5 weeks in and lost 17 pounds. Ketone level is around the 2 mark. Mostly having one meal a day unless I feel hungry.

Slightly frustrating as I don’t feel I have any control. Weight fluctuates and not consistent.

If you do a forum search on ‘appetite’ @Katiekate & @bailey22 you’ll find that many people struggle to eat enough early on (while they are adapting) but that the appetite generally normalises after a while. I shouldn’t worry about it for now - give it a little more time. You’re both losing weight so if that is your goal then it’s all good.

(mole person) #5

You don’t need to eat when you’re not hungry and you don’t need all of that up there either. Try getting rid of the MCT oil and the shake to start if you aren’t hungry for them. It will probably improve your losses too.

The MCT oil because we really don’t need to be eating extra exogenous fat when we are trying to lose body fat unless we are hungry.

The green shake because it’s essentially a proccessed food. Sticking to whole foods will improve your insulin profile.

(Carl Keller) #6

Hi Katie.

It may seem like your stomach has shrunk but there’s actually a hormone at play here that will try to convince us when we’ve eaten enough. Leptin is just doing its job and you shouldn’t worry about it. When we eat LCHF, many of us with large fat deposits will discover that our appetites have vanished. This is an opportunity for dynamic weight loss. Our bodies are perfectly content metabolizing body fat for energy so it takes less food to trigger our satiety signals.

This worried me too when it first happened. For about two months I was eating half of what I was used to eating but I felt great so I went with it. As I started getting closer to my goal weight my hunger hormones started waking up. I’m now in maintenance and I can assure you that my appetite is very hearty now. I can actually eat a lot more than when I was on the SAD but I continue to eat LCHF real food to satiety and my weight is stable. :slight_smile:

(Katie) #7

Ok. I am only worried about being malnourished A large green salad every day to get enough (4700 g) of potassium? If I ate that it would be the only thing I eat…then I wouldn’t get protein or fat.

Anyway, I hope this “normalizes”.

(Katie) #8

I accidentally started IF.

The rule on Atkins is if you are hungry … you are going it wrong.
I switched to Keto after the first week. After the second week, I noticed I wasn’t hungry till almost noon. Then, I stopped snacks in the afternoon, because the lunch was keeping me full. All along I have just eaten when I was hungry, but I was just not hungry. Some days I was eating because I just thought I really should. The. I read about OMAD. I was already for it. Except I now worry about malnutrition.

My meal looks like this…2 eggs fried in butter with goat cheese (Greek eggs), 2 strips of bacon for the fat, 4oz of salmon for the omega3 and potassium, small salad for the potassium …
But…I am actually stuffing myself to eat that much … not hungry about half way thru. Still need a few macadamia nuts. MCT oil is really good for me, but just cannot do it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Hi @Katiekate and @bailey22 , at the stage that you’re both at you’ve had some great results. I don’t know what your starting weights were but usually there’s a whoosh of water weight the first couple of weeks and that’s your fat cells releasing their glycogen and water that were stored in them since you’re both limiting carbohydrates. After that fats start to break down and it’s a slower process, 1-2 lbs a week is normal after the water loss. You didn’t get fat in a few weeks so it’s unreasonable to expect it to melt off like butter on a warm plate. :slightly_smiling_face:

On the fasting, I think it’s great that you both got into IF so fast, took me a bit longer for sure. I still was having snacks at your stage so that’s awesome too. I would suggest that OMAD isn’t for everyone. If you do two smaller meals in a 4-6 hour eating window it might suit you better, especially this early in the game and it’s still the 1st inning IMHO. I hope you’re both thinking of KETO not as a quick weight loss diet that you can easily drop when you get where you want to be weight wise. It’s lifestyle changes that make a difference and so you’re on a long winding road with ups and downs. This is a normal thing. You don’t want to loose weight too quickly, it will leave you with baggy skin.

I cannot do OMAD comfortably either because my stomach is small. TMAD is more efficient for me I discovered and my weight loss is going great, 205 to 162 in 9 months of just living right. KETO should be comfortable and relatively effortless.

Focus on how your clothes are fitting, wearing stuff from the back of your closet that you have been pushing aside is a great victory regardless of what a scale tells you. Remember it’s not necessarily weight you want to loose, it’s fat. You want normalized body proportions whatever that is for you. You’re skeletons and muscle mass can change with the proper foods you’re eating as fat shrinks and breaks down so weight loss won’t be linear because there’s body recomposition going on. I hope this puts your minds at ease, trust the process, keep eating well and you’ll reap the healing benefits of keto including reduced body inflammation and metabolic derangement and a healthy body composition because those should be the real goals. It’s much more complex than “loosing weight”. I wish you both great success and health for your KETO efforts.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #10

Are you sure about that amount? 4700g is 4.7kg, which is like 12lbs! Honestly, there are many sources of potassium, and if you are that worried, why not take a vitamin supplement?

If you are hungry (on keto), then eat. It’s not wrong that you are hungry, just easy more fatty foods.

(Katie) #11

Yeah sorry…that was mg.

The very biggest dose in potassium supplement is still only 250mg. I’d have to take 18 tablets a day!

350 mg in salmon 4 oz. leafy greens 100mg per cup.
See how much I have to eat to reach the minimum? And that is even before eggs, various fats (bacon, beef,).

I just hope my stomach decides at some point I should eat more

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

Where are you getting that number from?
I’m not even tracking it, or trying to hot a certain number.
Just eat and let it take care of itself :slightly_smiling_face:

(Katie) #13

The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends you aim for at least 4,700 milligrams of potassium each day in your diet. This may be more than you are used to, as national surveys show that Americans average only 2,640 milligrams of potassium in our diets each day.

(Katie) #14

Various other sources that discuss heart arrhythmia caused by low potassium…amount other things

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #15

You could just try eating what you want and not worry about hitting the potassium target. I certainly don’t try for it. If you feel you must have it because of health issues/symptoms then by all means do what you need. But I’m sure there are plenty of people here who don’t get that much.

You can also use Lite Salt, but be careful, since it contains potassium.