Keto cake

(less is more, more or less) #10

I’m with @MarkGossage. There are people here who frequently tweak me as being to “hardline,” but I see this differently. The proposition is that low-carb is healthier. I started low-carb to lose weight. However, I was fascinated as to why it works and have studied quite a bit on the whole matter. Among much of what I have learned, it turns out that sugar is a slow killer. Not too ironically, sugar impairs clear thinking.

I’m not low-carb to maintain my weight-loss. That a carb-rich cake is “edible” doesn’t mean we should do it. Sugar dopes the brain for more sugar. Our culture has built up this massive lie that it’s OK as well. Then there’s the emotional side of eating.

So, it’s a valid exercise to consider. Think of how liberating it is to not be a slave to food you shouldn’t be eating because it’s unhealthy.

(Aviva Riley) #11

Ok, all taken on board. Have you just weaned yourself off old eating habits? How long has it taken you all?

(Daisy) #12

I don’t know that I entirely agree with the gentlemen above. Although ideally, in a few weeks, you’re going to get to a point where you really won’t want the keto “treats” (and believe me, you do!), it can be very helpful in the first few weeks (on rare occasion) to keep you from failing. At this point in your new way of eating, if you think you can never have anything sweet again, you may think “this is not what I signed up for!” and quit. However, if you know you can have something a little sweet (like keto cake) when you “really need it” it can keep you on board until you realize (and again, you will!) that you really don’t need it or want it anymore. Just be sensible. Stick with one piece of whatever it is and make it the exception, not the rule. A lot of the “experienced keto-ers” sometimes forget what it’s like to be a newbie. It’s a complete change and takes time to get in the swing of things. Good luck!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #13

My first thought is No, you shouldn’t eat the keto cake, because it’s junk food and could be a trigger and I would bet my life has more carbs than you expect for the amount that would satisfy you. On the other hand, I ate fat bombs in the beginning and made my way through the “keto treats” jungle on my journey so I can’t say don’t do it. I will report that none of them lived up to what I thought I needed and after a while, even the real thing didn’t. Do what you gotta do to ease into ketogenic eating but know that you might be disappointed on your quest and might very well find it stalls your progress and leads to feeling crappy or other cravings. Let us know how it goes for you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

It can take a while to get addictive and emotional reasons for eating under control. One thing that helps me, however, is that a ketogenic diet has restored my hormonal signaling for hunger and satiety, so I now know the difference between needing food and wanting food as a pacifier.

Mark, Kyle, and Daisy have all brought up good points. I would say to bear them in mind, and if you really need a keto treat, then try one of those recipes. Just do it warily. Most of these recipes are only relatively low-carb, so you don’t want to binge on them, any more than you’d want to binge on real cake. Better to have some double-cream yoghurt with a few berries in it as a treat.

There are a number of savory keto replacements. I find I really enjoy pizza made with a Fathead crust (a recipe promoted by the producer of the movie Fathead), but most of the “bread” recipes taste to me like ways of ruining perfectly good eggs. The sweet replacements tend to be more successful, but then we run into the issue Mark and Kyle brought up.

My sister and I have tried making a few keto desserts for special occasions. I wasn’t wild about the keto pumpkin pie, though I do like the two cheesecake recipes we found. The problem with a keto sweet is that it’s either (a) disappointing, about which enough said; or (b) delicious, in which case it can waken sleeping cravings best let alone. (There is a reason that recovering alcoholics avoid non-alcoholic beer and wine, after all!)

The cheesecakes I’ve made fall into the second category for me, so I can really only make them for special occasions (church events, holiday gatherings), when most of the cheesecake will be eaten by other people. Granted, bingeing on sugar-free cheesecake is better than bingeing on real cheesecake, but nevertheless . . . .

There is one biochemical issue that also needs to be mentioned, which is that a lot of people on these forums report that one or another of the non-sugar sweeteners can cause their insulin to spike—thus interfering with the whole point of a ketogenic diet, which is about keeping insulin levels as low as possible for as much of the time as possible. This is completely anecdotal evidence, but it’s been reported by enough people that it is a concern. The response appears to be completely individual too, so that a sweetener that others swear by can cause you problems, and vice versa. Since there is no home test for insulin, this can be a subtle problem to diagnose. (It has to be inferred indirectly from the pattern of glucose readings after ingesting the sugar substitute.)

Okay, now that you know the potential issues, do what works best for you. As Dr. Phinney has said on more than one occasion, artificial sweeteners aren’t ideal, but if you need them to help you stay on a ketogenic diet, that’s better than going back to the standard high-carb diet. But now you can make an informed choice.

(less is more, more or less) #15

Well, I’m a poor model to follow. My family, who loves me, find my self-control rather freakish. Being 56, and a fan of asceticism, controlling what I eat is a daily discipline. That is all nice and novel, but when I found how radically beneficial low-carb eating was, that motivated me to stay the course, regardless of my idiosyncrasies.

Even people who know me and my hiccups think I miss bread, rice, sugar, cake, donuts and all of that ugly posse. They love to try to tempt me with cake. (Why do “friends” think this is charming, in any way?) I cannot say I have, or did, miss this carbage this time around. Some people, here, report dreaming about sumptuous pastry buffets. I used to have that dream back in my 30’s on my low-fat diet regimen. I haven’t had that experience this time around.

What you’ll find is that, with the right motivation, you’ll discover what’s best for you. Low-carb will most likely (but not always) result in better health for you. It’s a positive feedback loop. Afterwards, whether 2 weeks or 2 years, you’ll see the sugar-loaded cake for the cancer it is. You’ll also find that our eating is anything but boring.

With all this culinary goodness, who needs cake?

(Aviva Riley) #16

Amazing responses all. #inspired

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

A bit? Lol :wink:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

I ate tons of keto cookies cake candies and used artificial sweeteners the first few years keto. (as evidenced by many of my recipes in this forum. I dare you to do a search under Zorn. LOL)
It kept me compliant. So it really depends on the person. I really never use them anymore. I imagine once or twice a year for a special occasion I may again? But that’s about it. I’m happy with wine and tequila and fresh berries and heavy cream for my treats now.
And a few squares of 90% chocolate occasionally. No artificial sweeteners involved. Matter fact I even like 100% chocolate bars. I found one at Trader Joe’s with cocoa nibs. 100%. It’s amazing. I think the company was Montezuma?

(Aviva Riley) #19

I have bought some raspberries and clotted cream now! Looks very tasty

(Ashley) #20

That’s actually a great idea for my dad! Having him Keto he’s missing his sweets! Maybe berries and heavy cream will work for him!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

Do what you have to do to keep him compliant if his health is in jeopardy. You can wean him off of this stuff later.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

And of course berries and heavy cream are always okay, healthy, and Keto

(Ashley) #23

Yeah he has copd and heart issues, a-fib! I keep him low carb, he still indulges once in a while when people bring him snacks but I let it go because 99% of the time he’s Keto with me. I do let him have his diet pop, one can of caffeine free Pepsi a day. I tell him it’s not the best but if it keeps him eating better! Looking into remag for afib as I feel he’s on harsh statins and don’t want him to remain on them or his heart medication!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

That is the real point, in my opinion. Better not to go there, if possible, but much better to stick with keto than to fail.

(Brian) #25

It’s hard to have a feel for exactly what you have in mind. I can’t disagree with anyone above. There are reasons not to have a treat. There are reasons why you could have a treat.

When I first started, I did a lot of experimenting with recipes of all kinds of keto stuff, savory as well as sweet. I needed a new set of foods that I like that were OK to eat. Some of those were sweet things, pretty much sugar free / keto, but still some sweet things. I’m not of the opinion that it’s wrong to explore that. Then again, I’m not one that generally had a problem with sweets triggering massive cravings. I know, some do have that problem.

So are you talking about making yourself a single mug cake and having that be it? Or a few berries with a little whipped cream? Or are you talking about making yourself a Kentucky Butter Cake that has like 16 servings and chowing down? Honestly, I wouldn’t have an issue with one of the first. The last, however, would raise some flags for me. But again, that’s just me.

(Aviva Riley) #26

I was just wanting a bit of an end of week relax treat. But I totally get the point above- I need to find another way to reward myself for getting through a tough week.

(Aviva Riley) #27

On this note, as I’ve just started, are there any websites you guys use for ordering stuff. There’s special keto whey protein, keto bread for £10!!! Any good?

(Bob M) #28

I used to eat a lot of that stuff when I started 5+ years ago. (Note: I started multiple times in at least the 5 years previous to that, but I thought I “needed” carbs to do my 90+ miles/week on my bike.) Now, if I want something like that, I just have a small piece of the real thing. And I try to avoid eating that as much as possible.

One thing I do not like about this board is how much fake food there is. There’s no need for fake food. Fake keto bread is still fake, likely full of PUFAs and other junk you don’t need, and if you’re susceptible, will cause overeating. If you can have it once a month, likely it’s not a big deal. If you have it and eat all of it, then want more, that’s not good.

(Daisy) #29

I would just say don’t waste your money. I have about a dozen or more “keto” products in my cabinet that I bought when I first started. They’ll still be there 10 years from now or when I eventually give in and throw it away :persevere:

Just stick to the basics, whole foods whenever you can. You’ll feel better and save a lot of money lol