Keto cake

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

Do what you have to do to keep him compliant if his health is in jeopardy. You can wean him off of this stuff later.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

And of course berries and heavy cream are always okay, healthy, and Keto

(Ashley) #23

Yeah he has copd and heart issues, a-fib! I keep him low carb, he still indulges once in a while when people bring him snacks but I let it go because 99% of the time he’s Keto with me. I do let him have his diet pop, one can of caffeine free Pepsi a day. I tell him it’s not the best but if it keeps him eating better! Looking into remag for afib as I feel he’s on harsh statins and don’t want him to remain on them or his heart medication!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

That is the real point, in my opinion. Better not to go there, if possible, but much better to stick with keto than to fail.

(Brian) #25

It’s hard to have a feel for exactly what you have in mind. I can’t disagree with anyone above. There are reasons not to have a treat. There are reasons why you could have a treat.

When I first started, I did a lot of experimenting with recipes of all kinds of keto stuff, savory as well as sweet. I needed a new set of foods that I like that were OK to eat. Some of those were sweet things, pretty much sugar free / keto, but still some sweet things. I’m not of the opinion that it’s wrong to explore that. Then again, I’m not one that generally had a problem with sweets triggering massive cravings. I know, some do have that problem.

So are you talking about making yourself a single mug cake and having that be it? Or a few berries with a little whipped cream? Or are you talking about making yourself a Kentucky Butter Cake that has like 16 servings and chowing down? Honestly, I wouldn’t have an issue with one of the first. The last, however, would raise some flags for me. But again, that’s just me.

(Aviva Riley) #26

I was just wanting a bit of an end of week relax treat. But I totally get the point above- I need to find another way to reward myself for getting through a tough week.

(Aviva Riley) #27

On this note, as I’ve just started, are there any websites you guys use for ordering stuff. There’s special keto whey protein, keto bread for £10!!! Any good?

(Bob M) #28

I used to eat a lot of that stuff when I started 5+ years ago. (Note: I started multiple times in at least the 5 years previous to that, but I thought I “needed” carbs to do my 90+ miles/week on my bike.) Now, if I want something like that, I just have a small piece of the real thing. And I try to avoid eating that as much as possible.

One thing I do not like about this board is how much fake food there is. There’s no need for fake food. Fake keto bread is still fake, likely full of PUFAs and other junk you don’t need, and if you’re susceptible, will cause overeating. If you can have it once a month, likely it’s not a big deal. If you have it and eat all of it, then want more, that’s not good.

(Daisy) #29

I would just say don’t waste your money. I have about a dozen or more “keto” products in my cabinet that I bought when I first started. They’ll still be there 10 years from now or when I eventually give in and throw it away :persevere:

Just stick to the basics, whole foods whenever you can. You’ll feel better and save a lot of money lol

(less is more, more or less) #31

this ^ ^ ^

This is a vitally important point. Our bodies know what to do when we stop listening to bad advice. I’d also argue the nutritional quality of such products, but that’s a separate point.

Things are more simple on low-carb.

(Aviva Riley) #32

(Aviva Riley) #33

Do you agree with these? Very expensive

(less is more, more or less) #34

I don’t.

If your money is burning a hole in your wallet, you might want to start here:

The above is the 2 Keto Dudes (and dudette?) Amazon store with the products they recommend.

or here:

https://www.adaptyourlife.com/

Which has a variety of foods produced under Dr. Westman’s guidance.

(Brian) #35

FWIW… I’m not a fan of the bought keto treats (usually Atkins brand here) or pre-made keto breads, that stuff. If I want something, I pretty much make it myself. Then at least I know what’s in it.

There is a mug bread that I make on occasion. It’s basically a few tablespoons of almond flour, an egg, a bit of butter, a pinch of salt, and a bit of baking powder - 90 seconds in the microwave. It will do for a burger bun, actually fairly nicely. It toasts decently. I don’t do it all the time but for the occasional burger bun, it’s quick and easy and I don’t have any trouble reading the ingredients list. Also goes well with a little cream cheese on it as something that might resemble morning toast.

Again, just a FWIW…

Good luck!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

There is a simple guide to a ketogenic diet in the back of one of Gary Taubes’s books, and one of the points always tickles me when I read it: “Avoid foods labeled ‘keto’ or ‘low-carb’.” :rofl:

Just thought of another riff on Michael Pollan’s famous line: “Eat real food. As much as it takes. Mostly meat.”

(Full Metal KETO AF) #37

I like an occasional piece of low carb cake or a pancakes and bacon breakfast. I use coconut flour most of the time and don’t consider it “junk food”. Coconut flour recipes have lots of eggs usually, coconut oil or butter, high fat dairy, and cocoa powder so not really junk. Some have issues with any use of sugar alcohols and stevia, others not. If you have a problem with it triggering an inability to control yourself then yes, probably best to avoid it and focus on rehabilitating your taste in food. For me it’s not often and when I feel like something different to break up the routine. If you guys see that as junk food, okay. But to me it’s just combining keto friendly ingredients creatively. But then I can make a small cake and eat a piece and none the next day when it’s in the fridge. At any rate I did wait two months before I ventured into any keto baking.