Keto brownies that came out FANTASTIC

(Ana) #1

I tried this recipe today because I was having a BAD chocolate craving for the first time since going keto, & it came out fantastic. I modified it a tiny bit from the original, but I noted that below.

Hope you enjoy. =)

Batter ingredients:

1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup Swerve confectioner’s sweetener (or sweetener of your choice)
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract, or seeds from 1 vanilla bean
1/4 tsp fine sea salt

• I added 1/4 cup coconut flour & one extra egg to fluff up the batter a little bit. This wasn’t in Maria’s recipe, but that’s how I roll.

Frosting ingredients:
6 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
1/3 cup Swerve sweetener (or equivalent of your choice)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup heavy cream, or full fat coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325. Line 8x8 pan with parchment paper & grease well. Combine all ingredients for batter & mix until smooth. Poor into pan & bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.

Frosting: Place the softened butter, sweetener, & cocoa in a bowl & mix until smooth. Add the cream & vanilla & mix until smooth & creamy. Spread over cooled brownies.

Original recipe from Maria Emmerich’s book “Quick & Easy Ketogenic Cooking” & http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/. Awesome ideas in that book & on her blog.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #2

[Moved to Food > recipes, Recipes, RECIPES category]

Thanks for sharing your recipe!
I wonder how the consistency of the batter would be if I skipped the sweetener? (I never add any)

(Ana) #4

It would probably be fine if you’re not craving the sweetness. I cut the amount I used by almost half, because I don’t want to be eating too much sweet stuff, & it was still yummy.

Thank you! I’ll have to try this. Definitely don’t want to reawaken the sweet tooth! Kicked it to the curb 16 years ago! :wink: (Dad mentioned he had high blood sugar and I quit candy “cold turkey” as soon as he told me, though I had no symptoms myself).

(Ana) #6

Wow, that’s impressive! I don’t crave sweets too often…usually just one day a month.