Keto Bread to buy

(bulkbiker) #21

That is exactly what it is likely responsible, for those conditions arose when humans changed from hunter gatherers to farmers. Today the introduction of toxic seed oils too the mix has hastened the metabolic decline.

The advice to avoid bread whether ‘keto’ or not is great advice.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

(BuckRimfire) #23

For US brands you’ll find as good an answer as any here. For the UK, this may be of no help…

https://www.quantifieddiabetes.com/2021/09/low-carb-bread-blood-glucose-testing-of-16-varieties-with-a-few-promising-results.html

What’s the carb content in what you actually eat? Two slices of bread should be more like 50-60g. I’ll never understand going by macros that you don’t eat. Let’s assume half and 2.2g is pretty impressive.

(Denise) #25

I believe the issue is many of us don’t know how to eat in moderation, like me for example. I lived on fast-foods for years, and way too many breads, cereals, crackers, and plain old sugar (the list goes on). And the word Fasting only made me think I had to starve for days on end and I wasn’t going there. So plenty of snacks, and whatever my craving was for, including Caramel M&Ms.

Seriously, isn’t this deeper (than metabolic syndrome, a symptom) than what’s on the shelves? The best way to pass up the temptation isn’t tor remove it from the face of the Earth, because I don’t believe we can do that, but to deal with it from the inside. I think it’s a Spiritual, mental, emotional and physical job many of us haven’t been willing to do or were incapable of doing.

I baked a bit of what I call, almond flour bread, during my first, few months of keto, and I didn’t go overboard. I don’t take credit for that, something in me was changed. You can call it luck, a blessing, or whatever you want, but I just feel I started looking at what I ate, and even what actually tasted good to me, or looked good that others were eating, all changed now in what I believe is a good way.

For you. Others may have a very different truth. Definition of “bread” and “health” are often individual, sometimes eating a little unhealthy stuff is the absolutely best option from many etc.

I don’t even understand this “fake food” thing at all! I just don’t get it. If the ingredients are mostly normal items then it’s definitely not fake for me. Okay, “normal” is individual too :smiley:
I was and somewhat still am for IIFYM so everything can fits keto to me. I have my own blacklist for reasons (and their exceptions), sure but not everyone is a quite health-conscious ketoer (not like I am one. I am not even a proper ketoer. I go off all the time and I can’t do much about it, I do what I can and I am almost pleased with that. but that doesn’t matter here, the OP wants to stick to keto). We have different views, approaches, attitudes, goals and whatever else here.

My “bread” is perfect bread in most cases. And it’s not bread indeed but it’s the farthest from fake and it’s bread enough for me due to its bread role.
If people may call their keto thing pizza, I can call all my keto and carnivore breads bread :smiley: (I don’t call my keto or carnivore or high-carb not-pizza pizza ever, I am choosier with that definition and I am totally unable to bake pizza, I know that. I am totally not consistent with my strictness of definitions but that’s my reality.)

Crutches surely have their roles. And if someone is fine with that and it helps them, why not? If only lower-carb and a few other rules helps, why not to use what we can when it makes our life easier? It’s totally our right.

(I never bought keto - more like paleo here though maybe they are carbier - bread but I just stopped eating bread for years WAY before keto… And I eat any kinds of bread if I want anyway. I just can imagine one finds an ally in some kind of keto breads but maybe they should be warned about things like carb content, various not so ideal ingredients, dependence of bread, whatever. Those are okay advices and the OP may listen or not, it’s totally their right and they should know themselves best. I heavily depended on sweets on my keto and it was clearly the best I could do in that situation, maybe that helps me to understand others with some strong attachment to bread…)

(bulkbiker) #27

I think the best way is to remove it from anywhere near me.
Food addiction is very really and substituting something is like an alcoholic drinking wine instead of vodka.
It simply can’t solve the root problem.
I have been a bread addict since my teens but in the past 6 years have removed it from my diet completely. For me abstinence is key.

(Denise) #28

But is the substance (food, alcohol) the root? Your way worked for you, I’m just saying it may not be right for someone else. Is our way always the best for someone else? I don’t think so as I’ve seen great things accomplished in different ways.

Not 46…4G, as in 4 grams carbs per wrap!

(Denise) #30

Oh geez, I see now, that g does look like a 6 but that should have been sort of obvious it couldn’t be a 6. Did I make that mistake? I’m assuming I did, lol!!

Good question, here’s the full numbers:
image https://hermanbrot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/LowerCarbBreadNutrition-1.png

(Robin) #32

Jumping in to the fray for no good reason except to remind myself that it’s up to me (and ya’ll) where our carbs come from. If people want to eat real or pretend bread, and it works for them… more power to them. It’s not where I would personally spend my carb allowance. Which reminds me, I should se how many carbs are in one single Lays Original Potato Chip.

Unfortunately, I am kidding… that’s a slippery slope I know I can’t handle. But just because I’m on a diet, doesn’t mean I can’t look at the menu. (I heard that quote from a guy whose wife caught him “looking” at other women. LOL)

Where is your evidence for that? From what I can tell, the metabolic problems we see, in the extent we see it, start to show up perhaps in the last 100 years (and accelerated more after the 1970s), whereas the change to farmers started tens of thousands of years ago, hundreds of generations ago. I’m not seeing a reasonable correlation there, let alone a causal relationship. Does bread somehow get into our genetic code that is passed down from generation to generation but take a few hundred generations to build up to too much bread in the dna? I’ll need to see some very good research on that one.

Can’t vouch for this one as I’m not in the UK and have never tried it, but this looks pretty decent at least:

They also have another for a highly seeded bread and such.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #35

Watch the Eades video I posted above.

(Bob M) #36

That was very impressive. They even calculated the AUC (area under the curve). For one person, though.

(BuckRimfire) #37

Yes, n=1 person and n=1 trial of each food, if I’m not mistaken, so that’s a big caveat.

But still, his efforts are impressive and his methodology seems pretty sound, at least to my naive eye. As a late-onset Type 1, he (I’m pretty sure it’s “he,” could read more closely, I guess) is a great test subject since he doesn’t make confounding insulin himself.

Using a CGM to get area under the curve is cool. Unfortunately, in the flour substitute test he didn’t graph that data on the main page but it’s in a linked spreadsheet.
https://www.quantifieddiabetes.com/2021/11/low-carb-flour-replacements-blood-glucose-testing-of-18-varieties-with-some-surprising-results.html

(Omar Agha) #38

Seems its US only though - TY

(Omar Agha) #39

Ive seen these and also heard that they arent ‘keto friendly’ ? Despite the advertising.

(Omar Agha) #40

Yes based in UK but TY