Keto Bread to buy

(Omar Agha) #1

Dear All,

Which Keto bread is safe to buy ? Dont have time nor the inclination to make any, just want to buy. Which brands are keto safe (plenty advertised as keto) but want to make sure from you much more informed friends which to focus on - btw I am based in the UK. All help welcomed - thanks

(Scott) #2

My way of thinking is if it is bread, its not keto. Also anything with keto on the label I donā€™t eat. They are hoping was stop reading after the word keto.

I believe @carl has mentioned using Fox Hill Kitchens bread a few times and enjoying it a few years back. Not sure if heā€™s updated that opinion since then, but seems to fit the bill of what you want: https://foxhillkitchens.com/

As I recall, they are a bit pricey, but up to you how worth it it is.

(Bob M) #4

@djindy While Iā€™ve heard everything made by Fox Hill Kitchens is great, the original poster is in the UK.

@Omar_Agha If you can, the best thing to do is not have bread for a while, if you want to truly be keto. While I think some/many donā€™t need to be keto, keto is a good place to start. But keto usually = <20 grams of carbs, which is not much. Bread would take a lot or all of that.

And a lot of us have issues with gluten, so ā€œbreadā€ wouldnā€™t help you to determine what your issues are.

And a lot of ā€œketoā€ products have undesirable things added to them. I have yet to find an actual ā€œbreadā€ substitute that tastesā€¦like bread. (And I was never a big ā€œbreadā€ eater pre-keto; pizza is a different story.)

Youā€™ll get a lot of anti-keto bread answers, but as long as youā€™re not afraid of fiber or some negligible carbs and donā€™t believe that 20g of carbs is fine and 21g means your head explodes, typically the ones that are sold alongside real bread and not those small sliced refrigerated ones are pretty good. The two I used the most wouldnā€™t be detected by a normal person as being any different than a normal bread. Check the major bread makers, most offer a keto bread at this point. Iā€™m in the US so not sure of the major brands you have.

I am in Australia and have recently discovered this bread, with 5.4g of carbs per 100g: https://hermanbrot.com.au/product_page/low-carb-bread/ You can also order it online in the UK, it seems?

I find it to be within my own carb tolerance and, more importantly, it tastes delicious - just like a very dense, grainy piece of similar brand Burgen. I personally find the overall nutritional profile to be very good. Your mileage may vary depending on your personal needs and carb/protein tolerance. I believe itā€™s also the same brand of Low-Carb bread and buns stocked by Aldi - but just packaged and labelled differently. I found the buns pretty average though (for burgers).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

Sorry to be the spoil sport. But bread is bread and ersatz fake ā€˜low carbā€™ and/or ā€˜ketoā€™ imitations are not. Bread is what started the so-called ā€˜agricultural revolutionā€™ 10k years ago and got us into the metabolic mess weā€™re in now. Just forget it - embrace the wonderful food world of fat and protein. Youā€™ll eventually be glad you did. This from someone who loved bread pre-keto as much as anyone and more than most. Embrace the new world and you will not lament the old.

Excessive, cheap sugar got us into the metabolic mess weā€™re in now, not bread per se. Sugar is loaded into most store bought bread like crazy now, for various reasons, including because of fat scares getting manufacturers to take out the fat they used to use to make bread taste better. The problem is, once youā€™ve already had lots of that excessive sugar (and by this I mean like sucralose and fructose), and thatā€™s screwed up your body, then you canā€™t deal with the other sugars as well either (such as found in even lower sugar bread).

But, for thousands of years people ate bread very regularly (along with gruel) even as their primary food source, and didnā€™t have the metabolic mess we see today. Itā€™s not the bread per se, itā€™s the rest of the context.

Either way, the question was what could be used. We should really focus on answering that question, and make a different thread for advocating why or why not to eat any kind of bread. While I generally donā€™t bother with ā€˜keto breadsā€™ myself, or other replacement ā€˜keto-version of x non-keto thingā€™ much anymore and do think thatā€™s psychologically helpful, if someone really wants to do it, thatā€™s fine.

Iā€™m in UK, and ordered this (once) from Amazon (very pricy, a bit rubbery):

(Denise) #10

I really think itā€™s the darn texture of bread I miss, and what I could put on it. I got passed wanting it luckily, but I did have a bit of homeā€“made almond flour ā€œbreadā€ itā€™s called but mine was more like cake, so Iā€™d smear some cream-cheese on it and have a snack. About two months ago I just stopped making it, or wanting any, but I still lost from 140 down to 116 eating it.

I see a lot of things Keto, someone is smart enough, or maybe crooked enough to try and make a million on selling things that they know people will buy, rather than give up, or make for themselves. There are some good recipes (on youtube), keto safe as I look at all the ingredients to be sure, same if you are going to try buying it. Read that label, whatever you do. Of course, Iā€™m Type 2 Diabetic on Keto so I canā€™t afford to not be careful. One guy some may not like, but I find him helpful, and I donā€™t think he would purposely try to derail someone from being more healthy, is Thomas DeLaure. Maybe some negative opinions from me mentioning him but you can decide I imagine :slight_smile: Just read labels, most important.

Everyone is different and if some bread types help you get through, and just in moderation like I did, you can do that. Lots of people do fat-bombs too, and lately, those are helping me stay full, and I still lost another pound. I do exercise, both body-weight, and walking 4 miles an hour at least 3 or 4 times a week.

@Omar_Agha

However, Iā€™ve been buying these from Tescoā€™s. Great for lunch, I heat for 30 seconds in microwave, then smother in butter or mayonnaise, sprinkle with grated cheese and add salami/ham/smoked salmon or any combination you like and roll up. Think they cost Ā£3.55 for a pack of 4.

(Denise) #12

What kind of flour is in it, see, I donā€™t like when the ingredients isnā€™t real plain, but when I clicked the pic I couldnā€™t see ā€œmore ingredientsā€ Just curious because Wheat flour has carbs right? 46!! I feel a diabetic coma coming on, lol!! I know, not funny!!

(Denise) #14

Dang!! I love tortillas!! I havenā€™t seen those here in the U.S. though :sleepy: Iā€™m so sad. Iā€™ll fly right over :wink:

(Denise) #15

Iā€™ll go look at the carbs, but Iā€™m guessing really high for a T2 like me :wink:

I also get these off Amazon (UK). Not bad for snacks, OK if you use a dressing like mayoā€¦great with smoked salmon.

(Denise) #18

That looks good to me, and I remember eating some pretty, rubbier, or doughy wheat-flour breads too :wink:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

I answered the OPā€™s question. Bread is not keto and fake breads are not bread. Thereā€™s a video by Dr Michael Eades on the forum which I and others have posted multiple times. Eades shows the evidence that refutes your claim that bread was healthy. Search the forum for Eades or Paleopathology. Maybe Iā€™ll just repost the link here after I get home from work later. I agree with you about sugar. It made an unhealthy situation worse. As did industrial seed oils, which in my opinion are somewhat useful for light lube jobs and not much else.

Fake Breads are closer to breads than your answer was to an answer to the question posed.

When the question is: ā€œWhich keto bread is safe to buy?ā€
And your answer is: ā€œBread is not keto, and fake breads are not breadā€ You have not answered the question posed, at all.

I never said bread was ā€œhealthyā€. I said it didnā€™t, on itā€™s own, result in what we currently see as a ā€˜metabolic crisisā€™, unless you are using that term in a rather unusual way that would somehow include the last 10K years of ā€œcrisisā€. In the right context, itā€™s not going to result in the high levels of metabolic related complications like obesity and diabetes we see today. It did not do so for most of human history even when relied on frequently for food. Does that make it an optimal food, including in the past? No, but non-perfect foods do not equate to a ā€œmetabolic crisisā€ either.

Either way, if you think ā€œketo breads are not breadā€ then bringing up how bad bread is is going way off topic since the topic was very specifically about ā€œketo breadā€ which you claim ā€œis not breadā€.