Keto, body image, and dysmorphia

(betsy.rome) #61

I agree, it’s what’s in your mind’s eye that matters, as far as your self-image and how that affects your current life & your future. If we don’t make the mental adjustment, we are predisposed to put the weight back on. Yo-yo, anyone?

That has happened to me in my distant past, and I’m determined to make this the last journey down the scale (refuse to call this lifestyle a DIET) the last one I take. I am hoping that keto & IF will assist me in staying at goal weight this time.

(Arlene) #62

Betsy, I have played the yo yo body weight fluctuation thing for many years. Like you, I’m determined to make this way of eating a permanent lifestyle to hopefully achieve a stable, healthy weight. I’m okay with the term “diet”, as I understand this term just refers to the food we consume.
For me, the knowledge of this ketogenic lifestyle has been a miraculous gift, liberating me from self-hatred and continuous thoughts of uncertainty and some kind of future doom. I am so grateful for this forum, and all the podcasts, videos, and lchf websites getting this vital truth out to as many people as possible.
Congratulations on being another lucky person to have stumbled upon this keto lifestyle. I sincerely hope you reach a satisfactory, steady goal weight/size. Here’s to wearing the same size of clothing for as long as we want!

Since Overeaters Anonymous and/or Anorexics and Bulimics are spiritual programs (focused on the higher power of your understanding) it can do wonders for people like us who have body image issues.

So grateful for the 12 step programs.

(Kellyn ) #64

I feel the exact same way. Some days I look at myself in the mirror and can tell that I have lost weight and others days, like today I see the same person that started this diet. The scale barely moves each week and I know my measurements are going down, but I struggle with my body image most days. I think the days that I look smaller is just a fluke and the larger me is the real me. Almost to the point that I don’t like looking at myself in the mirror. You are not alone in this.