Keto and starvations: The lack of correct food makes one hungry

I am already not sure if I slim down because I starve myself or because I am in the keto correctly. When I posted this rant in other places, all of them are like “huh” and don’t understand where I am coming from and why I have that kind of doubts, and it makes me going to go crazy…

Long story short:
So sometime I go out without eating breakfast, and it is not really because I am not hungry: It is because I am in a rush and don’t even have 3~5 minutes to prepare, and I don’t really want to eat boiled eggs(the easiest breakfast that I can think of) everyday.
Then when I reach the working place, I also don’t really see any possible options that is keto-compliant(at least I don’t have enough time to ask for details for the food sold in the restaurant), so I am kinda forced to starve since I am thinking that it is better to be safe(starve) than sorry(eat the wrong food)
In the end, I eat less, but most of the time it is not because keto makes me feel more satiety: It is because of the deprivation of the food. <_<

(Allie) #2

Can you not prepare food the night before to take to work with you? For many people, the key to making this lifestyle work is the preparation.

afraid of the food getting spoiled. <_<

Especially those veggies. (Not too worried of the meat)

Besides, it will go cold, hence making the food not tasty. <_<

You don’t need to eat breakfast. Just have a bigger lunch.

(Allie) #5

So make foods that are OK cold… if you want this to work, you need to shift your thinking to figure out HOW you can do that.

(Brian) #6

From my impressions of those doing alternate day fasting, I am thinking that a person should either eat or not eat. Feast or fast. So your days of fasting are not a bad thing. I’m thinking it’s better than picking at a little bit of something, which would amount to severe calorie restriction, and that’s usually linked to lowered BMR.

I do hope that when you do eat, you are able to eat well, eat good food, and eat to the point where you’re satiated.

Do you like deviled eggs? I like them better than hard boiled, more flavors going on. And they’re pretty easy to make enough ahead of time for a couple of days if you would enjoy having some of those for breakfast. I also enjoy some Greek yogurt at times but one does need to be careful about that because some have way more sugar / carbs than others. Also, some don’t like it plain and what goes with it, often fruit, can be a little high in carbs, too. I don’t know if meat n cheese rollups or something like that could be easy to prepare ahead of time. Or if you’re able to do some stuff with a crockpot, could you make yourself some keto friendly stews and soups such that you could take them with you or even have them when you get home at night?

Just throwing some thoughts out there. Not sure if any of them will be of interest.

I just made a batch of homemade beef jerky (ketoconnect recipe) and it was the best thing I have ever done as far as meal prep. It was quite the process to make, but well worth the time. I now have a big bag of ready made jerky in the fridge for easy breakfasts, snacks on the go, or a quick lunch accompanied by fresh veggies that I always have prepared in the fridge. Bonus, is that they don’t stink like hard boiled eggs, another staple for me for life on the go! Ha ha!!

Err… The problem is that I don’t have a time to eat a proper lunch as well.

??? Picking at a little bit of something???

Anyway, I am also afraid of lowered BMR. If this starvation keeps going on, the BMR is at risk. Sometime when I get the time, I will try to go for the buffet restaurant to eat till very full.(those Korean/Japanese/China Buffet)

I also want so, but I am almost unable to. Sometime it is that I bought/prepared food, and I ate a few only, then I cannot tolerate to eat anymore as they are just… yuck. (For example, roasted pork belly that is roasted till too bitter and too cold to eat), yet I don’t want to throw away, so I kinda separate it into a few parts to eat throughout the day, even though the amount of that pork belly is actually enough for one meal for me only. <_<

But crockpot… I am quite a lazy person, so I actually kinda like to just put everything inside the pot and cook. The bringing out part and the flavouring part is the hard part though.(Especially flavouring, since most of the flavouring that I like is carby…)

Beef jerky… I might be able to try the pork version.(Well, our family doesn’t eat beef, though I don’t care and still eat beef, but I also don’t eat much beef, especially when it comes to cooking in home.)

Err… The problem is that I don’t have a time to eat a proper lunch as well.
[/quote]

Or, sorry. How about one big dinner then? And then 3 meals on weekends so you don’t get stuck in a pattern?

Never mind. That’s quite like an excuse actually. But, sometime I try my best to eat big(go to buffet to eat).

(Brian) #11

Would something like this be helpful?

(Allie) #12

Seems to me you’re focusing on the reasons you CANNOT make this work rather than looking for ways to make it happen, you need to stop this or you will succeed at failing.

I don’t know what facilities you have at work, but at my place there’s a fridge and a kettle and that’s it. So I take in things like nut butter, pre-cooked sausages, pre-cooked chicken thighs, pretty much any pre-cooked meat you like. I take in salads covered in oils / dressings, sometimes I make up a meal replacement shake with protein powder, olive oil and other things added - blend it at home then give it a quick shake when I want it.

There’s loads of options but you have to get used to putting some time and effort into actually doing prep the night before, or even try getting out of bed 30 mins earlier to give you more time in the morning…

If you want it to work you’ll find a way, but you really need to lose the focus you have on why you can’t do it.

Maybe I am more on looking the effortless way to make it work. After all, didn’t people say that keto is very easy? <_<

I am in only because of the easiness and the lack of restriction. If it is only EASY theoretically and it is still hard when you are trying it in a practical sense, then… <_<

and you cannot blame me for thinking like that. I can be foolish enough not to focus on why it cannot work and focus on how to make it work, but… it doesn’t make sense to me.

(Brian) #14

Couldn’t help but think of this… (I was thinking of a different clip but the message is pretty much the same…)

(Allie) #15

OK. Why can’t you get up 30 mins earlier each day? Why can’t you spend 30 (or less) mins prepping food the evening before?

Keto IS easy when you stop putting barriers in your way by focusing on what you can’t do.

Chia seed porridge can be made the night before & eaten either hot or cold- takes 5 mins to get ready, no cooking- just chia seeds, nut mild, nut butter, you can vary the flavours. Or make some mini frittates in muffin times & take those. There’s lots of keto bread recipes online, you can make a loaf & freeze individual slices, defrost it & make a sandwich for lunch. Packets of nuts…

I need more sleep. <_<

In fact, I don’t feel like waking up.

If I can, I also want to, mister. It is really easy to say. Maybe you will say “I can do it”. Then it is you, not me.

But I will consider…

HUH? sandwich? O_O

keto bread sandwich…

(Allie) #19

Then you need to look at your night time routine and work out how to get better quality sleep.

Keto is justbpart of healing your body and improving your health, sleep is another part of it that is seriously underrated by so many people. If you can fix your sleep, everything else is much easier to deal with.

Start by listening to this -

Your issue is lack of preparation. No excuse for not having time for breakfast, get up earlier. For lunch you can do salads with fatty dressings and meat on them and that isn’t required to be hot. I get up at 0330 every morning not because I want to, because I must if I want to eat a good breakfast, go to the gym, be at work on time and also be home on time to spend so time with my kid before he goes to bed. We ALL have time in almost all cases, its all about how me manage it. Also, I drive a truck so everything I bring is what can survive in a lunch box with some plastic ice cubes.