Keto and Parkinson's Disease

(Linda Knobeloch Palmer) #3

The only restrictions I am aware of are tied to timing of protein intake with Carbadopa-Levadopa and avoiding fermented foods & soft cheeses with Selegeline. Those are the two meds I am familiar with.

(Carpe salata!) #4

It would be interesting to see if the incidence of Parkinson’s is increasing , to gauge whether it might be linked to our increasingly carb laden diets.

Because it’s a degenerative disease of the brain cells of the substantia nigra area, I would have thought that ‘good fats’ like fish oils, grass fed eggs/meat and coconut oil might be useful. But that’s only a guess.

Another guess would be to reduce carbs and the oxidative byproducts of sugar metabolism to slow inflammation and degenerative processes in general.

It will be interesting if improvements are reported because it would appear that any diet therapies would only slow further progress. Interesting topic.

(Khara) #5

I have seen several articles on the use of Keto to help with Parkinson’s. It interests me because I have diabetic family that now have Parkinson’s as well. No first hand experience though. Maybe take a look at Robb Wolf’s website. I think (?) I saw some articles there. Good luck and please keep us posted of anything you learn.

(Linda Knobeloch Palmer) #6

There was a very small study (N=5) that did show improvement. Outcomes did show a range of improvement of symptoms. I was diagnosed on June 30, 2017. I began KD on July 31st. I had been on my medication (Selegiline) 4 weeks and did notice a reduction. On July 14th I realized that I felt wonderful and was not having the reduced physical symptoms that I had been experiencing. Since that time I have had one day that I experienced mild anxiety (another symptom). I am averaging 75-20-5 macronutrients. I am using urine strips, which I know are not exact, but seem to help me gauge whether I am in ketosis or not. In addition, I have lost 12 lbs (a bonus). I know of only one other PD patient who has had to reduce his medication by half. I hope this forum will tease out some others.

(Carpe salata!) #7

Wow. You were quick int keto. I hope it helps a lot and you can stay with mild or no symptoms.

(Linda Culbreth) #8

Double WOW! Best wishes as you keto on. Are you having to educate your doc on what you’re doing?

(melinda) #9

(Linda Knobeloch Palmer) #10

justme Linda Culbreth
September 14
Double WOW! Best wishes as you keto on. Are you having to educate your doc on what you’re doing?

(Linda Knobeloch Palmer) #11

Dr. Promoter “Grain Brain” author talks about PD and me to diet on his website.

(Casey Freeman) #12

My father has Parkinson’s and when I sent him some information on the Ketogenic diet he tried it and it helped him considerably, even allowing him to reduce his medication. He didn’t stick with full keto and now eats low carb and has maintained some benefit, including losing weight which has helped him be more active and participate in physical therapy which also seems to help him.

When he looked, he couldn’t find the definitive science, but it worked for him.

Good luck!

(Linda Knobeloch Palmer) #13

I have been out of the country for a week and not following the me to diet. Most of my symptoms have returned. I wanted to see what would happen…now I know. When I get home, I will be right back on it. Thanks for sharing with me. Glad to hear your dad is getting some relief.

(Khara) #14

Wow. I was just going to ask earlier this morning if you had an update but then I figured it really hasn’t been very long yet. That is a very interesting self experiment. Please keep us posted on how you go back to eating as well as what symptoms change and how. It seems the study of Keto and Parkinson’s is at the very brink of beginning so your info is important and helpful. I read the articles on David Perlmutter’s site that you mentioned. Good info to start with but again, the info is currently very little.

(April Siokos) #15

Does anyone have a link to a more in depth study? My Pa is old fashioned so fat is a big no no but I need as much evidence to hopefully help him.
I’ve ordered the book “Keto Clarity” for him to read.

(Bunny) #16

Thought you may be interested in the gut flora biome area of this! 1% human 99% microbiome?

The Relationship Between Gut Health, Autism, Alzheimer’s, & Parkinson’s with Dr. Zach Bush: “…Zach Bush, MD is one of the few triple board-certified physicians in the country - with expertise in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism, and Hospice/Palliative care. The breakthrough science that Dr. Bush and his colleagues have delivered offer profound new insights into human health and longevity. His education efforts provide a grassroots foundation from which we can launch change in our legislative decisions, ultimately up-shifting consumer behavior to bring about radical change in the mega industries of big farming, big pharma, and Western Medicine at large. …”

Research:

1. The Gut, The Brain and Parkinson’s - Parkinson’s - Trust UK
  1. Podcast: What Is a Protein Anyway? - May 04, 2018
    In Parkinson’s research, we often talk about proteins that “go wrong” such as alpha-synuclein, LRRK2 and GBA.
  1. Sweeter may be Bitter for Parkinson’s Disease “…Neuronal cells in our brains are highly dependent on the enzymatic breakdown and metabolism of glucose for energy. Alpha-synuclein is a long-lived protein, and is known to accumulate in insoluble deposits in the brains of patients with PD and other similar disorders. The close proximity of the glucose the brain uses for energy and the alpha-synuclein protein, create an environment where glycation may happen easily. …”
  1. Alpha-Synuclein Glycation and the Action of Anti-Diabetic Agents in Parkinson’s Disease.
  1. A Sweet Approach to a Treatment for PARKINSON’S DISEASE “…In laboratory test tube experiments it has also been found to prevent the protein alpha synuclein from forming aggregates, a significant finding which holds an important potential for treatment in PARKINSON’S DISEASE. To test the ability of mannitol to break up alpha synuclein aggregates in the brain, the researchers, Ehud Gazit and Daniel Segal and their laboratory team designed a study comparing the abilities of both genetically modified and normal drosophila, or fruit flies. The genetically modified flies to carried the human gene for alpha-synuclein and their performance was barely half of the performance of the normal flies. So the researchers added mannitol to the diet of the modified flies for a period of 27 days and then repeated the experiment. Amazingly, the modified flies were able to perform nearly as well as the normal flies. On examination of the brains of the modified flies, the researchers found a 70 percent reduction in the aggregates of alpha synuclein in the brains of the flies fed a mannitol diet compared to those who had not had the mannitol diet. …” …More
  1. (Poly)phenol-digested metabolites modulate alpha-synuclein toxicity by regulating proteostasis “…The (poly)phenol-digested metabolites from A. unedo leaves (LPDMs) effectively counteracted aSyn and H2O2 toxicity in yeast and human cells, improving viability by reducing aSyn aggregation and inducing its clearance. In addition, LPDMs modulated pathways associated with aSyn toxicity, such as oxidative stress, endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress, mitochondrial impairment, and SIR2 expression. Overall, LPDMs reduced aSyn toxicity, enhanced the efficiency of ER-associated protein degradation by the proteasome and autophagy, and reduced oxidative stress. …”
  1. Ketosis and Sugar Alcohol Sweeteners
  1. OUT-THINKING PARKINSON’S - Mannitol and Parkinson’s Disease: A Review December 23, 2016

Possible Relation?

1. Retention of Polyphenolic Species in Spray-Dried Blackberry Extract Using Mannitol as a Thermoprotectant
  1. Effect of sucrose and mannitol on the accumulation of health-promoting compounds and the activity of metabolic enzymes in broccoli sprouts

(April Siokos) #17

Thank-you so much :black_heart:

(Ray Reimann) #18

Thanks Casey, that response is what I was looking for.
I have a friend who I am slowly watching deteriorate and I hate not being bale to help.

(Ian) #19

Hello everyone. This is my first post, and I hope you find it useful.

There is a recent trail out of New Zealand that assessed Low‐fat versus ketogenic diet in Parkinson’s disease: A pilot randomized and controlled trial with 44 participants.

This study concluded that “It is plausible and safe for PD patients to maintain a low‐fat or ketogenic diet for 8 weeks. Both diet groups significantly improved in motor and nonmotor symptoms; however, the ketogenic group showed greater improvements in nonmotor symptoms”.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/mds.27390

(Jeanne Wagner) #20

I think you are referring to Dr. Perlmutter? He is the one who wrote Grain Brain. Great book.

Parkinson’s dis-ease is due to accumulation of heavy metals in the brain and most likely throughout the nervous system. I developed it as a child and lived with it throughout my teenage years from the placement of 5 mercury fillings.

The human body can produce Metallothionein proteins to remove these heavy metals but a lack of Vitamin A and D will prevent the production of these proteins. Fasting also increases Metallothionein proteins when there’s sufficient Vitamin A and D. So too much insulin and not enough growth hormone most likely suppresses the production of Metallothionein proteins.

Beta-carotene neutralises heavy metals. I noticed major benefits after consuming carrots for a couple weeks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=metallothionein+calcitriol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

I wouldn’t be surprised if the composition of fat intake turned out to be implicated in one way or another. Given that the brain is largely fat and cholesterol, a possible mechanism for damage might be the introduction of trans-fats and polyunsaturates from industrial seed oils that replace the fats that the body really needs. Also, as Chris Knobbe points out, anything that disrupts mitochondrial health is going to pose a problem to the body.