KETO and FIBER

(ray) #1

Fiber according to doctors is important for good colon health. I am finding it very difficult to consume appropriate amounts of fiber daily and stay in Keto. How can I do both?

Watch Dr Harcombe’s presentation (it’s linked in another fibre thread) to feel relieved.

(Norma Laming) #3

You really don’t need fibre: see many videos on YouTube by eg Dr Paul Mason. People here on ZC do very well without fibre. It was a revelation to me when I read this:https://www.gutsense.org/fiber-menace/about-fiber-menace-book.html

There are many discussions on this forum about fibre, as well.

(Chris) #4

That fiber is required for gut health or digestion is a flat out lie, in my opinion. I haven’t had any in 2 years, to be honest.

(Carl Keller) #5

I agree that fiber is very important in a diet rich in processed foods. In his book The Obesity Code , Jason Fung likens the relationship between processed foods and fiber as poison is to antidote and says that without the poison, the antidote in unnecesary .

Futhermore, he says, It is no coincidence that virtually all plant foods, in their natural, unrefined state, contain fiber. Mother Nature has pre-packaged the “antidote” with the "poison . Processed foods remove fiber for palatability and profit.

The video that @FrankoBear posted is quite good. Dr. Zoe Harcombe says that fiber is a subset of carbohydrate and she describes carbohydrate as a non-essential nutrient.

The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apprently is zero, provided that adequate protein and fat are consumed.

Many will tell you that you don’t need fiber, and many get along fine without it. Some people need it, I’ve become one of them. Over 2 years keto at this point (this round) and had issues for awhile going in general, very spread out bowel movements, blood in stool issues. Got a colonoscopy and the said fiber would fix my issues, also found out I stretched some stuff out and now have diverticulosis thanks to all the struggling. Since making it a point to get it in, I haven’t had a single issue and go regularly again. I don’t count fiber against my carbs, it doesn’t get processed the same as others. Certain fats and things like MCT oil can get things moving, but for me they’d accomplish that, but not help my other issues like very infrequent movements and blood in stool, fiber accomplished both.

(Norma Laming) #7

Though I think Dr Fung muddled things up with references to “plant foods” and “Mother Nature”.

Plants have fibre because they’re plants, not because they’re foods. Mother Nature belongs in nursery stories.

People get on fine without fibre. Ibs improves and going without oxaltes, lectins, goitrogens, salycilates etc etc can only be good.

(Carl Keller) #8

Ah but metaphor is the spice of language. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #9

According to the same doctors that claim carbs are essential for good health.

(Chris) #10

That’s Mother Goose, dude.

(Mark Rhodes) #11

of course if you really want fiber…https://caloriesproper.com/animal-fibre/

(Chris) #12

Fast twich and slow twitch fibers!

(Mark Rhodes) #13

HAHAHA. yeah, wait no. No…its more about the reason people eat fiber. Probiotics which are more usable from animal sources than non-digestible plant polysaccharides.

(Miro) #14

Aim for one avocado a day. A Costco avocado usually sorts out the fiber as it’s so big. So I slice it up for during the day into 2 diff meals.

Smaller avocados I aim for 2 or I add some flax seed to every meal.

The one avocado a day though does solve the (close to 25g fiber a day) (give or take a few)

(Libby) #15

+1 fiber is for the birds. My gut has never been so happy since I stopped shoving fiber at it.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #16

Easily deceived by crappy margarine! :rofl:

Thanks for sharing your important comment. I get concerned when commentary only flows in one direction.

(mole person) #18

Haha! I love Jason Fung and thought that The Obesity Code was as close to a perfect book as I have ever read but that Mother Nature bit was some pseudo-religious bit of ‘folksy’ wisdom that didn’t belong in that particular book. I’m glad that I already was suitability impressed with him before I heard him say that or it might have affected my desire to even pick up a book that fundamentally changed my life more than all the other low carb gurus combined.

(Paul H) #19

It may not be regular eating but, it’s regular and keto friendly alright. :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

https://blog.virtahealth.com/fiber-colon-health-ketogenic-diet/