Keto......amazing!

So I just wanted to post on here about how grateful I am for all the info I have read on this site! I made the decision to start my keto lifestyle change, with some urging of my doctor lol. As of yesterday it was 5 weeks I have been doing keto now. I know a lot of you on here say to just track your macros but I will admit I have diligently tracked my macros & my calories on a daily basis.

When I started keto I was weighing 373 pounds. I had no energy, literally LIVED to eat my next meal, food consumed me 24/7, it was an emotional attachment.

5 weeks of strict keto lifestyle change later. I weighed yesterday and weighed in at 342 pounds. 31 pounds lighter in 5 weeks! But more importantly I feel WAY better, have so much more energy! My wife says its like the man she originally married has came back home! In addition my A1C has improved greatly. So has my cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides!

I even found myself at the gym 6 days last week. A place I used to say was where Satan himself lived lol. I woke up this morning and was EXCITED to go get a great morning work out in before work.

However long it takes I am looking forward to riding myself of another 100-120 pounds and feeling great as I do it!

Again thank you to everyone on this site for all your encouragement and wisdom. I look forward to continuing to journey with you all & hope I can also provide wisdom/encouragement for others as they make the lifestyle change!

(Lisa) #2

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of Keto, and welcome to the board! Everyone is amazingly helpful and I think this forum ranks as Holy Grail for information and support. Keep up the great work and remember it’s a marathon and that will help keep you on track if you find yourself stuck. Keep us updated on your progress!

(Carl Keller) #3

Awesome progress report worben Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #4

Wow; that’s so awesome! We started on almost the same day. My weight loss is slower but there are so many additional benefits. Have you checked out dietdoctor.com? You can subscribe for a month for free (although I really commend them for making so much critical information available free of charge as a non-member, with no strings). If you sign up for the free trial, you have access to their whole library of videos from the experts. I really enjoy the lectures from various doctors and experts. I put a reminder on my calendar to unsubscribe in a month. Best.

(Benny) #5

Well done, keep up the great work

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Satan may still be at the gym, but you can still go! Great post, thank you for sharing and encouraging others to keep it up. Look forward to seeing you around!

(Marianne) #7

:cry: Wish you didn’t remind us.

:laughing:

(Alec) #8

A fantastic example of what keto can do. Bravo! You are a poster child of the keto WOE! :clap::clap:

(Benny) #9

I’m on day 31 and have gained 9lbs. Feel total lethargy, really stressed,really bad insomnia and frustration.
I’ve stuck religiously to under 20 carbs and have had lots of good fats and protein from salmon,avocado,grass fed beef,asparagus,broccoli,olive oil,mackerel,sardines, apple cider vinegar,spinach,kale,bacon,eggs,kerygold butter, heavy cream etc etc
All the very best of produce and mainly organic.
This month has cost me about ÂŁ700 in food and supplements. - vitamin b complex, magnesium,potassium,COD live oil,vitamin d
The stories of success are fantastic for those that it’s working for but for me personally it’s been the most demoralising month of my life.

(Melora) #10

Wow, good for you! Keto just seems too good to be true doesn’t it? I love how it makes me feel. Keep up the good work!! And keep in mind, for every pound of fat we lose, we take 4lbs of pressure off of our knees!

(Scott) #11

Don’t give up yet. After you get fat adapted in another month or less you can dial back the fats a little bit as long as it doesn’t make you crazy hungry. Make sure the produce doesn’t include much root veggies as they have more carbs. Hang in there!

(Bob M) #12

My recommendation: back off the fats. There’s really no reason to eat that many fats. For me, protein is filling and fat is less filling (or not filling). Drop the avocado, bacon, butter (except to cook with), heavy cream, cheeses. I rarely eat bacon now. I think I’ve had some in the past few months. I usually eat low carb ham (gotta be careful with ham, as some of it is quite carby) instead.

Awww…this just made me smile :slight_smile: I am so happy for you! KCKO and keep fixing yourself! It’s an awesome feeling and only keeps getting better.

(Marianne) #14

Hi Benny, I’m so sorry your are discouraged. I’ve been on just a few days longer than you and my weight loss has been a lot slower than I hoped and anticipated. Although my weight loss has been slow, I do find, however, that I am feeling much better and have a lot of non-scale victories to be grateful for. Are you tracking? Are you following macros? I only ask, not because these are requirements, but because they have helped me look back over the month+ I’ve been on this and examine where I might need to make some adjustments. For me, following macros in the beginning was a good guideline to approximate the kind and amount of foods I wanted to incorporate into a day. Sometimes I have gone back and calculated what I did eat on some of the days I didn’t track, and have discovered in a lot of cases, I have been way over on protein and fat than what is suggested for my height, weight and amount I need to lose. Like you, I don’t seem to have much trouble with the carbs, so it must be likely something is off with the other two. I have gotten sloppy with tracking lately but admit I did find it helpful when I was doing it.

Sometimes when I get discouraged, I think “what’s the point,” or maybe I can have a “little” of this… Then it comes back to me that a “little” of any of my trigger foods is going to take me right back down that horrible rabbit hole of addiction, depression and desperation. I don’t know of any alternative besides keto. I certainly know Weight Watchers and all the other “diets” were impossible for me to stay on. Last time my weight was manageable was 11 years ago and I gained all of my weight back within a year of that. It has taken me that long since, being depressed about my weight and feeling out of control most every moment of every day since then before I found keto and had the energy and motivation to start. Right now, I just cannot return to that soul sickness. It is truly awful. God bless and I hope you break your cycle soon.

Just thought I’d check in again. Continuing to see some great results. As of today I am now 38lbs lighter. I weigh in every Monday. Today I weighed in at 335 pounds! I am also measuring inches and from last week to this week I saw an overall decrease of 1.75" as well!

Was able to mark off a few non-scale victories as well. I flew for work last week and for the first time in a LONG TIME I didn’t have to use a seat belt extender. Also, went out to lunch after church with friends and was able to fit in a booth!

For anyone new on the Keto lifestyle change I STRONGLY recommend setting both weight & non-scale victories to keep you motivated.

Would it be anything anyone would be interested in if when I do my weigh in next Monday I did a before & after picture showing my progress through 8 weeks?

(Deborah ) #16

What a great, uplifting post! Congratulations on your loss so far, and keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

Edited to Add: We always love pics! :slight_smile:

(Marianne) #17

Awesome! I think before and after pictures are great! I’d post them; if people aren’t interested, they won’t check out the thread. My bet is that people enjoy seeing b&a pictures.