Kelly fasting with me for first time!

(carl) #1

I ate last night. She ate two nights ago.
Me: BG=84. Ketones=1.0
Kelly: BG=87. Ketones=1.1

(Tim) #2

Awesome! How long are you planning on fasting for?

(carl) #3

I’ll go at least until Friday, at my 50th birthday party. :slight_smile:
No idea how long Kelly will last.

That’s great, enjoy the ketones!

Awesome! And Friday’s birthday is a great goal for the week. Happy birthday to you!!!

(Anderson Herzogenrath Da Costa) #6

I started last night too.
My BG this morning was 86
I don’t have any ketone strip left but blowing 0.16% BAC on breathalyzer.

(Sonia A.) #7

Happy birthday @carl :tada::confetti_ball::tada:.

I hope the years to come are better for you than the ones you left behind and that they will be full of happy and healthy moments. You deserve it, you and @richard for everything that you’re doing for the diabetics and the keto community. Thanks :blush:.

(carl) #8

She just ended it after 48 hours. Not bad for her first time.

(Tim) #9

Not bad at all.

Also, can I just say it’s super inspiring to see you & @richard get into longer multi-day fasts. I only discovered the podcast halfway through the monster 60 day fast I completed a few weeks back, but both the podcast and this forum have been invaluable tools for me while trying to take back control of my own health.

While what I did was a bit extreme, the benefits I saw from extended fasting both physically and psychologically have been numerous, and my hope is that you both have similar experiences.

Nothing blasts through a plateau like an extended fast.

(Richard Morris) #10

I did a 10 day fast once - that was about my limit. But I do fall comfortably into a 72 hr fast.

When I got home from Ketofest I found that Jules was on hour 70 of a 72 hour fast, and that was her first time fasting past 24 hours.

(carl) #11

5-day was my limit, but I’m working up to a longer one.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #12

@JorgePasada I did a 46-day fast last spring so I have to admire your accomplishment!

Tell me, what was the worst part? For me it was the mind games my brain played with me with the “That one bite will taste pretty good!”

(Tim) #13

Messing up my salt/water intake during week two. For a couple days I was drinking 6 to 8 liters of water a day because I couldn’t tell the difference between ‘l’m thirsty’ and ‘I need salt’. I got that fixed somewhere around the end of the second week. Mid to late week 3 once the ketones got high enough, I assume at least because I didn’t get my meter until day 44, everything was smooth sailing for me and even on day 60 I felt like I could go for another 30.

That and putting up with everyone telling me I was killing myself and ruining my metabolism. Although my girlfriend started calling it ‘spite fasting’ at some point because all the negativity actually motivated me to prove everyone wrong.

The one advantage extremely long fasts have over shorter ones is how much easier they are psychologically. Starting and stopping all the time takes a ton of time, energy, and effort for most people, even more so if you’re not fully fat adapted. I found, once I hit a sufficient level of ketosis, maintaining the fast was just… easy.

That being said, I don’t think long fasts are necessary, and I’ll have done something seriously wrong if I ever have the fat on me to do a fast of that length again. From what I’ve been reading it seems the bulk of the benefits of fasting peak somewhere between 3 and 7 days for most people, so I imagine you could get the same benefit by stringing multiple shorter fasts together. I just found it psychologically easier to do everything all at once.

(Mark Rhodes) #14

Great Start!
I am on my second fast and my wife just finished her first.

My first was 48 hours. Currently I am at 60 hrs. Not sure if I will finish at 72 or 85. I never was cognizant of how many cues I took in to eat prior to fasting. I work 4 minutes from home and go home during lunch to walk my dogs. While home I would grab some salami and mayo OR macadamia nuts. Fasting I wouldn’t be hungry until I pulled into the driveway and then I would be ravenous! Like Pavlov’s dog! Same thing after working in the yard, i step into the house and look for a nibble.

Now I can look over my patterns and food logs and see HOW those extras get into my nutrition. Fasting has helped me see that I could eat larger meals and no longer reward myself with snacks.

(Sonia A.) #15

I did a 13 days fast when I was a gluco-burner. Then, I didn’t know about that magical thing that is salt, it was a water only fast. It reversed my T2D. I think I could go longer now. I will definitely have to try soon.

@carl and @richard, are you still doing the fasting/feasting protocol that you were talking about on one of your podcasts ? And if so, how is it going ?

(carl) #16

I’m back at feasting/fast cycling now after a long period of feasting that started after Ketofest. Feels great, and really works.

(Teresa Driver) #17

Go, Kelly, go!