Just wanted to say hello

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on this forum for a little bit now and just figured I should say hi.

I decided to try the Keto diet at the beginning of the year, Jan 2020. I had been himming and hawing over it for the past 2 years while my dad did it with the notion in my head that “I could NEVER do that.” My diet was literally carbs - bread, pasta, potatoes. But I watched my dad’s weight plummet and saw that the food selection wasn’t all bad. I just needed to get over the fact that bread, pasta and potatoes aren’t everything.

I’ve also been on a wild roller coaster my entire life in regards to weight loss. I would lose weight, gain it back, lose weight, gain more back. It’s a miserable feeling. I’ve also always wanted to just eat healthier, fresh food in general but never been able to… So while I do hope Keto helps me lose weight for good, I’m also hoping to just clean my system overall and be better about my food.

Like I said, I started Jan 1, 2020 with a weight of 180 lbs. I’m female and I’m about 5 foot 2 inches. I would like to get to a weight around 130 or 140 lbs, if possible? As of this morning (Feb 11, 2020) I am 166 lbs and have lost 1 inch in the arms, 1 inch around the chest, 2 inches around the waist and 1 inch from my butt.

Sorry for the long winded introduction, but I figured I should put it out there to start holding myself accountable. :slight_smile:

(Polly) #2

Hi @Linkin. Welcome to this forum.

Well done on your inch loss so far.

(Rebecca ) #3

Welcome!!! It sounds like you are doing very well so far!!! There is no doubt about there being some great foods in this lifestyle!!!

(Bob M) #4

That’s a great weight loss rate!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #5

Great job on your progress so far and welcome to the forum!

(Susan) #6

Welcome to the forum Linkin =).

You are off to a great start, congrats and all the best in the rest of your journey -we are all here to encourage you, so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

(Jill F.) #7

Welcome and congrats! If your progress slows soon dont get discouraged. We all plataue at times and it will pass. Sounds like you are off to a great start!

(Deborah) #8

Welcome, Welcome, welcome and your already doing Grea :smile:

Welcome. Isnt it MARVELOUS?

(Marianne) #10

Your story really rang true for me; I can so relate. Throw some sugar in there, too.

I’ve been on keto now for a year and find the food to be so delicious. The meal possibilities are endless. I don’t miss the other stuff now. If you haven’t tried it, keto pizza tastes as close to the carby version as you can get. I make the easy version where the crust is only four eggs and 6 oz. of cheese, baked separately, and then toppings added.

Yup; that’s most of us here. Horrible.

If you are interested, the “success stories” on dietdoctor.com are very motivational. It is clear when you read these people’s stories, that they know firsthand the hell of obesity and food addiction. I think I’ve read every one like four times over.

Sounds like you are doing great; keep up the good work!

Thank you for the welcomes, everyone. I really am excited about all this and can’t wait to see how it all goes. I’m just really glad that I found this forum to help answer any questions I may have. :smiley:

Hi @Linkin, and welcome. I don’t post much but you’re absolutely right that it’s a nice, supportive, informative forum.

Just wanted to try to course correct a bit regarding the above quote: IMHO holding yourself accountable indicates that you expect keto to take willpower, something that you’re determined to find. I’d suggest instead that it takes almost NO willpower quite soon after starting, because hunger decreases, cravings disappear, calories ought not to be counted, and the food is delicious. What’s hard about sticking to that?!
Not that you know me :slight_smile: but trust me anyways: if it took willpower more than anything else, no way would I have lasted this long or been this successful!

(NADIA GOODMAN) #13

I too “lurk about” and you have Inspired me to share my situation which I will do in another post.
But thank you and well done. The weight element is for sure a massive feature of Keto/LCHF but how you feel is key to everything. That learning about yourself is so rewarding.

(Marianne) #14

So true. That is the beauty of keto. I feel so bad for these people eating stuff they don’t care for and not getting enough food, or exercising eve though they hate it.

(Istvanne Papp) #15

Hi, I have tried a few diets, but keto has worked well last. I started a year ago in January with about 84 kg, and I went down to about 62 by June. I kept walking on a daily basis about an hour, no exercises. It has worked well. Keep doing it!