Just started. Need some advice, reassurance

If low carb gave you great results in the past, then why switch to Carnivore?
-Outside of exercising how much water do you drink?
-When you feel nauseous and back pain presents what colour is your urine? Dark is not good, off-yellow is better. (Kidney function)
-Maybe time to replace you shoes?

-Could the back pain be stress related?

No problem!

Alexander the Great, and apologies for being cryptic!

Keep her lit brother.

(watchmen)

(Jax Kovak) #24

I switched to carnivore because the vast majority of carbs (breads, potatoes, rice, pastas and lot of veg) cause some rather unpleasant intestinal distress, something which, I am happy to report, does not happen at all on carnivore.

I drink around 5-6 pints of water per day and I don’t force it, its only when I’m thirsty. Exercise is walking a minimum of 3 miles.

Urine is a good light straw colour pretty much all the time, only slightly darker when I first wake up.

Shoes, potentially a good call that I might have considered myself, but the trainers I wear right now are only a few months old. As for stress related, well sure, I guess many things could be stress related, but Id be hard pressed to come up with exactly what it is other than being too hot for my liking right now, and there really is not a lot I can do about that!

coopdawg
Aha! No, did not get that. I’m none too fond of super hero movies and the like, Id far rather see the comic books, but a lot of them are going dramatically downhill now as well. Things aint what they used to be, thats for sure!

I would suggest you keep a journal and write down when it presents, how it presents, Time of day, scale of pain 1-10, food eaten before and after. I found out that I can wear my stress. Low back is where my stress shows up. Customers, staff, payroll, cashflow, family and kids etc… can all add to my stress level. It was my Dr. that discovered I wear my stress on my right side lower back.

Cool!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

I think listening to your body trumps the advice. What works well for many people doesn’t always work for a few outliers. For example, most carnivores find themselves just not wanting to add salt to their meals after a certain point, but we have at least one member who’s been carnivore for some time and still craves salt. It can be very individual. So again, listen to your body; that should work better for you.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Poor arch support can cause problems. You might want to try inserts that support your arches a little more. May not help, but I don’t think it will hurt.

(Jax Kovak) #29

Yeah Iv been keeping a journal but I’ve only got 8 days worth so far. Doesn’t seem to be any specific pattern, but Ill keep going and see if one emerges. If its stress I’m not sure what to do about it!

Sound advice I think. Ill go by what feels right as the time comes, and as for foot support I might look into it, but Iv worn these kinds of trainers for years without issue. Could be age related when it comes to it! :rofl:

Thanks to all for the replies, its helped.

Regards

Jax

(Bob M) #30

A high fat meal? If so, try something leaner next time, lean meat mainly, and see what happens.

(Eve) #31

@Jax_Kovak Lower back pain can be a sign of something up with the kidneys . So over or under dehydration, or too much salt. If it continues and you are concerned, you can ask your doc for a basic panel of kidney function blood tests. How is your blood pressure?

(Jax Kovak) #32

Not crazily so no. I’m probably (guessing) about 10% fat most of the time, perhaps a little more depending on the meats I get.

Understood, however this pain is a fair bit lower than my kidneys, basically at the top of my butt. I doubt that I’m dehydrated and I only drink when thirsty and as for my blood pressure, no idea. I will certainly get to the docs if it keep on for more than a week or so, but right now I’m putting it down to my back trying to come to terms with my weight loss, which is pretty good at the moment (visually, I don’t even own scales).

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Jax

Jebus. I really don’t know.

Any history of gout? That would suggest a propensity of kidney stones big guy.
I’m sorry, I don’t know. But you do need tests I think…

(Kirk Wolak) #34

@Jax_Kovak I’ve gotten back pain from some foods. Like fish. About 2 days after eating it, and it lasted a couple of days.

That feeling in your stomach could be a big microbiome adjustment. I felt this when I tried Metformin. Also, if I eat Lamb Ribs (with all that wonderful fat). It turns out, I can’t break down the lamb fat properly. Leaner lamb doesn’t bother me. But I would describe it as a “Greasy” stomach (it’s a queasy stomach, but linked to the fats. You can take a decent dose of MCT oil, to do a comparison. Just beware the disaster pants!)

Like others mentioned, it could be too much lean or too much fat… OR oxalate dumping. I will second the Tea suggestion.

When I first went carnivore, I was drinking Iced Tea, I had come from a HEAVY vegetable + lean protein place. And the oxalate dumping led me to unconsciously wanting the iced tea… At some point, I lost my taste for the Iced Tea. Then a strange thing happened. It started giving me headaches when I had it. (Either tannins or oxalates, but I would bet oxalates).

Welcome to the group… YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)…

(Jax Kovak) #35

No, nothing like that and as I said, the pain is way to low for kidneys, its kind of on the top edge of my butt cheeks.

Well this turned out to be an interesting thing. The pain came on again today after my morning walk and about 2 hours later I remember this suggestion and gave it a try, and within about 10 minutes the vast majority of the pain had gone entirely!

So it would see that it could well be oxalate dumping although quite why its attacking that particular part of my back, kind of the very top edge of my hips, I don’t understand. Anyway, for now it would seem that a cup of tea is something of a cure, so Ill carry on and monitor what happens.

Thanks everyone for your input and thanks PaulL for suggesting the tea, it appears to have been a very good call indeed.

Regards

Jax

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Another thing to look at is arch support. If our shoes don’t properly support our feet, we can feel the consequences in unexpected places.

(B Creighton) #37

A drink I use is ground whole lemon, water, and stevia sweetener to taste. The citrates should help eliminate the oxalates if that is the issue. Like Eve, I thought it could be a kidney stone or two, but you kind of shot down this idea by where your pain is. However, this lemonade could also help eliminate a kidney issue. However, it is beginning to sound like your pain is not from the soft tissues of your back, so may be neither oxalates nor stones. Is the pain on both sides? It is not at the spine?

(Mike W.) #38

Why not see a Chiropractor or physical Therapist for the pain?

I would suggest, Jax, a bit of jiggin n jivin’ to some (not so) old school music, lol.

A bit of green tea and turn the volume up.

:slight_smile:

The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil (Official Video) [4K] - YouTube

Just until the soltice is over, lol.