Just saying hi, and a mild introduction

(CharleyD) #1

I’ll try to keep this succinct and pithy! :innocent:

Charley here. Behind the bulging front lines in the ginormously obese state of Alabama.

I’ve been keto (and spontaneously, deliberately irregularly, Fasting) since the new year and started back practicing taekwondo after a 20 year hiatus at the same time. (I’ve taken class at every stage of LCHF-IF, but the best performance for me was after 2-3 heaping tablespoons of coconut oil blended into coffee, even decaf [sparring with more boundless energy than as a teenager is just mind-blowing])

SV: I just need 9 lbs or so to be considered a ‘normal’ BMI and get insurance/work off my back for good. All metabolic/lipid markers improved as we expect. My weight peaked at 257 over the past few years is 190 now and and slowly dropping.

NSVs: 40 inch waist to 33 now on a 5’11" frame. Confounding carb burning sparring partners. Fattening Kindle content list of books related to this WOE, and now I’m hooked on this podcast thing. To the point where I’m compelled to pledge at Patreon even!

Issues: Degenerative arthrosis in all Lumbar and Sacral discs, have had laminectomy at L5-S1, and scar tissue causes chronic pain. I’m now a patient in a multidisciplinary clinic, who practice LCHF :exploding_head: but let’s say some things just can’t regenerate fully. If you can avoid scar tissue, then do. If you can’t, then remodel it like a maniac.

Alrighty, enough about me, thanks y’all for providing this resource and I will do my part to not poop on it enhance it where possible!

(John Somsky aka KetoGrinder) #2

Welcome. Great progress!

(Rick) #3

Welcome!!

(Donna ) #4

Hi and welcome! :wave:t2::smiley:

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #5

Hi @Dipper_Actual welcome and great work

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

Hi @Dipper_Actual! Welcome to the forum!

Hey Charley, welcome from a fellow Alabamian! You must be in B’ham to have found a clinic that supports LCHF! Lucky you!

(Darlene Horsley) #8

Hi from Georgia, Charley! We’re neighbors.
Welcome to the hood. :wink:

(CharleyD) #9

Hey @Virginia yeah :slight_smile:

(CharleyD) #10

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

I am also new here! I’m glad to see your success!

(CharleyD) #12

Thanks and welcome, @Emerymemories

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Welcome! Sounds as though you’re doing very well.

(CharleyD) #14

@PaulL yeah, I consider the best indicator of ketones hitting the brain is my craving to read about this stuff. Every paycheck or so I snag another book. As well as try to get these steaks right with my IR grill:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Wow! That looks yummy! :thumbsup:

(CharleyD) #16

You gotta get the diamonds right. That’s the secret!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #17

Welcome!

(Jayne Thompson) #18

I want to intermittant fast and I’m afraid I won’t be able too…mostly head hunger is my issue with this any suggestions about how to deal with head hunger?

(CharleyD) #19

Coffee and tea, are the usual recommendations. I also keep a gallon jug at my desk at work and home and drink out of a quart sized thermos and get four drinks in over the day. That’ll engage the stomach stretch receptors a tad over the day. I also shoot a little salt when I get bored, or after a walk around the parking lot.

IF doesn’t mean an absolute embargo on taking anything in. You’re very much recommended to keep vitamins and electrolytes coming in.

The biggest help to doing One Meal a Day is to have a largish meal before. The metabolism likes Feast and Famine. The easiest way for me to do OMAD is a large breakfast, 6 eggs, 6 slices of bacon, coffee throughout the day with a little blip of cream and I can go until tomorrow’s b’fast.

Sound yummy?

(Jayne Thompson) #20

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I enjoy breakfast and if I have a big one I don’t feel hungry until late afternoon and then a protein shake does the trick… Do you drink protein shakes? I had barriatric surgery 2 1/2 years ago and lost 100# and have now lost 15# on Keto and drink protein powder in my coffee every morning.