Just saying hi, and a mild introduction

(CharleyD) #21

I’m not a fan of shakes. I had a few Slim-Fast about 20 years ago and it threw me off them :sweat_smile:

I enjoy just eating real whole food and feel I’m pretty successful as I only eat when I’m hungry. My concern, valid or not admittedly, is that if I were to go the protein shake route I may slip in more protein than I really need for my activity level, and bring up glucose levels.

I’ve let my hunger guide me, as well as eyeballing Blood Urea Nitrogen and Creatinine levels which are normal. And when hungry, I’ll scrounge some meat usually.

Funny thing is I bet our satiation signals are close to the same. I could eat a whole block of cream cheese and not really feel full, or my quick guac recipe (2 hass avocados, plenty sour cream, salt, lime, spices) with chicharrones and not feel really sated, but a few ounces of shrimp, mussels, beef, or sashimi, and I’m DONE till tomorrow.

(Jayne Thompson) #22

I am wanting to quit the protein shakes and I don’t know what to put in my coffee I always add collagen because of hair loss…maybe I just need to buck up and put some cream or butter in my coffee. Sure enjoy you feedback…Thanks.

(CharleyD) #23

So the dudes have their KCKO mantra…

Mine has been ‘You Will Be OK’ and once you’ve really internalized it, you can do anything.

You begin to appreciate the wonderfully designed machine of your body and notice that it has programs like autophagy and increased norepinephrine that you can engage through fasting, that feel INCREDIBLE. Once you’ve had a taste, you’ll be hooked but you’ve got to persevere through the uncharted waters there to get to it. You Will Be OK.

(CharleyD) #24

Bone broth has a lot of those other elements, collagen, gelatin, glucosamine, chondroitin that our bodies like to get from natural sources and coming from bone supposedly makes it more bioavailable…

You’ll need to save bones from meals and not mind the smell of roasted bones. Mrs Dipper has not allowed it thus far. So I chew up a bit of rib bones and cartilage when we eat BBQ, which is ubiquitous here in the South. (a good St Louis style preparation of ribs will make the bones soft.)