Just found this cheesecake recipe

(Denise) #1

I gotta try this for a special dessert :wink:

Looks great : ) Bit faffy, but if it was for an occasion of some sort then I could probably be bothered xD

Cheesecake was always one of my only real ‘sweet’ cravings… especially the chocolate variety ; )

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I’ve got a couple of good sugar-free, low-carbohydrate cheesecake recipes. One is a pumpkin cheesecake from the Recipes forum here, the other is a New-York-style cheesecake that came from Harlan Kilstein’s site. (He has a lot of keto recipes.)

The important thing when using sugar-free recipes is to use the brand of non-sugar sweetener the recipe calls for, since they all have different degrees of sweetness, and the recipe has been optimised to take that into account. I didn’t realise this at first, and eventually had to convert the sweetness in the recipes from the sweetener given into an equivalent amount of sugar, and then from that amount of sugar into the equivalent amount of the brand of stevia/erythritol that I prefer.

(Bob M) #4

Personally, whenever I make a recipe the first time, I follow it exactly. I want to see what the original person intended. After that, I might make changes, some beneficial, some deleterious.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

That’s what I generally do, as well. But in the case of the cheesecake, I was ignorant about how different sweeteners can be in their sweetening power.

When I did my research, I also learned that sometimes recipes depend on a chemical property of sucrose, not just on its sweetening power, and in such a case, it is very tricky to make it sugar-free (I think you have to use allulose, but don’t quote me!).

(Laurie) #6

One good thing about cheesecake is that it’s kind of foolproof. You don’t need sugar (or lots of adjustments) to achieve the proper texture. As you do with, say, regular cakes or cookies.

(Bob M) #7

@PaulL Paul, that’s definitely true about sugar. It’s like for ice cream, which is less hard due to the sugar. Someone recommended for fake ice cream using all allulose, but I haven’t tried that yet. I also don’t know how allulose will affect me, as I don’t think I’ve eaten anything with that much allulose in it. Artificial sweeteners are tough, as sometimes I swear there’s no effect, and other times, I think there is.

(Jane) #8

Allulose comes the closest to replicating the hpysical properties of sugar of any artificial sweeteners I’ve cooked with. I even made cranberry sauce out of fresh cranberries one Thanskgiving with allulose and it turned out just fine.

Oh I didn’t know that… But it can’t be nearly as significant as the individual factor. So we just should make it right for ourselves with our chosen sweetener.
When I still made sweet desserts from recipes, I looked at the recipe, wondered if I should divide the amount of sweetener by 4 or 8 and sometimes I swapped xylitol with erythritol :smiley: And if it was too sweet, I just lowered the amount the next time. If it was not enough sweet, I just add more sweetener on top, still okay. Or considered it training :wink: I always tried to use as little sweetener as comfortably possible. It’s not food…

I usually change about 5 major things :smiley: But not always. I made zillion recipes so I have experience and I know what I like. I never ever use the original amount of sweetness, it’s overkill even if it’s from a ketoer. I changed very quickly when I cut out added sugar. Even my high-carber SO with sweets and fruits all the time (he eats a ton of raisins) couldn’t eat such sweet things, he changed too since not using added sugar. Our sweetness perception is still very near but while he expect his sweet desserts to be properly sweet, I don’t, sweetish is enough.

Cheesecakes are nice. I made a few ones in my life but I don’t need them. My main dessert is some creamy coffee now. But maybe one day I make another again. Just not such a fancy one, carnivore made me lazy (and turned off my desire towards most desserts. even if I am off, I am not particularly interested).

Oh yes. I realized I never will be able to make a meringue… Don’t ask me why I wanted to make that though probably the texture :smiley: Impossible. Fortunately adding walnut makes a lovely thing and the sugar/sweetener has a way less important role so I have a cute recipe now for December when I clearly go off carnivore. December is that type of month…
Ice cream is trickier without sugar too (did I do a sugary one in my life I wonder… probably not) but still doable. It may be different but still good enough.
Cheesecake doesn’t depend on sugar or substitute either, at least I liked my not very sweet versions just fine.
Recipes depending on caramelization are out, of course (well at least if one has access only to the sweeteners I have…? I never found allulose). And I have no idea if it was me but I couldn’t make a really good icing without sugar (never tried it with sugar. I am like this, I never made a not keto cheesecake either).

Oh. Is those different with sugar? I couldn’t bake on high-carb so I can’t know but low-carb cakes are easy, a little sweetener works too. I use my own recipes though :wink: I suppose using walnut instead of flour already makes a huge difference :wink: But what else would I use, walnut is wonderful (okay I use other oily seeds in smaller amounts)… I never would buy almond flour, it’s meh and super expensive, it was on sale once and I tried a little. Not bad but if I had that money, I would buy ruminant meat. Walnut makes wonderful cakes.
I am no good with cookies, my baked things tend to get soft, no matter what. I am good at soft.

The cheesecake in the recipe looks superb, too much work for lazy me and I am all about taste and texture anyway - but it’s really pretty. I like to look at such videos and then not making the stuff.

But why would the inferior, bad sugar make an ice cream real? Ice cream is ice cream even if we do it richer and tastier, it didn’t become fake from it…
Just because the original is sugary, it’s not the only real one! No one will persuade me about it :slight_smile: You have the right to call it fake I suppose but I have the right to protect my ice cream’s honor! :upside_down_face: