Just finished firstweek and down only a pound?

Hi everyone! I’ve finished my first week and I’m only down 1 pound (and I can fluctuate around a pound from one day to the next). I’ve been tracking my macros (70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, and 20 carbs. I’ve been using keto sticks (urinalysis) and they’re showing I’m in keto. Any idea what I can do or what I may be doing wrong? It’s a bit discouraging because I’ve seen people on here lose 5-10 lbs in their first week.

One week seems too early to tell and I wouldn’t trust any claims on real weight loss in the first month. That is likely a lot of water weight being shed. Relax a bit and enjoy the ride. Pee less on those sticks. I think you’re going to drive yourself bonkers. You’re doing fine!

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #3

Keep going for 6-8 weeks, then come back and reply to this thread! Best advice you’ll get.

Oh yeah, and stop peeing on sticks and just enjoy the lifestyle for a while. The first few months are the best and easiest! You’ll be fine.

(Ashley) #4

Weight depends on weightloss needed etc everyone is different.

I’m about 177, 5’5" so I have a bit to go. I hope it’ll start working soon! Could it be possible in any way I’m retaining water somehow?

(Ashley) #6

Let me put it to you this way, your body is adjusting. Most people do not experience a 5-10lb weightloss in the first week. And if they do a large portion of that is water. I did experience it, but I also started out 251 lbs so I started out 60+ lbs ahead of you. Most people who lose that much that quick have a lot more weight to lose and most of it is just water fluctuation. The people you see loosing 20+ lbs a month usually are quite larger. That’s my opinion anyways. Some are lucky and lose quickly as a smaller size, and them my friend are “unicorns.”

(Diane) #7

If you’re a woman, if you’re older, or if you’ve done a lot of calorie restricted dieting in the past, there can be metabolic damage or hormone imbalances that need healing before your body prioritizes weight loss. Also, men tend to lose weight more quickly, while women tend to see more body recomposition early on (adding bone mass or muscle mass). Since the scale only shows weight loss, it’s a more subtle improvement. Paying attention to other signs of success like decreasing body measurements and clothes that fit more loosely can help one recognize these other types of improvements.

You’re very early on in your journey. I think you’re doing well! Hang in there!

(Casey Crisler) #8

“Hi everyone! I’ve finished my first week and I’m only down 1 pound (and I can fluctuate around a pound from one day to the next)“

It took nearly a month for me to see any real weight loss (5 pounds). That was in May. Today I am down exactly 40 pounds. Don’t be discouraged and don’t worry about other people’s progress. Everyone’s body reacts differently. Keep the carbs low and carry on.

(Thurston ) #9

Give this woe a chance. I’m one of the lucky ones and lost weight quickly. I’m about 4 months in and I don’t see any end in sight to this.

I’m down a bit over 60 lbs in that time. I stick pretty religiously to 20 carbs per day. A Type 2 diagnosis in March has put me on this journey. I urge you to stick with it, don’t cheat and bet you’ll see results.

Good luck and keto on!!

Thank you so much for your support everyone! I won’t give up :grinning: I’ll keep on with my keto journey!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #11

KCKO

And throw out the scale to save your sanity.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

Motorcycle avatar. Dirtbike.

:heart:

(Thurston ) #13

Yeah thanks I love mx but my last injuries put me into retirement at 56 years old. My brother and several friends are still going strong at 60!

Sleeping in a chair for a month with busted ribs a punctured lung and fractured hip convinced me to spectate not participate.

If I keep losing and get in better shape I may rethink that though.

I just want to say thank you for saying this!
I am on the look out for other women living with the keto lifestyle and wondering how it affects our weight loss among other things compared to men. I don’t know a single other woman at all (aside from other ladies on this forum) who is as committed to it as I am so this is great.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #15

So what happened, @Lunagirl? #curious

:slight_smile: