Just blacked-out for a second and fell down is that normal?

newbies

(Take Control Momma) #1

Been on keto for less than a week . Starting wt 264 lbs, lost 4 lbs already, was having stomach cramps since morning today. Had water n salt and pumpkin seeds for magnesium. No help really. I stood up and…got dizzy and was on the floor. Blood pressure has always been normal, HbA1C 5.7, thyroid et al normal. I do have venous incompetence and a venous ucler that I’m trying to fix with keto ( and medico-surgical help… doc says to urgently loose weight or we’ll have to go for drastic measures.)
Never fell like that ever before. Is that part of the transition? I’ve started peeing like a horse and my jawline is back so I believe I’m in transit.
Is coconut milk the culprit? It does have natural maltodextrin…

(Alex ) #2

might be transition side effects @Shilpi_D , but I’d highly recommend seeing your Doc before you adhere to too much advice on here, unless someone is qualified to give medical advice - plenty of reasons in your post to suggest running everything by your Doc first.

I get dizziness if I stand up REALLY quick on an empty stomach, but have never had it so strong that I’ve taken a fall, and definitely not due to carb withdrawal.

Keto is generally a very sound food based lifestyle, made more potentially difficult by the previous way of eating you may have been following, but check with your med professional.

Might just be worth looking at your baseline nutrition - and as a lot of people say here, keep well hydrated, and get plenty of electrolytes in - use a supplement if needed for potassium, sodium and calcium.

Good luck, always be safe first!

(Bunny) #3

Sounds like it is more related to the CVI valves causing that not the diet which might get better with weight loss?

(Todd Allen) #4

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension.

(Candy Lind) #5

@Shilpi_D - THIS.

I had dizziness problems early on due to dehydration (that pee-like-a-horse thing) and electrolyte imbalance, but not to the point of passing out. I think the dehydration was the worst part of it; coupled with my borderline-low BP, I just didn’t have enough blood volume, and my heart was having a hard time getting everything around.

More water sure can’t hurt you, and neither can more salt - your body will slough it off if there’s enough water available and there’s more salt than you need. Also, stop supplementing potassium if you are doing it without a doctor’s advice. It’s really easy to get too much.

I agree that seeing a doc to have cellular level electrolytes (not serum) checked would be a good idea. Serum levels are highly variable; what you need to know is if your cells are able to move nutrients freely in & out.