June 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

Last time I saw her I had just started keto, and couldn’t have had an intelligent conversation about it if you held a gun to my head. This time, I’ll have the results to show her, and the knowledge to discuss it. It would be great if she was on board and passed it along to other patients.

Welcome, @Testudine. Since you’ve been reading the post/threads, you’ll no doubt see there’s a great group of folks here and well supporting of each other. :+1:

(Brian McPherson) #496

G’day All,
After starting Keto in Jan this year I’ve gone from 108kg to 90kg weighing today. I’m feeling great. I have been patient which has been the key to this lifestyle change and even to my surprise my wife is slowly getting on board with the change as she can see the impact it’s had on my appearance.
I had a stall roughly a month ago so I started IF. It’s only since I started doing a couple of 72 hours fasts that I’ve seen my results bear fruits and I have shredded those extra kilos.
These latest 72hr fasts have been relatively comfortable to complete and I could have continued on.
I would say to those trying a fast have ago as they make a big difference especially in my case.
In future I’m going to plan to do at least a couple of these fasts every month as I feel great during and after.
Happy Fasting
Cheers
Macca

Welcome, @AussieMacca. Congrats on your current loss so far, and always nice to hear when a spouse joins in on the journey. :+1:

I was planning on starting another fast this morning, but someone really wanted to have a lunch date with me this weekend. So I agreed to today and will start after lunch today. I’ve never done that, so I’m not quite sure whether my brain will be fully expecting dinner or whether I’ll be fine since I ate lunch and I’m full enough.

I’ll go until Monday lunchtime for sure, but maybe I can stretch to Tuesday since I’m starting later. Plunging into the unknown here.

I hope it’s a productive fast, because I’m starting with a net gain of 1/2 lb. after the re-gain from my last fast. That happens to me occasionally, but there’s no logic to it, so I find it really frustrating. Right now I’m just holding on to at least two pounds for no reason–and have some really jiggly spots to prove it! :grin:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #499

Likely water weight. Sometimes the body does not want to give up weight. Eventually it will flow away. Try not to get frustrated with a 1/2 lb. Lbs happen to the best of us.

(Jane) #500

Excellent numbers!!!

(Jane) #501

If you are asking for additional labs, ask for your fasting insulin so you can calculate your HOMA score of insulin resistance.

Adding to list! Thanks!

Beginning a new extended fast, feeling a bit unwell today, joint pain in hands worse than it’s been since starting Keto 4 mo ago, not sure if the joint pain is dietary related as I’ve been pretty careful to avoid allergens or possibly related to hormone fluctuations…hoping the fast will quickly squelch the inflammation :slightly_smiling_face: I would like to make it a week long fast, going to do at least 48hrs then take it day by day.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #505

I hope you figure it out soon.

At 84 hours now. Still feeling good. Taking it one hour at a time. The sun isn’t blazing yet, so I’ve got my front door open, and I’m enjoying the birdsong.

Weight went up a bit since yesterday’s new low, but I know it’s just a minor fluctuation. KCFO!

Is it hot where you are? I was just reading yesterday (either here or on a fibro forum) that heat makes your tissues swell and causes inflammation.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #508

Just started my first 3-day fast. @daddyoh pointed me to this topic: thanks.

(Jane) #509

Wishing you an easy fast!

It has been really hot and humid here, heat does generally make me feel less than stellar!

Funny thing for me is… the heat doesn’t bother me much if I’m working in the Yard or Garden, like I’ve been for the past few hrs., but sure does when I’m just chilling, trying to watch some TV or something.

Planning to start a Fast today, after eating something here shortly…

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #512

gosh I fell off so hard, missed a lot of stuff… very moved month. I’ll hope I’ll get some fasting in before traveling…

(Jane Srygley) #513

Last fast before vacation. I’m on hour 20 of 29. Anyone tried fasting on vacation? I’m considering it… We leave Saturday. I’m sure my partner won’t be fasting but I’m thinking of doing some IF at least. I don’t usually do that. So far, I’ve found 24 hour fasts a LOT easier than 18:6 etc., though my goal is to work up to that type of schedule.

(KCKO, KCFO) #514

I do fasting for 36-42 hrs. before starting a vacation, easy to fast on an airplane for me, I hate airplane food. I just try to make the best decision about foods available where ever I am. Then do another fast afterwards to undo any damage that might have occurred while vacationing. I always do IFing because most breakfasts at hotels etc. are so carb heavy. just do coffee and have a nice lunch that is as keto as possible. I don’t put on weight when I vacation now, in fact a couple of times I have lost a couple of lbs.

Enjoy yourself and don’t stress out that is very important too.