July 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Susan) #296

Congrats on the 60+ Carol and you have a nice weekend as well =).

(Susan) #297

I am posting on the July Zornfast 2019 thread. I started Wed night at 11 pm and will go till Saturday. I am at 24 hours and doing fine. I will sleep soon so that will make things easy for a while. I never eat when i get up so thereā€™s that too. I have decided that because i ate bad carbs on Wednesday I will allow myself 1Tsp of bacon fat if I canā€™t resist eating. That should help.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #298

Broke fast at 52hrs
BG: 68
BK: 3.1
GKI: 1.2

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #299

Iā€™m also in the camp that switching things us is helpful. 72 hrs is a win. KCKO

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #300

Nice GKI

(Susan) #301

Well done, 52 hours is great =).

(Failed) #302

Iā€™m on day 5 of my first fast. I donā€™t know how long I will go, as my goal is normal morning BGs for several days before refeeding.

So far, Iā€™ve lost 8.5 lbs, and my morning BGs have looked like this:
270 day 1
197 day 2
209 day 3
162 day 4
123 day 5

Before starting general low carb in June, they were in the 400s. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 30 years ago (Iā€™m 69) but after repeated horrific experiences (for a variety of issues for every member of my family-but thatā€™s a whole other, book-length rant) with every doctor I ever interacted with, I do not go to a doctor, unless thereā€™s no other choice. I prefer to do my own research and become an expert on my own body.

I found references to Dr. Fung on the low carb forum about a week ago on ravelry.com (a community for knitters, crocheters, spinners, weavers), read his books and started following his guidelines.

I am currently disabled (diabetic neuropathy from years of eating whatever the heck I wanted to) and what little mobilty I have is done with a rollator or an electric mobilty scooter. Even the neuropathy was misdiagnosed by the doctor I was forced to see as MS. He had a ton of literature for me so I could choose whatever medicine I decided to choose, each with horrific side effects. I chose to never go back.

That was 3 years ago. I do not have MS, not a single symptom correlates to that. I am the victim of my bad food choices, insulin resistance, overwhelming carb cravings, and horrible medical advice.

I started taking inositol powder & choline bitartrate powder to help with insulin sensitivity on June 14, still eating whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted, and over the next several days, unconsciously started reducing what I was eating and not really wanting carbs very much. Drifted into low carb.

My current weight is 172.5. Iā€™m a 5ā€™3" female.

(Susan) #303

Good luck on your fasting and Keto goals, Dee =).

(Failed) #304

Thanks!

(Mame) #305

Happy Friday fasters!

I ended at 44 hours and felt pretty good. numbers at 44 hours before food
bg=71, bk=3.9, gki=1/01

For the first time ever post fast I had the I am eating a meal but I am getting full, really, really quickly. I have been waiting for this to happen. I wasnā€™t eating anything unusual but broke my fast with a typical meal for me: steak, avocado, LC veggies, cheese, few nuts and 100% dark choc. Donā€™t hate me :laughing: my body seems fine when I do this.

Tested my numbers again about 70 minutes pp: bg=87, bk=2.2, gki=2.19

Getting ready for a long weekend at the lake. My goal is to come back from lake lower than when I left. And not pig out. I will be doing some more cold water immersion therapy as well.

Wishing all a pleasant weekend!

(JJ) #306

I am such a lurker on these threads. I love reading about how you are all doing.

I have IF since Christmas just gone, typically 18:6 and always the same hours (midday - 7pm). I have been at goal a few months, there was a time when I kept losing unintentionally, but my weight has actually crept up (!) these past two weeks. I was beginning to struggle at times with IF. Particularly if I was on night shift as I would get cold, nauseous and foggy, but seem to be back to being able to do it easily enough and just store some easy fat in my locker in case I start to feel unwell.
I have decided to fix it up ala Dr Fung and Megan style to keep my body guessing and nip this gain in the bud, before my arse and thighs inflate like a jumping castle again. They do this quickly and without me realising until it is too late typically.

So, I have decided to not eat at work at all anymore and structure fasting/feasting around that. Often work is so busy I donā€™t actually get a meal break anyway. My shifts change all the time between 3x set hours (0700-1530, 1330-2200, 2130-0730) so I will adjust my eating window accordingly. Thinking I will stick as close to 20:4 as I can. From looking at my next week of shifts, I can see that it will mean a 24-26hour fast to shift my eating window across, so that has to be good , right? No more meals to pack either. Yay.

Sorry for my self indulgent post. It is just something I have come to after being a chronic lurker on these threads as well as Zornfasts. I really have taken so much value from what you all have contributed and shared, so thank you!

(Jill Carpenter aka space coast spinster) #307

Canā€™t believe I finally found this thread. :rofl:

So this last week I did 3 48 hour fasts. Was going to go for #4 but had a weak moment this afternoon. Itā€™s the beginning of the weekend. Could be slightly psycological.

It was a great week only consuming something every other night.

Didnā€™t plan it, it just happened.

Debating how to proceed.

Definitely saves on the grocery bill. :joy:

But it seems if I plan on something itā€™s harder than just going with the flow.

Iā€™m thinking to let loose this weekend a bit and maybe try for the same rotation this next week.

Yesterday I was at 195.8, and I think if I can stay under and in onderland itā€™ll motivate me to go another cycle this week.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #308

Started another hopefully 3 day fast after dinner tonight. My best fasts are M,T,W when the social obligations are low. Letā€™s get this started. Happy fasting everyone.

(Susan) #309

@JulesyMcJulesface

Nice, Jules, I am going to continue with 20:4 for IF and Fasting when I feel
like adding that as well. Good luck =-).

@Jill_Carpenter

Wow, Jill, that is great. Good luck for all the autophagy benefits as well =).

@daddyoh

Nice, Eric =) Good luck!

I had a goal of 72 hours but finished at 74, with no appetite, which was a bit upsetting (I ate some turkey from the roast turkey dinner I made, and got full so fast, so didnā€™t eat muchā€¦hopefully tomorrow I can eat more..

(JJ) #310

72, wow you are on fire Susan! You will be rocking your sparkles with even more of a glow. You are doing super well, you just seem to go from strength to strength. You should be incredibly proud of yourself, I think you are flat out amazing.

How long have you been doing the 20:4 gig for?
I have loved it the last few days of 20:4 and weirdly enough, it is the most ā€˜fullā€™ I have felt in the last few months. I am at 23.5 hours now as I have changed from afternoon shifts of the past few days, onto night shifts from tonight, so have moved my eating window across, I have only done an accidental 21-23 once or twice before, when I slept through my eating window but this is feeling GREAT, I am not even feeling any hunger even though I am just puttering around at home cleaning before the inlaws visit.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #311

Iā€™m planning to do another 48ish hour fast again. Probably after supper on the 26 until dinner the 27th. Not sure if Iā€™ll fat-fast or just water/tea fast.

(Failed) #312

I just finished an almost 7 day fast. I ended it 4 hours early because I didnā€™t want the refeeding consequences hitting me in the middle of the night. :persevere:

I lost 11 lbs and reduced my morning BG from 270 to 99. Iā€™ve only eaten a little and plan on starting another EF in a day or 2. I was amazed at how easy it was-way better than calorie restriction eating several times a day. I take inositol and choline bitartrate several times a day and thatā€™s a huge help, totally takes away my appetite.

(Susan) #313

I have been doing a steady 18/6 or 20/4 for quite a while; but more recently the 20/4 =). I was doing some OMAD but that doesnā€™t work well for me because I get full very quickly when I eat, so I was not getting enough calories the days I did OMAD. I had a big stall for almost 2 months, so I think one of the big reasons for it was I was not eating enough calories, and was fasting too much, so my body thought it was in starvation mode. It is awesome to Fast, just I think re-feeding is also important. So I will still fast, but I am not sure the exact times, etc yet as I was having some problems with my past history of eating disorders trying to creep in, so I need to keep mindful of that as well =). I am a stay at home mom, and have my 18,21 and 25 year old here (she is in the midst of house hunting to get a house with her bf and move out again though, was living with him in another city, and just home for a bit inbetween) and my 3 year old grand daughter, so I am busy but not working outside the house. You are doing great, just keep it up, slow and steady is the way to go! =)

(Susan) #314

Best wishes for good results from this upcoming fast =).

(Susan) #315

Wow, Dee, congrats, that is great. 11 pounds, awesome! Well done =).