July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #141

I will end it a little sooner than I hoped.96 instead of 120…
I am not getting past my ‘grumpy hump’ actually it seems to be getting worse. I am actually feeling depressed all day long… Probably too much cortisol. Well let’s feast the next 3 days and then try again on Monday…

(Allie) #142

Well done Claudia :heart:

(Cara) #143

I just did my 1st extended fast. 80hrs. Have been doing keto for 2.5 months. I ate until the evening and then fasted from bedtime onwards. Struggled in the evening particularly around the 16-24hr mark. Headache mainly.
Day 2 and 3 I had occasional gastrointestinal cramping. But otherwise I survived. Drank some black coffee, lots of water, chicken bone broth and multivitamins.
I’m amazed I could do it, given I’m historically someone who was addicted to carb food life.
Got the idea from the Megan podcast on 2 Keto Dudes about changing it up for your metabolism. Prior to this I was pretty much IF eating in the evening and probably not consuming enough calories and so I think my metabolism was sluggish.
xC

(KCKO, KCFO) #144

Broke my fast at a little over 46 hrs. had a refeed meal and will do at least another 24 hrs, maybe 36 depending on how I feel.

(Beth) #145

I’m hanging with you, girl!!!
Just hit 96 hours. I love this point: fewer hunger pangs, good energy and I LOVE the mental clarity. My brain is rockin’! I am cranking out work left and right. Multi-tasking like a fiend. Days 2 and 3 feel like wading through mud but Day 4 and after are marvelous. The hard part for me is getting there. :laughing:

(Beth) #146

Way to go, Cara!!! That’s great!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #147

Good to hear :slight_smile:
That is usually how I feel too. But this week it just didn’t happen…
My dinner did help. I overdid it a bit and got a little stomach ache but was feeling a lot better moodvise…

Just did 2x 36hr fasts this week- enough to get me back to my maintenance weight.
Well done to all you others! :smile:

I just finnished a meal this morning, and plan to fast minimum 24h, more if it seems possible. I have a few 50h-60h fasts, i have never gone longer, and always ending because of persistant hunger, headaches and beeing very cold.

I hear so many of you saying that after the first… the second… or the third day… all troubles melt away like lemon-drops. Is it really true? Should i just push through to experience this, or is it something that developes after having done many fasts?:upside_down_face:

(Cara) #150

Thanks Beth :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #151

For me usually day 3, yes. but it really depends. this time I just got from grumpy to depressed and had to stop even though I was not hungry.

I loved the first 10-15 episodes of the “Fasting Talk” podcast with jimmy moore. Even though his moderating style annoys me a bit, I just loooove the insights Megan Ramos shares. I just relisten them all the time…

Maybe you need to load up on fat, for example Avocados before the fast? And don’t forget the salt. it helps a lot…

UPDATE: Also when I do cardio on day 3 (like Zumba) I have to push a bit for the first 15 minutes, and then it’s like i feel the switch between Glycogen and Ketones happening. Then I feel like I cannot stop and then I go home, clean and tidy up everything in sight and have real trouble going to bed on time.

Maybe that’s because I have lots of bodyfat to feed from…

(Allie) #152

Not really I’m afraid. Longest I’ve gone is 120 hours, five days, and just ONCE have I suddenly felt good on day 4…

Day 1 is the hardest for me, day 2 not too bad, I’ve felt really good on day 3, but seem to get stomach issues after that so it’s the longest I’ve gone! (I was close to target weight when I started EF anyway) I do get cold, but then I’m cold a lot of the time anyway! If you’re getting headaches, maybe you need more salt?

(Beth) #154

I think it depends on why you’re fasting.
I only added EF after some scary health diagnoses that I need to address. If I didn’t have those, I would stick to fasts more along the lines of what you’re doing. But thanks for that awesome line - I’m going to start calling Day 4 and beyond the Lemon Drop Phase. :laughing:
Maybe it’ll help motivate me.

Hi all, just wanted to check in after an AMAZING hot yoga class on day 3 of an EF. Last EF, I did a class on day 2 and it was unusually hot and I was wiped out after and ended up wrapping up the fast early. Today was fantastic - I felt strong and clear and I enjoyed every second. Very happy :grin:

I’ve been having BPC in the mornings and yesterday had two spoonfuls of coconut butter when I was feeling a bit off. Otherwise, water and some magnesium. Almost no salt this time around. I was very proactive with it last time and I actually didn’t feel quite right, so I decided to add it when I felt I was dragging (which I haven’t yet).

For all fasters: check out Rhonda Patrick’s new interview with Valter Longo. Lots of great info about fasting. He’s actually not a fan of long-term keto but he’s done a lot of research on fasting and it’s very interesting.

Yes, after I started drinking keto-aid with salt, the headaches stopped :ok_hand:t2::+1:t2:. Still the hunger stops me,

I have 40 pounds overweight, so I should be able to fast longer without slowing metabolism. I have been stalled for so long (1 year), so I want to force it to happen now. I have no problems with KCKO, but even if its just 10 pounds down in a year, I dont want to be at the exact same place a year from now.

Maybe its a mental thing, maybe I must find a way to deal with the hunger, and when I read about the longer fasts people are doing, I think if I could just reach the lemon-drop fase, I could just keep going and really get to a new place on the scale.

But normaly my thoughts get more and more obsessed with food, and the hunger seems impossible to deal with.

(icky) #157

I need to fast… I had a super important work event today… Super, super important and the meals were such that Keto was not an option at all… Not even semi-keto… I think I ate a week’s worth of carbs today… That’d be… 140 g of carbs right? (20 g x 7)

Ugh… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::confounded::confused::tired_face:

3 days of fasting should fix it, I think?

- trying to stay calm and not to feel ill - :person_in_lotus_position:t3:

(Allie) #158

Don’t beat yourself up, just get back on track. These things happen.

(icky) #159

Oh, I’m not beating myself up :smile:

I’m just queasy and nauseous :joy::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::face_vomiting:

I just want to feel well again :heart_eyes:

Fasting :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Keto :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Allie) #160

You’ll be back to feeling fabulous very soon I’m sure :heart: