July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #121

Needed a tbsp of coconut oil before driving lessons, my brain was a little weird. The coconut oil helped a lot.
Did a 12 minute mini pilates did 22’000 steps today and now I’m getting ready to go to bed at 50 hours.

(Allie) #122

I just did 22 hours but those hours happened naturally with me just not being hungry so all good.

(Beth) #123

Go girl! I’m at 44 hours. Really appreciate the accountability and support in this thread, because it’s keeping me on track! I’m ten pounds from goal and i want to get this DONE.

(Aimee Moisa) #124

I’ve already gone two hours past yesterday’s attempt at IF. Broth is helping, I’m getting used to it, and I’m doing things like closing my door at lunch so I can’t smell everyone else’s food prep in the break room.

(Aimee Moisa) #125

I’m starting to want to move. Is an increase in energy normal for about 19 hours into a fast?

It’s a good sign!!

(Beth) #127

It helped me to put my daily tablespoon of HWC in my broth instead of my coffee when I started fasting: pseudo cream of chicken soup, with plenty of salt! It still helps me when people at work are eating tempting stuff around me. And yes, I get the energy surges too. Lately I find I now feel physically better when fasting (energy, clarity, focus) than after eating.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #128

Mine is usually at day 3 . Then again I have PCOS and need quite some time to get into deep ketosis. I never eat lunch at work because it makes me sleepy, I like to go for a walk instead and listen to podcasts…

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #129

just past 60 hrs. slight foggy brain. had a tiny slice of butter with salt to get me over the hump…
Gurgling does not stop. can’t wait for the next 12 hrs when this annoying symptom finally stops…

Tired a 5 minute headspace meditation to facilitate sleep. It knocked me out before the 5 minutes were over XD …

(Aimee Moisa) #130

Without going into any details I will say that it looks like I am not emotionally ready to fast. Fasting yesterday triggered a binge. I am not regretful or even feel mildly bad about it. My personal n=1 is just as much to teach me how to live binge free as it is how to tweak keto so it works best for me. I will go back to eating keto when hungry to satiety and I will just have to try fasting again later. Thanks for all your help! :slight_smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #131

Started a 36 hr. fast last night, I hit the top of my preferred weight range, so time to do some fasting to drive it back down to the bottom of the range. I will be doing broth, so hopefully I can extend it past the 36, but that is my first goal.

It has been record breaking high temps here for a while, so getting outside to move more has been limited. I think that is why I bounced to the top. I am sure the fasting can drive it back down.

IF alone usually keeps me in my range. I weigh daily but do not let that rule me, so I have my range and as long as I am within it, I’m a happy camper. But I don’t like being at the top as much as I like being at the bottom of it. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to keep no more than 2lbs over, I know things can vary by 2lbs easily in a day anyway, but I’m trying to wean myself off weighing every day too, just down to once or twice a week now!
Doing 2 x 24hr or 36hr fasts this week. I’ve been feeling a bit sick when fasting this week; salt & sparkling water has helped… not sure why the sick feeling, probably the UK heat & doing more exercise the last couple of weeks got electrolytes out of kilter? Every time I think I’ve got the hang of them… no cramp recently though :smile:
I’m away next week, staying with a friend so doing keto will be very difficult, an EF will be needed when I get home!!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #133

reaching 72 hours. I really look forward to be less irritable tomorrow.
But seriously, today was not my day at work… :weary::exploding_head:

Aimee, this sounds wise! Best of luck going forward.

To save for later in case it’s useful: I also have a tricky time coming out of fasting. Not all-out binges, but I have chaotic and slightly panicky eating after a fast. It was pronounced enough that I stopped fasting for a full year even though the fasts themselves were great and I really believe in fasting.

This summer I’m trying again, and my goal is to really focus on that transition back to eating. The fasts have almost their own momentum but it’s the time after that needs strong intention and focus. I’ve been moderately successful, but I’m pretty sure it’s getting better, and what seems to work best is to be kind to myself as I come out of the fast. Really kind, even tender, the way I might treat a baby in my care: sensitive to how I’m feeling, what I need, preparing food lovingly. If/when you’re ready to try again and feel like checking in with me, I can let you know how it went for me over time!

(Beth) #135

What’s your range you try to stay in?Five pounds? And is 36 hours usually enough to get you back down to the lower end of it?

(KCKO, KCFO) #136

Three lbs. and yeah, a 36 hr. fast will easily let me drop at least two lbs. When I am not eating at home I can easily bounce up 3 lbs. Usually the fasting and doing my own cooking gets me right back down where I want to be. If I end up doing a longer fast, I can drop as much as 6 lbs. Keeping them off is another issue when I do my refeed however.

I have been playing with the idea of setting a new goal weight. Just not sure it would even be worth the effort. I’m 69 now and have no health issues to highly motivate me to dropping to the bottom of my healthy weight range. I am maintaining my current weight easily, so I guess it is my Phinney weight. Going lower would involve more struggles then I want to take on currently. But who knows? I might just wake up and decide to go for it. Just not today.

(Aimee Moisa) #137

Thanks @Madeleine. You sound like you really know what’s going on. I’m keeping my mind open to doing it again.

(Shayne) #138

This is good to know as my last serum ferritin was way too high and it totally confused my doctor. High ferritin seems to be another inflammatory marker, so I’ll keep that in my toolbelt to try to get it to come down.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #139

anyone still hangin in there?
if you don’t count that slab of salted butter I had yesterday I am reaching 86 hrs now…

(KCKO, KCFO) #140

I’m a couple of hours past my goal of 36 hrs. still not hungry so not in the mood to break the fast at that goal time. This heat wave doesn’t make me want to eat either. Just gonna roll with the “no interest in food right now feeling.”