July 2018 IF / EF chat ALL WELCOME

(Laura Morales) #61

So I made it to 72 hours and stopped my clock for 4th of July. There were a few things I didn’t do.
1: only kept my eating window for an hour so I didn’t over eat.
2: Only ate Keto. No rice, toritallas or cake!
3: Didn’t drink anything BUT water.
It was a great success on my behalf and I’m quite proud. I started my fast again at 1PM yesterday and I’m 2 hours from completing my first 24 again. I have birthdays this month, four of them! Moms, brothers, two nephews and we will be celebrating. I want to be able to control myself and just fast through it all, but I know many of you know how hard it is to be around delicious food and have to constantly say “No Thanks, not eating right now” I always say, “Oh yeah for sure, just let me say Hi to everyone” I repeat that to everyone who asks me if I ate already LOL!!
Keep Strong Fam.

(Beth) #62

That’s awesome, Laura!!! Great job! And I love your response at parties, thank you for posting because I’m going to adopt that one.

36hrs in- as usual have woken early after a FD! Oh well, more time to fit in a HIIT workout & the squats…
Stay strong everyone fasting, & @fischersd Happy Birthday!

(Allie) #64

85 hours in and still good. Got some ghrelin gremlins this morning but feel fine otherwise.

Morning bloods - glucose more what I’d expect at 4.2 and ketones 3.3

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #65

Eating Day today!

By the end of fasting day yesterday I was feeling pretty blah and foggy. I had my full serving of electrolytes, lots of water with extra salt, some more salt under my tongue and my 2 fat salted coffees. Maybe I’m just over this heat and humidity LOL.

(Allie) #66

I can relate to this! Needs me some salt… I have Celtic grey sea salt in my drawer here at work :slight_smile:

(Steve) #67

Thanks, but it’s actually tomorrow (the 7th) - heh - unless you’re on the other side of the date line and it’s the 7th already there. :slight_smile:

The big 5-0 :wink: Heh. Age isn’t a thing for me…and this WOE is only going to make us all younger!!! :smiley:

(Central Florida Bob ) #68

My second full week of ADF comes to a close with an eating day today, and the changes are still good.

This week, the scale dropped another four pounds. I’m guessing that will go back up about two by the start of the next fasting day on Sunday. I don’t weigh myself everyday - I find the measurement too noisy to get much information out of.

The fasting was easier. On Sunday and Tuesday, I had a teaspoon or so of butter with my daily pills and didn’t have an upset stomach. Last night, I actually forgot the butter and didn’t get an upset stomach. Which means I’ll try not having butter and see how that goes. Maybe the body adapts - learns - and the first couple of fasting days are different.

(Allie) #69

That moment when you quickly shove your milk frother into your back pocket to zap your butter into your coffee at work and the switch catches, turns it on, and makes a vibrating noise that sounds like something else in an office full of people…

(KCKO, KCFO) #70

:joy::rofl::joy:

(Doug) #71

Hahahahahaa!! :smile: Classic, Allie.

(Allie) #72

Evening numbers -
Ketones 5.5
Glucose 3.6

More what I’d expect for a fast this length.

I’m feeling good still, so am going to break fast this evening after gym when it’ll be the 96 hours I planned from the start. I’ve decided on this because the weekend starts tomorrow and it’s been a crap week and I want to spend some quality time with my man over the next couple of days as he’s been struggling badly this week. Whenever I break fast I end up feeling horrifically tired, I’m guessing because my body suddenly realises it has to digest food again, and I’d rather that happen in the evening than he morning.

I may jump straight back in on Monday and do a five day, but only if I feel up to it.

(Annie M.) #73

New here to the forum. I’m trying to search for posts addressing feeling cold while fasting. I’m not entirely new to fasting; been doing 18:6, 24-36, and a few 96+ fasts since January with a mix of carb counting keto and lazy keto since August 2017. I’ve never done a glucose or ketone monitor - may spring for one when we can budget it but part of the draw to keto and fasting is that it’s FREE. Love that. Dietdoctor was a great site that first helped me learn and get started eating keto. Weight loss was great initially but has been slow/ not happening the past few months. I get a metallic taste off and on when keto and a dry mouth when fasting so in addition to not feeling super hungry I perceive those as signs that I’m usually in a keto state.

I don’t recall this from early fasts - I recall feeling pretty great for the most part, but for the past 2-3 months, I feel very cold as soon as it’s been 12-ish hours past my last end of a feast. I finished eating around 7:30 last night and it’s just past noon now; I’ve felt cold since around 8a! I recall Dr. Fung talking about being cold being a sign of a slowing metabolism but then I’ve also read that it’s normal… at the very least it’s uncomfortable but a slowing metabolism is concerning! My weight is around 145 and I’m 5’4". Per my general bone frame/age (39) I’d be happy to just lose about 10 to maybe 15 more pounds but I am fighting out of the 140s. I’d love a keto meter as I’m a numbers person and it would feel validating to know that I had ketones in my blood and see what that meant in comparison to these cold feelings but have to wait on that for now.

Anyway - looking forward to following posts here and learning and chiming in when I can.

I’m always cold anyway, but it’s definitely worse when fasting. I’ve done 24hr fasts for nearly a year, EF for a couple of months. Keto is supposed to fix your metabolism… have you had your thyroid checked? That can cause feeling cold, or is it just a fasting thing?

(KCKO, KCFO) #75

Made it to 38+ hrs. Decided I wanted to eat, I was doing ok with not eating, but I realized we needed to do grocery shopping and I hate doing that fasted. So I had lunch and went to Costco afterwards.

Now I have to find some good recipes using fresh figs. Eating one a day works but Costco packages them by the 20 to a box. DH can’t eat many or he lives in the bathroom. So I am thinking there must be some keto figgy things out on the 'net. So I’m heading over to some of those now.

Have a great Friday everyone.

(Annie M.) #76

Thanks, Jules. I think it’s just a feeling I get when fasted. I don’t think I’ve read that keto can help fix your metabolism but that would be great. I was having headaches (I actually still get them sometimes) a few months after starting keto last fall went to my primary care doc. They ran bloodwork - I’d wondered if thyroid was a problem but bloodwork came back all ok. The dr. said to stop keto if my headaches continued. They actually mostly went away but I’ve been having them recently again. :frowning: I wish I knew of a dr. who would be familiar with at least keto if not fasting to really help me figure out what’s up.

(Beth) #77

Way to rock it, Bob! This is so awesome that ADF is working so well for you!!!

(Beth) #78

@clothAnnie This happened to me too, in fact I was freezing on my first extended fast of several days. It has gotten much better after doing several fasts of 2 to 4 days, refeeding for 1 to 4 meals, then back to fasting anywhere from 48 to 96 hours.
Now I don’t feel cold any more than normal. I think changing up the lengths of fasting and refeeding helps my metabolism to not slow or try to conserve energy. If anything it seems to have improved: more energy, rarely feel lethargic or tired now. I think it has kept my body guessing, which Dr Fung says is what you want.
I have also finally lost weight doing this, so hang in there. I am 5’3” and by doing this I have gone from 150 to 128 as of yesterday. I was stuck for months at 145 doing keto but adding in the fasting changed it.
You can do it!!!

(Allie) #79

This weeks fast was the first EF when I didn’t feel cold. I even used to feel cold throughout the mornings when I was doing IF, until I got more used to it now it’s not an issue.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #80

I’m 5’3” too :raising_hand_woman:‍♀

Fasting day today which is good because the past 2 (at least) eating days I have not been hungry AT. ALL. Eating was a chore and I had some good stuff ready :confused:. I like routine but It doesn’t seem right to force myself to eat when not hungry.

Anyone on here regularly fasting intuitively? How’s that going?

I’ve also been hugely fatigued the last couple of days. “Leg Day” did not go well yesterday :sob:.

I bet I’ll be ravenous today since It’s fasting day🙄